Where Did Everyone Go?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Excellent! Let's get obscure and discuss the finer points of advanced karate. That may leave out some YouTube karate experts, though - Too bad.

Re: the drop off in posters, it has gone way down this year. Those that purposely post provocative or illogical/dumb points just to be contrary and get a rise out of others may be a contributing factor; along with prolonged back and forth between two posters, each trying to top the other. It is boring to the rest of us. After 3 such back and forths each, if there is no agreement or compromise between the two, they should disengage and not consider it a surrender. It's actually a victory for the rest of us. Perhaps a Moderator could step in and suggest a conclusion to the dialog?
so in summary , you want any discusions you find boring to be shut down, whilst any discusions you enjoy to be alliwed to contibue even if other people find them boring

is that a fair summation?

have you considered the application of freewill and just dont read them?

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
yes they are, 10 years ago you could find an active forum on nearly and topic of intrest,
its hard to say why that may be, lot of reasons i suggest, moderation id one key reason, with mods shutting down any debate that becomes passioned, as people generaly want to talk about thibgs they feel pasiobate about with people who are equally passionate, it becomes an exercise in futility and peopke just go else where,, nothing kills a forum faster than a whole lot of people agreeing with each other , who wants to read that, apart from the people who cant stand being disagreed with, they go off and start their own fqcebook group were no one can disgree.

i returned to a cycling forum, that 8 tears ago had 50 ir 60 active members arguing with extreme passion on the merits of varius chain lubrication, its not just ma that gets lost in the detail, i was verbally attacked threaten with violance and suvsequently banned for saying i put wd 40 on my chain. which no one else agreed with

now there just two old blokes agreeing with each other on being old is&&%%

i used to go on conspiracy site, where people threatenibg to stab me, fire bomb my house or sugesting we shoukd meet and sort it out like men was extremly common,

they never once turned up or maybe they did and realisibg how big i was kept going, i miss the wild west internet

they eventually banned all the people who didnt think the world was flat, that we were rule by shape shifting pan dimebtial beings or that you are enslaved by your birth certificate and the site just died of agreement

it was a little like going to the asylum to laugh at the loonies, but it pasted an hour on pleasantly enough
Holy crap that's intense... :s. It's amazing what people say behind the safety and distance of the internet that they frankly most likely wouldn't say when standing in front of them

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I actually put someone on the ignore list and it's been pretty nice. Hopefully that helps with the back and forth you mention. I'll not contribute to it anymore. :(
I've never put anyone on it... yet haha. It'd have to be a massively motivated reason haha

And re: coffee forums, I'm on 2 of them, one of them is dead quiet, and the other a fair bit of activity. But it has gotten a bit heated in there. It's interesting what gets discussed, but it seems of late that 90% is mainly threads about equipment and 'help me my machine/grinder isn't workiiiiiing'.

I prefer the more technical/art side of things, moreso brewing techniques, recipes, distribution, latte art etc. And chatting about what we're roasting and what new things we're trying out is fun too.

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Holy crap that's intense... :s. It's amazing what people say behind the safety and distance of the internet that they frankly most likely wouldn't say when standing in front of them
i think people just react very badly to anyone having an opinion that differs greatly from there own, particularly if that opinion out logics their own

its the whole safe place thing, where peopke want to be issoaled from divergent views, so they never have to consider the possibility that they are ilinformed incorrect or just out and out wrong

you see it oft on her where clearly 3educated people start with personal insults the moment their logic fails them.or want someone banned, socially ostracized or just the esatblishment of a safe place where they dont have to hear any other opinion, the ignore button us just a put your fingers in your ears, im not listening " safe place" by another name

"" oh no, someone disagrees" got to stop their views reaching me"

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
so in summary , you want any discusions you find boring to be shut down, whilst any discusions you enjoy to be alliwed to contibue even if other people find them boring

is that a fair summation?

have you considered the application of freewill and just dont read them?

