When things go bump

wrc619

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Last night, my roommate and I heard a loud noise outside the house. Neither of us spook easily, but we wanted to figure out what had made the noise. So, we grabbed a machete and a pellet gun and went to investigate. We found nothing. We don't have any firearms at the house at the moment. Question. What would you have done? Realize also that we are both trained in less than lethal force.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Last night, my roommate and I heard a loud noise outside the house. Neither of us spook easily, but we wanted to figure out what had made the noise. So, we grabbed a machete and a pellet gun and went to investigate. We found nothing. We don't have any firearms at the house at the moment. Question. What would you have done? Realize also that we are both trained in less than lethal force.

stalking a potential intruder is a last resort tactic, firearm or no. if there had been an armed intruder out there, you could both easily be dead. next time grab a phone, grab a weapon (not a pellet gun) & wait & see. call the cops if need be.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do have firearms. And I'm a cop. And my best option in a case like that remains calling 911 and letting the people who aren't in their PJs (or less) check it out. If you're concerned enough about a noise that you need weapons to check it out, you probably should be taking a position of safety, and calling for help.

Realistically... it would depend on all the circumstances. Drunk falling against my house? Might make initial contact myself. Splintering sound from the front door? Yeah, I'll probably be greeting the visitor and allowing them a very special view of a Glock. While my wife calls it in.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
JKS pretty much covered what I would have said.

Seriously...what was the pellet-gun going to accomplish. (And if anyone is about to say something like "deterrent factor" or "to scare them," smack yourself upside the head)

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
... and letting the people who aren't in their PJs (or less) check it out.

LOL :)

I remember when I was like 10, my friends and I would investigate sounds on the other side of the house. Conversation (to scare burglars ;)) would be something like,

"Did you bring the bazooka?"

"Yep yep.. got it right here. Howabout those hand grenades?"

"Check! The other guys — all 50 of them — should be here any second now..."

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
JKS pretty much covered what I would have said.

Seriously...what was the pellet-gun going to accomplish. (And if anyone is about to say something like "deterrent factor" or "to scare them," smack yourself upside the head)
WITH the pellet gun... then for good measure shoot yourself in the ear with it.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
DUH you shoot them with the pellet gun, then while they are cussing you out for shooting them with a pellet gun, you chop their arm off with the machete.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Those things do hurt. Especially when you get shot in the face. My student just went to the ER because a "friend" of his shot him two inches below the eye. On purpose; this "friend is a very messed up kid.

Needless to say, he's been ordered not to hang out with this "friend" ever again.

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd grab whatever weapon of oportunity was around (probably a hammer) and causiosly scout it out.

This tread reminds me of a funny story though. My wife and I have incountered a break in in progress. We where babysitting my mother in law's house while she was in Cali and we where the only ones in town. Anyway, we heard some really odd noises coming from the garage. We went around to the side of the house to where the walk in garage door is and spotted someone leaving the garage with a crobar in hand. Here is the crazy part; While I was soaking in what I was wittnessing, my wife, who is not a MAist of any sort, bum rushed the robber and tackled him before I had a chance to even take a step towards him :erg: . I snapped out of my shock, grabbed the guy (who was already giving up under the presure of my wife's "enthusiasm") and kept him there until the police arived. We got the job done, and the police caught the other robbers (one of whom had a gun!) who had gotten away before we caught who was apparently the last one out.
Not the brightest way to go about things, but luckily things worked out in the end.

Last edited:

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd grab whatever weapon of oportunity was around (probably a hammer) and causiosly scout it out.

This tread reminds me of a funny story though. My wife and I have encountered a break in in progress. We where babysitting my mother in law's house while she was in Cali and we where the only ones in town. Anyway, we heard some really odd noises coming from the garage. We went around to the side of the house to where the walk in garage door is and spotted someone leaving the garage with a crowbar in hand. Here is the crazy part; While I was soaking in what I was witnessing, my wife, who is not a MAist of any sort, bum rushed the robber and tackled him before I had a chance to even take a step towards him :erg: . I snapped out of my shock, grabbed the guy (who was already giving up under the pressure of my wife's "enthusiasm") and kept him there until the police arived. We got the job done, and the police caught the other robbers (one of whom had a gun!) who had gotten away before we caught who was apparently the last one out.
Not the brightest way to go about things, but luckily things worked out in the end.
Your MA-ing inspired your wife or probably she didn't want YOU to hurt the guy so she bum-rushed him. Luckily she didn't get hurt as a crowbar is a lethal weapon in any (capable) hands. At least one of them went to jail.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think I would go looking around outiside. I live in an apartment on the second floor with an alarm, so unless I am hearing a door splintering I am staying in bed.
This reminds me of a discussion my mom and I are always having though. One time my alarm went off (which meant a door or window was open) and my response was to hop up, grab the 4 foot staff I have in my room and move to the front door. It turned out that the lock on my door didn't catch and the wind was pushing the door far enough open to trigger the alarm. I was fine with my reaction, although I really should have called 911 first.

