Where are your stripes?

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
When it comes to stuff like what is on your belt, like Grandma used to say: "It ain't the crust that makes the pie, it's the fillin' . " Of course there is this thing called "Uniform"

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I get to 1st dan, I’m going to wear it on the left this time for this reason. There’s no rule to which side, except this rule. I just wish the belt or at least the stripes were blue.
Get the back-side done in blue. Nobody will know but you until it flips.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When it comes to stuff like what is on your belt, like Grandma used to say: "It ain't the crust that makes the pie, it's the fillin' . " Of course there is this thing called "Uniform"
I don't know, Earl. Soggy crust can ruin an otherwise great pie. I have no idea what that has to do with belt stripes, but now I want some pie.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Don't suppose you happened to ask your GM or will have the opportunity soon, I'm interested in the coincidence now?
I will tomorrow.
At last months testing he did talk about how he has given many belts of his old belts to BB's for various reasons. He used this example; of one of his highest ranking BB's has struggled with alcoholism his entire life. Our GM laments things like this and has went much farther in supporting and helping than the everyday person would. So much so people looking at from the outside have gotten offended. It is a Korean culture thing that is hard for most others to understand. I am not going to wax religion but it much like the lost sheep story.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I will tomorrow.
At last months testing he did talk about how he has given many belts of his old belts to BB's for various reasons. He used this example; of one of his highest ranking BB's has struggled with alcoholism his entire life. Our GM laments things like this and has went much farther in supporting and helping than the everyday person would. So much so people looking at from the outside have gotten offended. It is a Korean culture thing that is hard for most others to understand. I am not going to wax religion but it much like the lost sheep story.

Yeah, I agree.

We have a few people that used to train with us, then left suddenly and opened up their own dojang a few miles down the road. They also said a lot of bad things about me and my club. However, one of my students was shocked last night when I said that if they came back to our club I'd still teach them. She thought they'd burned their bridges.

I said as a senior, it's my job to teach people that the right way is inclusion and forgiveness not exclusion and holding on to grudges. It's like a parent disowning a child for wrongs they may have done. The child may need to "make up" for the wrongs done, but the parent shouldn't write them off.

How seniors treat juniors though is much less forgivable for me (because they should know better and be setting the example).

Just my viewpoint, but it has changed over the years and probably matches Korean feelings quite well at this point.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree.

We have a few people that used to train with us, then left suddenly and opened up their own dojang a few miles down the road. They also said a lot of bad things about me and my club. However, one of my students was shocked last night when I said that if they came back to our club I'd still teach them. She thought they'd burned their bridges.

I said as a senior, it's my job to teach people that the right way is inclusion and forgiveness not exclusion and holding on to grudges. It's like a parent disowning a child for wrongs they may have done. The child may need to "make up" for the wrongs done, but the parent shouldn't write them off.

How seniors treat juniors though is much less forgivable for me (because they should know better and be setting the example).

Just my viewpoint, but it has changed over the years and probably matches Korean feelings quite well at this point.
Well said.

CKB

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In Taekwondo and when practicing Hapkido with my own students, I wear a belt that has nothing on it except my name embroidered in roman and korean letters. When practicing Hapkido with my grand master, I tend to wear the belt I got from him, which has 3 gold stripes.

As to what side I wear them, looking trough my pictures, it seems I mostly wear them on the right side, but I also see pictures with them on the left side. The same seems to be the case with my masters, as their stripes also seem to "wander" a bit between left and right in various pictures, and there are even pictures where they have it on different sides on the same picture, so my conclusion is that it is not something we worry about. :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

It is so much the crust that makes the pie by the way.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I had to go look at my belt. I have stripes on both ends.

I may look at all my socks next.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is so much the crust that makes the pie by the way.

I don't know. I had key lime pie for the first time on Wednesday. It was definitely the key lime that made that pie.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You wear socks on the islands?

Well, yeah. How else would I converse with puppets?

SockPuppet.jpg

Latest Discussions