Please tell me

A

Andy Cap

I have a really simple question here.

What side you your dans where their stripes? For example a 2nd dan has two stripes on teh end of their belt, on the left or right?

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine has the stripes on both ends. TW

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you only stripe one side of the belt it's always on the left.:asian:

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We just use a number on one side below the student's name in Hangul, no stripes.

Our Grandmaster's belts didn't even have numbers on them, just his name (I'm assuming).

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Our black belts have the name our our organization written in Hangul at one end, and our name and rank in Hangul at the other end. No one has ever told me that it matters which end is one which side.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Andy Cap said:
I have a really simple question here.

What side you your dans where their stripes? For example a 2nd dan has two stripes on teh end of their belt, on the left or right?

I noticed this thread from awhile ago, and there was only one answer given, which is contrary to my to my answer (sorry Terry :) ), so I wanted to add my response.

In all of the Taekwondo Organizations I have trained, and taught with (from ATA in the 70s, to Jidokwan in the 80s and 90s, to Chung Do Kwan since 2000), the rank stripes on a Black Belt are always displayed on the wearer's right-hand side. Some don't use stripes or any writing on belts. Some ony write the words in Korean, or their native language. Others will put the stripes on both sides, but typically, throughout the Taekwondo community, I believe it is most common to wear the stripes only on the right-hand side.

Sometimes white tape is placed near the end of the belt ("Dhi" &#46944; or "Dhee" - one stripe for each degree), or white or gold stripes are embroidered on the belt. I have seen embroidered gold stipes used for degrees on one side, and white tape used for interim tests between degrees on the left. If Degree stripes are only worn on one side, it is of preference for students to be uniform and consistent, so one side should be designated.

In Martial Art custom, the right side of the room is considered senior, and the left junior. The right is dominant over the left (as in the Taegeuk of the Korean Flag). Top is dominant over bottom, and front over back. In a military format, higher ranks line up in the front, and to the right. The senior ranking student (seon bae &#49440;&#48176; or "seon bae nim" - pronounced "suhn bah neem"), should be able to look to his/her left at their junior ranking student (hu bae &#54980;&#48176; or hu bae nim - pronounced "who bah neem") and see their stripes on the right hand side.

Some people might say, "what does it matter?" In my opinion, there is more to Martial Art education than physical skills. Philosophy is of great importance. A student who wears a belt hung uneven, besides needing to learn neatness, shows a lack of balance in their life, and perhaps in their Martial Art training. When students ask their teachers, "Why do the ends of the belt need to be even?", or "why do the stripes go on the right?", or "why do we wear belts at all?", it shows the student's interest in learning the "meaning" behind things. This opens up a dialogue leading to a larger understanding of Martial Art philosophy, and eventully to the students enlightenment. For children, I explain the philosophy; for an adult, an instructor could simply answer, "the shadow of the Earth is not square. Ponder that for a few days, then when you think you understand its meaning, come and talk to me again. :) "

As for the stripe on the right-hand side, this has been the approach that I am familiar with, and seen more often in Taekwondo Dojang around the world over the past three decades - - not to say that other ways are wrong. ;)

Senior Master Eisenhart

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm a Taekwondo practitioner, so yea we sport our dan ranks on our BBs (We're affiliated with the Kukkiwon). Anyway, the normal practice at my WTF dojang is to wear our belts with the gold dan rank stripes on the right side and our dojang's script and characters on the left side ...:asian:

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As for the stripe on the right-hand side, this has been the approach that I am familiar with, and seen more often in Taekwondo Dojang around the world over the past three decades - - not to say that other ways are wrong. ;)

Senior Master Eisenhart[/quote]

I've more often seen it on the left in TKD. That's where I wear mine. I will however, be changing to the right side, Master E. :asian:

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Last Fearner said:
I noticed this thread from awhile ago, and there was only one answer given, which is contrary to my to my answer (sorry Terry :) ), so I wanted to add my response.
I believe it is most common to wear the stripes only on the right-hand side.
In Martial Art custom, the right side of the room is considered senior, and the left junior. The right is dominant over the left (as in the Taegeuk of the Korean Flag). Top is dominant over bottom, and front over back. In a military format, higher ranks line up in the front, and to the right. The senior ranking student (seon bae &#49440;&#48176; or "seon bae nim" - pronounced "suhn bah neem"), should be able to look to his/her left at their junior ranking student (hu bae &#54980;&#48176; or hu bae nim - pronounced "who bah neem") and see their stripes on the right hand side.

Thank you for a very informative and enlightening post sir. This clearly explains why the dan rank bars/stripes on our TKD BB should always be worn on the right side... :asian:

Latest Discussions