When Will the Bad Guys Learn?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well done to him. Sounds to me as if he did very well and kept his composure.

Unfortunately, based on the stories I have been reading in the UK recently, his attacker will get 12 months and a letter of caution and be released to do this again.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well done, that man. Not noticing the stab wound initially could have been just adrenaline. Not noticing till it set off the metal detectors can only be explained by him having Big Brass ones.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now, let's take a look at his probably self-defense technique.

Based on the x-ray, it appears as if the blade was embedded in his bicep or tricep area of his left arm, entering above the elbow, with the tip facing his rotator cuff.

Given that most people are right-handed, and the victim said the man tried to stab him in the chest, it would seem as if the attack was a thrust, blade held in the classical style with thumb on top and cutting edge down, in a rising uppercut-like movement towards the chest. The victim, then, would seem to have tried to sweep (I believe he said 'deflect') the knife with his right arm, away from his body. Unfortunately, it did not clear his arm and he took the blade thrust there.

To me, this seems to be what happened, and if it is (sorry for the Monday morning quarterbacking) then he did everything right. You always move the blade away from your body, never towards it. The blade extends the attacker's reach, which makes it harder to sweep if you're used to dealing with an incoming fist only.

Just my 2 cents on a Monday morning.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am thinking the attacker was lucky his victim was unarmed....

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well done to him. Sounds to me as if he did very well and kept his composure.

Unfortunately, based on the stories I have been reading in the UK recently, his attacker will get 12 months and a letter of caution and be released to do this again.

Hopefully he will be let out, as there will be certain gentlemen waiting for him, not a forgiving lot the Ghurkhas.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don't mess with Ghurka's:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-19944833

Mind you, it also helps illustrate what has been said many times in these pages - if you are defending against a knife attack then you will get cut, even if you succeed.
My teacher tells me that it is not uncommon, for knife attackers to break their knife, and or leave plenty of their own blood at a crime scene. Consider, any knife you buy at a pawn shop is designed to break, and that most people aren't trained knife fighters; so, they are just as likely to cut themselves as they are you.
Sean

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My teacher tells me that it is not uncommon, for knife attackers to break their knife, and or leave plenty of their own blood at a crime scene. Consider, any knife you buy at a pawn shop is designed to break, and that most people aren't trained knife fighters; so, they are just as likely to cut themselves as they are you.
Sean

Why do people buy knives at pawn shops? Not that they can here but why pawn shops? surely they were sold somewhere else before being pawned?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bill-your hypothetical sounds pretty solid. Only one problem..I don't have a lot of experience with how knives react in arms, but I'd imagine a sweep wouldn't cause the blade to break off the handle. More likely it was some sort of 'hard' block. What I'm interested in is how he disarmed the attacker from the handle without using his left arm/noticing that a knife was in his arm or that there was no blade attached to the handle.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why do people buy knives at pawn shops? Not that they can here but why pawn shops? surely they were sold somewhere else before being pawned?
You would be surprised at how awesome the knife collections at pawn shops look. They are like brand new. Why pay full price when you can get the same thing from some guy that bought it new and never used them? I don't mean all knifes at pawnshops are designed to break. You can buy a great knife, but most ornamental knifes are just that, ornamental. The key is to look at the handle. If the blade is part of the handle, its a good knife; however, many blades are simply attached to a handle, and they will break on impact.
Sean

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at the X Ray I'd say it was a kitchen knife. People like the attacker wouldn't pay much for a knife if they did buy one. Attacking an ex soldier never mind a Ghurkha is not the action of someone who is going around with more than one brain cell.

Btw the attacker won't get a letter of caution whatever that is, it'll be a custodial sentence for sure. He will be charged with Grievous Bodily Harm for one thing which carries a life sentence. Don't believe all you read about british law because while some sentences which are apparently lenient are reported by the press they rarely if ever, report the appeals by the Crown Prosecution Service which mostly results in higher sentences.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Now, let's take a look at his probably self-defense technique.

Based on the x-ray, it appears as if the blade was embedded in his bicep or tricep area of his left arm, entering above the elbow, with the tip facing his rotator cuff.

Given that most people are right-handed, and the victim said the man tried to stab him in the chest, it would seem as if the attack was a thrust, blade held in the classical style with thumb on top and cutting edge down, in a rising uppercut-like movement towards the chest. The victim, then, would seem to have tried to sweep (I believe he said 'deflect') the knife with his right arm, away from his body. Unfortunately, it did not clear his arm and he took the blade thrust there.

To me, this seems to be what happened, and if it is (sorry for the Monday morning quarterbacking) then he did everything right. You always move the blade away from your body, never towards it. The blade extends the attacker's reach, which makes it harder to sweep if you're used to dealing with an incoming fist only.

Just my 2 cents on a Monday morning.

From the article:
"The knife was coming towards my chest. I just blocked that knife with my right
hand but unfortunately couldn't manage to save my left arm," he recalled.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am thinking the attacker was lucky his victim was unarmed....

The mugger was lucky the Ghurka did not know he had been stabbed. Otherwise he would likely have removed the blade with his teeth and stabbed the mugger with it. %-}

Latest Discussions