That is not a fair summation at all of what I said. You are making leaps of erroneous conclusions. Never suggested anything "be shut down." This is product invented in your ever-contrary mind. Suggesting that participants in endless back and forth dialogs try to get to some mutual agreement or stop repeatedly butting their heads against the wall (with some input from our friendly Moderators if helpful) is a far cry from what you represented.

The way you twisted my post to appear over-extreme is an example of the purposely grating remarks that serve only to provoke, and do not serve the exchange of honest (agreeing or disagreeing) opinions. Perhaps my post hit a little too close to home?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I found that economic changes are reflected in forum usage.
A forum I used to frequent saw a significant drop in members in 2008, when the recession hit.
It was about horses, so the lack of money forced a lot of people to sell, or rather give away.
(the climate also changed, people were not as nice anymore)
They shot themselves in the foot when they made the occasional treat of an off-topic day a permanent fixture. You didn't forget the loonies in between sessions anymore, and that bled into the related discussions.
then ownership changed, and moderation became lob sided.
(and then I got banned 4 or 5 times, mostly for creating alts. Now I hardly ever check, usually only when I have hotel internet - because IP banned, LOL)

MT suffered when the political debate was banned.
All life is political, and one can't discuss certain aspects in society without the topic becoming political.
However, the attic and basement were over the top. I don't miss the Russian troll bot who had some outlandish theories he was spreading.

and the younger generation is not into forums. Too static.
Even FB is losing it's appeal (it's moderation is also very onesided)

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I found that economic changes are reflected in forum usage.
Hi, Granfire. I remember you from the "before times". Are you still kicking? I worked out a few years ago with some people that belonged to Dr. Kimm's org, and I recall talking about Hanmudo a few times with you and wondered how you were doing.

Sadly I think many of the people I used to interact with were older than me, and they may not be in the martial arts anymore even if they are still around.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That is not a fair summation at all of what I said. You are making leaps of erroneous conclusions. Never suggested anything "be shut down." This is product invented in your ever-contrary mind. Suggesting that participants in endless back and forth dialogs try to get to some mutual agreement or stop repeatedly butting their heads against the wall (with some input from our friendly Moderators if helpful) is a far cry from what you represented.

The way you twisted my post to appear over-extreme is an example of the purposely grating remarks that serve only to provoke, and do not serve the exchange of honest (agreeing or disagreeing) opinions. Perhaps my post hit a little too close to home?
thats exaxtly what you said and youve just reiterated in different words

that threads you find boring should be closed by the mods, it probebly teue that the peopke involved dont find them boring, or they would stop

so the only person objecting is you, but you want the whole forum moderated to your whims

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi, Granfire. I remember you from the "before times". Are you still kicking? I worked out a few years ago with some people that belonged to Dr. Kimm's org, and I recall talking about Hanmudo a few times with you and wondered how you were doing.

Sadly I think many of the people I used to interact with were older than me, and they may not be in the martial arts anymore even if they are still around.
I am doing good.
Life got in the way of me training, so I have not seen the inside of a dojo in a while (and I hated the direction the school was going)
Just putzing around these days, but need to reactivate this old body.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
thats exaxtly what you said and youve just reiterated in different words
that threads you find boring should be closed by the mods, it probebly teue that the peopke involved dont find them boring, or they would stop
so the only person objecting is you, but you want the whole forum moderated to your whims
Please quote my post where I say threads should be closed, or heavily moderated by anyone.

You're ridiculous. It seems were are in different dimensions of reality. I'm disengaging. Goodbye.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Please quote my post where I say threads should be closed, or heavily moderated by anyone.

You're ridiculous. It seems were are in different dimensions of reality. I'm disengaging. Goodbye.
goodbye.

thats what i said above about people just flouncing off if anyone dares to disagree

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Perhaps a Moderator could step in and suggest a conclusion to the dialog?

The forums definitely used to be more strongly moderated. It seems more like a free-for-all right now with people from different styles freely crossing over into karate, for example, and offering their opinions on why karate should or should not do. We used to reserve the General Talk forum for that.

These days I prefer my threads more tightly focused. Hmm.

Latest Discussions