Whats your extra-curricular activty?

Shotgun Buddha

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Heh. I was just wondering about this. How many of you out there have an interest or area of study, that while not in itself martial arts, does in some way link back to it? And why do you study it? I want some nice big discussions here people ;)

My own personal one is psychology, specifically relating to areas such as survival instincts, combat situations, the learning processes etc. I love all psychology, its just those areas are so much fun.
I study it because I figure I can make my training alot more effective, if I understand the best way to deal with how my mind learns and deals with threats and combat.
Did I mention the fun part too? :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure I can post it up here lol!

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ahem... I am studiously avoiding saying anything here, Tez, anything at all!! :wink1: :uhohh: :wink1:

For me, there are two other things I do which tie into MA in terms of execution on the one hand and analysis on the other—but don't look at first as though they have anything to do with it.

One is calligraphy: the combination of control and relaxation, both of them crucial to the physical flow which translates into attractive letterforms and good spacing, is very simlar in a lot of ways to the same combination, on a larger muscular scale, that you need to do MA techs efficiently and accurately.

The other is cryptography/logical problem solving, which requires you to find coherent order in seemingly confusing data, the kind of thing where, once you recognize the pattern, you say, of course, it had to be like that. The study of bunkai for TKD hyungs and karate kata is just this sort of decoding activity: you have to assume, to start with, that there's a reason why that movement is there, and then figure out what sequence of combat moves would be that would make it logical for it to be where it is.

OP
Shotgun Buddha

Shotgun Buddha

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Ahem... I am studiously avoiding saying anything here, Tez, anything at all!! :wink1: :uhohh: :wink1:

For me, there are two other things I do which tie into MA in terms of execution on the one hand and analysis on the other—but don't look at first as though they have anything to do with it.

One is calligraphy: the combination of control and relaxation, both of them crucial to the physical flow which translates into attractive letterforms and good spacing, is very simlar in a lot of ways to the same combination, on a larger muscular scale, that you need to do MA techs efficiently and accurately.

The other is cryptography/logical problem solving, which requires you to find coherent order in seemingly confusing data, the kind of thing where, once you recognize the pattern, you say, of course, it had to be like that. The study of bunkai for TKD hyungs and karate kata is just this sort of decoding activity: you have to assume, to start with, that there's a reason why that movement is there, and then figure out what sequence of combat moves would be that would make it logical for it to be where it is.

Well the calligraphy has a nice little historical precedent going for it, and its something I've always admired, although I've more of an interest in learning origami at some point. Both activities seem to create a good sense of both focus and peace, which I agree are useful traits for MA.
Paper might beat rock, but man beats paper!

And the cryptology and problem solving would very much cultivate a good mind-set understanding patterns in movements such as kata. Although to be honest, I tend to take more of "recreate rather than decipher" point of view on stuff like forms, rather than trying to decipher the forms, I prefer to recreate the combat conidtions that they were developed under, and basically see what heppens.

Those are two excellent hobbies there exile :)

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've spent a long time studying and writing about how people learn. Not from a scientific standpoint, but as a practitioner. Really helps now as a MA instructor, but also in life in general: why do my wife and I learn/understand things differently? Why can't I see eye to eye with that student? Why can't that student get what I'm trying to say? Why can't I see any relevance to what that student is asking? etc.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Paper might beat rock, but man beats paper!

:lol: !!

And yes—real, noncompliant combat testing is essential. Not everything that looks good on paper is going to work. Everything has to meet the test on the dojang floor (preferably with a partner who's willing to go a little closer to the edge than you're completely comfortable with...)

I've spent a long time studying and writing about how people learn. Not from a scientific standpoint, but as a practitioner. Really helps now as a MA instructor, but also in life in general: why do my wife and I learn/understand things differently? Why can't I see eye to eye with that student? Why can't that student get what I'm trying to say? Why can't I see any relevance to what that student is asking? etc.

Yes, the hardest thing of all, maybe, is to learn how to get someone to see what you can see. Unbelievably frustrating when you can't, unbelievably rewarding when it works...

OP
Shotgun Buddha

Shotgun Buddha

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Another good choice, and another fun thing to study. Alot of the time people try to apply the same teaching methods to everyone, and in some cases that just won't work. And being able to put yourself in someone elses position is a trait that is just useful in general, and I think one of the most important things a person should be able to do.

OP
Shotgun Buddha

Shotgun Buddha

Brown Belt
Reaction score
:lol: !!

And yes—real, noncompliant combat testing is essential. Not everything that looks good on paper is going to work. Everything has to meet the test on the dojang floor (preferably with a partner who's willing to go a little closer to the edge than you're completely comfortable with...)

Heh, true, mixing both approaches is probably the best road to success.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I used to like fishing, then my ex put me off it by doing it all the time rain or shine, it took the enjoyment out of it.

I guess one of my extra-curricular activites could include learning my Korean terminology lol I do it that much, but it's really not, so mine include, Metaphysics and psychology, but not the usual sort of psychology, I have looked at how people learn a little bit, but the sort I do ties in with metaphysics very well... e.g., learning empathy, how to pick up someone elses feelings when not looking at them etc. I am getting pretty good at reading someone over a distance now, I only have to get an email or phone call from them and I have a picture of thier character and what sort of person they are no matter what the mail says. It can be a blank mail and I still pick up their energy!

Yea ok I'm weird, I know.

OP
Shotgun Buddha

Shotgun Buddha

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I used to like fishing, then my ex put me off it by doing it all the time rain or shine, it took the enjoyment out of it.

I guess one of my extra-curricular activites could include learning my Korean terminology lol I do it that much, but it's really not, so mine include, Metaphysics and psychology, but not the usual sort of psychology, I have looked at how people learn a little bit, but the sort I do ties in with metaphysics very well... e.g., learning empathy, how to pick up someone elses feelings when not looking at them etc. I am getting pretty good at reading someone over a distance now, I only have to get an email or phone call from them and I have a picture of thier character and what sort of person they are no matter what the mail says. It can be a blank mail and I still pick up their energy!

Actually thats pretty interesting. Are there any good sources you'd have on the subject?

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Health, whether it be dieting, nutrition, anatomy, supplementation, training. There are obvious connections. Im also study accounting (my major) incase I decided to open my own school, and I read about anything to do with engineering because I like it.

B

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
My extra cirricular activity is watching my kids play sports. It is exciting to see them play for the love of the activity and not the cash! It is natural and unpolluted.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
With me it's amature theatre..Acting or directing..

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
learning empathy, how to pick up someone elses feelings when not looking at them etc. I am getting pretty good at reading someone over a distance now, I only have to get an email or phone call from them and I have a picture of thier character and what sort of person they are no matter what the mail says. It can be a blank mail and I still pick up their energy!

That's scary! J/K :D Actually, a gift. Do you thnk it ties in to instinct/intuition as well, or does it go beyond that? Reason I ask is, my intuitive sense of danger is pretty well honed, people have even commented on it in professional setting--but I can't read someone through a blank page!

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I justed started playing volleyball last month, which involves quick decision making with coordinated movement and balance as well as controlled strikes to the ball from a variety of positions. Plus, it's a lot of fun.

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The usual guy things, motorcycles, sports car, combat style shooting.
I also like to ride a bike along the ocean front, the Theater and a good flick.

Latest Discussions