My mom however thought I was an idiot. She thinks I should grab my phone and roll under my bed and wait there until the police arrive. Her thought is that the "bad guy" would have a much harder time getting to me if I was under my bed (only about a foot or so clearance).

Not to mention the fact that my bed has so much junk underneth it that there is no way I would fit, the thought of just hiding doesn't work for me...

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score

What's going on outside the house = not worth going out there for.
What's going on INSIDE the house = THAT's what you should watch.

I'd NOT have gone outside or stuck my nose to a window. I'd have checked the entrances to the house and made sure things were secure. IF there were further incidents, I'd call the authorities.

Going outside wouldn't be the best choice of action...
UNLESS they were setting your house on fire! Then by all means, GO outside. :D

Your Brother
John

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What's going on outside the house = not worth going out there for.
What's going on INSIDE the house = THAT's what you should watch.
Excellent point! The Sound of a pump shotgun's action being cycled is singular and almost universally known, and on a quiet night, carries quite well.
I'd NOT have gone outside or stuck my nose to a window. I'd have checked the entrances to the house and made sure things were secure. IF there were further incidents, I'd call the authorities.

Going outside wouldn't be the best choice of action...
UNLESS they were setting your house on fire! Then by all means, GO outside. :D

Your Brother
John

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
Your MA-ing inspired your wife or probably she didn't want YOU to hurt the guy so she bum-rushed him..

I don't think it was either. She just has very strong feelings about people messing with her family.

Luckily she didn't get hurt as a crowbar is a lethal weapon in any (capable) hands.

No kidding! Luckily, this was just a punk kid who probably wouldn't have even used the crowbar unless I started beating the **** out of him (which I didn't).

HM2PAC

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I live out in the middle of nowhere. The police are easily 15 minutes away if not more. For us, sitting tight and waiting is not an option.

When things go bump in the night, the wife takes the Rem870 and I take the 1911.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I live out in the middle of nowhere. The police are easily 15 minutes away if not more. For us, sitting tight and waiting is not an option.

When things go bump in the night, the wife takes the Rem870 and I take the 1911.
There's no perfect answer, no matter what, and I'm not trying to pick on you. Your situation supports at least some cursory investigation -- or you'd be calling the cops at every racoon, opossum, and whatever that wandered into the yard. And you probably know the difference in sound between a possum and squirrel on your roof... But Brother John had an excellent division: If it's outside... peek around, consider calling for the cops if it escalates. If you can see who it or what it is, and reasonably believe you can handle it... maybe you deal with it yourself. If it's inside... it's time to be taking appropriate action WHILE notifying the cops.

One thing... never hesitate to call the cops about something. That's what they're there for -- and, generally, the worst you'll do is keep the cop from writing someone a ticket. You're not going to pull them off of a higher priority call.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
One thing... never hesitate to call the cops about something. That's what they're there for -- and, generally, the worst you'll do is keep the cop from writing someone a ticket. You're not going to pull them off of a higher priority call.

Good solid advice. Call 911 and get them informed. Create a solid defensive position and if necessary take action. Going outside and investigating could be disastrous armed or not armed.
icon6.gif

However like jks9199 mentioned above there simply are no cookie cutter answers to a question like this as each situation will be dynamic and unique!
icon14.gif

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score

WRC,

First, in the few states that allow the 'castle doctrine' it applies to the house, not outside. So venturing outside brings you into another legal world. Plus most states (not including Texas or Florida) have retreat laws were you are required to retreat if you can do so when attacked outside the house (and many inside to.) No 'stand your ground' laws in those states.

Ok, anyway you decided to leave the safety of the house to find out what the noise is. Simi-armed. I have read several accounts of people interupting thieves stealing from their cars and getting shot for their trouble. That's a hint. If you are going to look for trouble, I suggest you go loaded for bear and not simi-armed.

Now what would I do? If I suspected a thief, I'd arm myself, gather the family in the bed room, and call the cops. If I just wondered what the noise was, I'd arm myself, get my E2D defender flashlight, make sure my spouse was armed and had the cell phone, and I'd very very cautiously check using clearing techniques I've been trained on at schools. And that's IF I decided that noise really needed to be checked.

Deaf

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good solid advice. Call 911 and get them informed. Create a solid defensive position and if necessary take action. Going outside and investigating could be disastrous armed or not armed.
icon6.gif

However like jks9199 mentioned above there simply are no cookie cutter answers to a question like this as each situation will be dynamic and unique!
icon14.gif
One more addendum...

Unless absolutely necessary to save a life -- once you've called the cops and they're coming... STAY INSIDE. That's what I want even another cop doing as a general rule, because the last think I want to have to worry about as I respond (and I'm sometimes sneaky, and come in from an unexpected direction) is some other guy out there with a gun.

You reach the point that you're calling the cops -- take up a safe position, and wait for us to come. Don't complicate matters or create a tragedy by running out there trying to catch the bad guy. Like I've said -- I'm a cop. Even if I grab my badge, how are the uniformed patrol guys supposed to know that I'm a cop if I'm chasing after the guy in my skivvies?

Latest Discussions