When did you start using guns?

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
A recent thread started me thinking... How old were you when you fired your first gun? What type gun did you first shoot? Or have you never shot a gun?

I first shot a 4x10 shotgun when I was 12ish. I had bb-guns before than, but that was my first time shooting. Went out in the backyard with dad and shot up some cans :)

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not until I was 19 and met my husband did I ever have "full control" of a firearm and shot it unassisted. When we met he insisted I learn basic gun safety, I even took a Hunter's safety course, because we would be having firearms in our home.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For me it was pretty much the same. I think I had a BB gun at 5yo, but was not allowed to shoot it unless my dad was there and we would shoot together, as I got older I had more powerful BB and pellet rifles and pistols. Then when I was either 12 or 13, I got my first real gun, a .410 shotgun. By the time I was in my mid teens I had a .30-30 rifle and a 12ga shotgun, and at 18yo, I had my first handgun a .44mag and started doing the reloading thing at that time as .44 mag bullets were EXPENSIVE.

Of course my interest and collection of guns has only gotten worse... er uh I mean better. :p

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
At 4/5, my dad taught me with a .22.
We had a farm and it was time to butcher some of the rabbits, so he was able to demostrate the finality of what a gun can do and instill a healthy respect for them at the same time. VERY controlled situation every time I shot as a young kid though, safety first at all times.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was about 8-9 yrs. old and learned on a .410 shotgun then graduated up to .12 and eventually shot a .16 ga a few times (ow!)...
With the same .410 I shot/killed a rabbit at 10 yrs. old. Got him on the run too, he was headed away from me and I lifted the rifle to my shoulder and fired once he was covered up by the end of the barrel... as I was taught when doing quick kills.

but... but at 5-6 I gotten a BB gun (no I didn't shoot my eye out either!) and managed to hit a sparrow some 20 feet up in a dense tree right through the neck.

Yeah, poor defenseless little animals... that taught me that I was pretty dang good with the long rifle (shotgun...whatever!).

Much later in my 20's I learned hand guns. Found out that I'm pretty good with those too. :D Never killed nothing with one though. :rolleyes:

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting. It looks like most of the gunnies started when they were very young. First picking up a firearm as an adult other than in the military seems unusual.

Jonathan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Age 23, having joined the Marines.

First, an M16A2 service rifle.

Later, a SAW 249, Mk19 automatic grenade launcher, M2 fify cal, M240 medium machine gun, and, most commonly, the M9 9mm service pistol.

Good times. :)

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
About 7 years old. My dad let me shoot his rifle. It kicked my shoulder so hard that I got a nosebleed, lol. Oh how far I've come since that day...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Didn't touch a firearm until I graduated from the rent-a-cop academy, I was well into my late 20's....

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
12 years old, Boy Scouts, .22 and .50 cal blackpowder
I had a BB gun for years before that, but that doesn't count.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually I think BB/pellet guns do count.
Pumping up one to 10, and seeing a little bird explode into feathers, then realizing that bird is done, dead and gone... It does let you realize the finality of pointing a weapon at something. Perhaps not quite the same as a regular rifle, but I think people can learn some valuable lessons from the smaller caliber air propelled weapons.

loyalonehk

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Actually I think BB/pellet guns do count.
Pumping up one to 10, and seeing a little bird explode into feathers, then realizing that bird is done, dead and gone... It does let you realize the finality of pointing a weapon at something. Perhaps not quite the same as a regular rifle, but I think people can learn some valuable lessons from the smaller caliber air propelled weapons.

Ok then... BB gun around 10-11 y/o. Revolver at 14, Semi-auto and auto at 17 and still going-n-going-n-... :biggun:

DocsPicsHusayba058.jpg

The sign behind me says, "Welcome to Iraq" this was just after a SVBIED fire truck hit our base entrance in 2005 (Camp Gannon) :uhohh:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting. It looks like most of the gunnies started when they were very young. First picking up a firearm as an adult other than in the military seems unusual.

But you aren't alone Tellner :) I went to the range last year for the first time last year. Shot a bullseye at 21 feet with my instructor's Glock 17 ;)

loyalonehk

Orange Belt
Reaction score
But you aren't alone Tellner :) I went to the range last year for the first time last year. Shot a bullseye at 21 feet with my instructor's Glock 17 ;)

Not Bad, way to go! :ultracool

Dare I ask whos face you pictured in the bullseye? ;)

PS
My Dad turns 60 in June and just purchased his first firearm. Gonna teach him how to shoot when I visit this summer... He's never shot a firearm - ever!

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not Bad, way to go! :ultracool

She didn't tell you the bullseye was the size of a 50 gallon barrel lid did she?

:p

I fired my first gun at 17, it was a 10/22lr my dad bought me when he found out I enlisted.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
She didn't tell you the bullseye was the size of a 50 gallon barrel lid did she?

:p

I fired my first gun at 17, it was a 10/22lr my dad bought me when he found out I enlisted.

Hey I posted the results on MT ;)

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Assisted by my father - either 3 or 4 years of age.
I used a single shot bolt action 22.
Solo - either 6 or 7 years of age.
At this age my father gave me my first gun - A Mossberg 22 cal. bolt action clip fed with a fold down forearm. I still have this gun.
:snipe:

Latest Discussions