Where are they now

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
I believe he recently sold his look-alike business (still occasionally does stand-in work and double work for Clint Eastwood - see Robin Hood Men in Tights for a cheap thrill) and tried to move the Oregon coast...hated it, and returned to Joshua Tree.
I was recently corrected by Mike Richardson that Mr. Dimmick still lives on the Oregon Coast and will remain there. Don't think he has a school, though.

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Straight Blast said:
Does anyone know whatever happened to Joe Dimmick, Ed Booze, Wayne Collier, Fred Brewster or Sandy Sandovol. It's like they all just dropped off the planet.

Hi Folks!
Let's see what I can do to help you...
Joe Dimmick, Founder of Sampai kenpo, is the owner of "Dimmick's Doubles" which has a website on the net. Mr . Dimmick was known for his resemblence to Clint Eastwood and he has a stable of celebrity inpersonators.

Ed Booze is a high ranking Black Belt in the IKCA and was featured in the Black Belt video magazine and I believe the freestyle sparring tape for the IKCA.

I hope that i was of some service,
KENPOJOE

OP
R

RCastillo

Goldendragon7 said:
Joe Dmmick own "Demicks Doubles" a talent agency for celebrity look alikes.

Ed Booze had a studio in Long Beach for years and is probably still in the area.

Fred Brewster was recently at Frank Trejos tournament in Long Beach in February.

Wayne Collier was a 1st Brown Belt under Bob White then got hired by Mr. Parker and promoted to Black. (Mr. White just told me.)

Sandy........... well Sandy is Sandy I hope he is ok.

Why are you hoping? Guilty are we? :idunno:

OP

2girlsmommie

shesulsa said:
Mr. Joe Dimmick lived in Joshua Tree for a long time and taught Steven Freers, Michael Persons, and at least a dozen others his version of Kenpo. I was a student of his style for a while, taught to me by Mike Richardson.

I met with Mr. Dimmick and talked with his black belts and their black belts (one of whom is my ex-hubby). He tried to bring softness into Kenpo and modified some techniques to go with the flow of the attacker, capitalizing on the economy of motion when Mr. Parker told him to choose - EPs way or the highway, so he picked the highway and taught as a 10th degree many folks in Southern California.

I believe he recently sold his look-alike business (still occasionally does stand-in work and double work for Clint Eastwood - see Robin Hood Men in Tights for a cheap thrill) and tried to move the Oregon coast...hated it, and returned to Joshua Tree. Getting on in years now and is having some health issues. He slowed his teaching way down after his wife and in-laws saw what he could do with chi flow and said they thought it was the devil's work and wanted him to stop. He caved.

I also was close friends for a while with his babysitter, L.C. She got to brown and then went on with her life.

I would like to attend one seminar by that man before he passes on. If you're out there and reading this, Mr. Dimmick, Mike Richardson's 4th wife would like to invite you to Southwest Washington for a visit.

Humbly, G.K.
Hello there,

Just thought you might want to read a bit of corrected information regarding my dad, Joe Dimmick.

My dad is still in Oregon and absolutely loves it. He still owns his Doubles company as well. He is not in poor health, nor is he due to pass on prior to giving any seminars. I'm not quite sure how the rumors all began, but I must say my husband and I got quite a laugh with this information. I don't mean this in a harsh way, we just find it humorous how information passes on. Therefore, thought I'd post some accurate information for those interested in what he's really up to.

As for his wife and in-laws saying it's the devils work so he caved??? Hmmmm. For those of you that actually know my dad, "CAVE" really isn't in his vocabulary. First of all, my mother is a black belt herself, so I'm not thinking she thought it was the devil's work? My grandparents (his in-laws) have been dead for over a decade, and they NEVER thought it was the devil's work....hmmm. He and my mom did divorce a few years back and he is remarried, but again....they don't think it's the devil's work either. Therefore, no "caving" as you put it.

As for my babysitter...."L.C.". As I, like you said about my father, am getting up in years, I have no recolection of a babysitter with those initials. We did have a nanny for several years, but those were not her initials. However, if you'd like to give me the full name, I might be of some assistance.

Sorry if this takes the excitement out of your post, but I had to correct some very inaccurate information.

Best,
RS
One of Joe's Daughters

OP
M

Mark Weiser

I always get a real kick when this happens LOL!!

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
LOL - Me too! Please let me dish up my own rather large serving of humble pie...yummy!

Hello, 2girlsmommie. All of the info I received and errantly passed on was from Michael Richardson who was a student of Steven Freers and then Michael Persons (who, he tells me, is moving to the eastern part of the states...lol - is that even true???). I assumed he might have an inkling what he was talking about, but clearly I was misinformed. Perhaps he was as well.

I apologize, first of all, for passing along information I assumed was correct as though it were - not acceptable. Secondly, please know I meant no disrespect at all towards your father or you or your family - I really liked Sam Pai when I was learning it - still do - and truly meant no harm. I am also very glad his is enjoying Oregon and is in good health

And for everyone else, I certainly should have prefaced the information I passed on as coming from another source and I don't mean any disrespect toward him, toward Mr. Dimmick or his family or anyone else I may have mentioned.

2girlsmommie, if it is all right, I will send you a private message regarding the identity of my college friend who claimed to studying under Mr. Dimmick and to babysitting you or your sister.

Thanks for the edification - I do appreciate it.

Hwarang.

OP

2girlsmommie

No worries shesulsa - no harm, no foul. Just wanted to clear things up a bit. Spoke with my father today and he had been made aware of your post sometime back, and had also addressed it in another fashion.

Best wishes to you all,

RS

Adam Young

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi, Have there been any updates on GM Fred Brewster? Has anyone had any contact with him or knows anyone who has had recent contact with him?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No idea who any of these people are, but I’ve got to say...

Ed Booze has one of the best names I’ve ever heard.

He’s right up there with Carlos Boozer. Respect to Boozer, even though I utterly hate Duke. I was so hoping the Knicks would draft him just so I could get a Knicks jersey with Boozer written on the back, but it never came to fruition.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, Have there been any updates on GM Fred Brewster? Has anyone had any contact with him or knows anyone who has had recent contact with him?
This thread is 15 years old - it's usually best to start a new thread, rather than resurrecting one that's been dormant that long.

And, welcome to Martial Talk!

Noname73

White Belt
Reaction score
GM Brewster lives in Newport Beach. Looks like he will be at a tournament in Long Beach in July

Latest Discussions