University in CT offeres Bachelor's Degree in Martial Arts

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
http://www.bridgeport.edu/pages/3868.asp

That is the link to the university's site. Is this good or bad?

They have a curriculum set up for the students, who have to obtain 120 credit hours in order to graduate. They can study Karate, Taekwondo, or Tai-Chi at the university. They also need 12 credit hours in either Korean, Japanese, or Mandarin Chinese languages.

AoG

LuzRD

Black Belt
Reaction score
i really dont know what to think based on that page. are they teaching history and tradition of martial arts? or are they teaching the actual arts? or both?
i can foresee some really confused people gloating that theyve "graduated" a martial art after 120 hours AND they can now speak Mandarin and they have the diploma to prove it. :roflmao:
i REALLY hope that im missing somthing there.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Based on this statement
In-depth study of at least one of the martial arts (in 2005-06 Tae Kwon Do and Taiji are offered, with other disciplines to be added in the future)
I would say students are studying the theory - not the physical... but with the picture included on the page, I'm really not at all sure. I did see that the BA in Martial Arts is listed under International Studies, but not in a specific area such as History or Philosophy. I wonder how hard it would be to get additional information?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Based on this statement I would say students are studying the theory - not the physical... but with the picture included on the page, I'm really not at all sure. I did see that the BA in Martial Arts is listed under International Studies, but not in a specific area such as History or Philosophy. I wonder how hard it would be to get additional information?

I would speculate that there is theory behind it. I was a music major and my school actually deliniated between a 4 year diploma in music and a fully matriculated B.Mus. The B.Mus had much more classical studies involved. But, that's typically not what you saw in the brochure, you saw all of us jamming on our instruments :D

I think like anything else in the arts field. Having a Bachelor's degree has advantages for many things, but it doesn't prove that a person is the right fit for a given situation. There are going to be people that feed their egos with the studies. There will also be naysayers that don't understand why a student isn't just going out there and "doing it" instead of earning an education.

I like the concept. I'm curious to see how they put it in to practice.

OP
ArmorOfGod

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I read in another forum, that you are awarded a first degree black belt after 2 years, then a second degree after another two years, but I haven't been able to verify that yet.

Overall, I don't see the point of it. If one wants a career in martial arts, this wouldn't be necessary. Classes in sports medicine, nutrition, and small business would seem to be the main things you would focus on in college/tech school. The martial arts training itself would come from the martial arts school that you would train at.

AoG

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just had a look at the posted curriculum for Martial Arts Studies and there appears to be an actual physical training component. There are eight units in TKD or Taiji over eight semesters (one each semester). Students with previous experience will be tested and placed into the programme accordingly.

The curriculum has a lot of theory and philosophy and what appears to be current events or sociology. It looks alright except for the physical training component. There is no indication of what grade one might attain even though a grading is mentioned.

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't have the knowledge of US Colleges. Is 120 credit hours equal to 120 hours?
If so, how the heck you are supposed to learn Tai Chi in 120 hours? Except the fact that in Tai Chi there is no belt system, well Yang family just introduced it recently, but I doubt they are with that college, how are you supposed to become black belt in Tai Chi after barely 2 years????
I do Tai Chi and Aikido, maybe 2 of the Arts where it takes longer to become black belt, and I really don't see it possible to become black belt in 2 years unless you are a natural talent....and there is only 1 kung-fu hustle hee hee.

In my opinion what they face is a big part of theory about the Art and its history, maybe teaching them a couple of forms or kata and in the end give them what we call in Italy "Laura ad onorem".

Shotgun Buddha

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What Im curious about, is since within the MA world there's such differing opinions of martial arts history, philopsophy, training methods etc, what was the criteria for deciding the course content?
I'd personally find it interesting to study objectively all of those elements of different styles and their approaches, however

1. Most styles/organisations have spent so much time muddying up their respective histories, that finding an objective history is near impossible.
2. You can't really do anything with it. Its more an area of personal interest, not really something you'd go to college for...

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't have the knowledge of US Colleges. Is 120 credit hours equal to 120 hours?

No. At most colleges and universities, a credit hour is simply a measurement of how much a particular course counts towards the amount of credit hours you need to graduate.

Typically, a class that meets for 2.5 hours a week, will be worth 3 credit hours. Assuming that a semester is about 18 weeks long, you can figure that you would spend a total of 45-50 hours in the classroom for those 3 credit hours.

Lab classes count even less, where a lab class that meets for 3 hours a week will be worth about 1 credit hour.

Thus, you generally need around 35-45 classes to graduate, which would translate to about 120 credit hours. When all is said and done, that means you have spent around 2000 hours in the classroom.

Typically, undergraduate students take about 12-18 credit hours each semester, which translates to 4-6 classes. Graduate students take 12 credit hours each semester.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can hear it now I have a BA in Martial Arts so I can train you in the fighting arts, man what ever happened to real training to understand the art. This si bad for MA in my opinion

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
If so, how the heck you are supposed to learn Tai Chi in 120 hours? Except the fact that in Tai Chi there is no belt system, well Yang family just introduced it recently, but I doubt they are with that college, how are you supposed to become black belt in Tai Chi after barely 2 years????
I do Tai Chi and Aikido, maybe 2 of the Arts where it takes longer to become black belt, and I really don't see it possible to become black belt in 2 years unless you are a natural talent....and there is only 1 kung-fu hustle hee hee.

In my opinion what they face is a big part of theory about the Art and its history, maybe teaching them a couple of forms or kata and in the end give them what we call in Italy "Laura ad onorem".

Even if they do know about the Yang Family grading system, it requires years of training to achieve recognised competence. More years than there are in this university course.

I can see the same problems that other can see. People with Bachelors degrees (I have nothing against bachelors degrees, I have one after all) claiming they can now teach martial arts after a few years. That having been said, a qualification like this would be a useful adjunct to training and experience. It could get rid of a lot of the problems associated with ambiguous qualifications.

OP
ArmorOfGod

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
......and I really don't see it possible to become black belt in 2 years unless you are a natural talent....and there is only 1 kung-fu hustle hee hee.

Normally I would agree with this, but I not this time.
Think about your average training: one goes to martial arts classes two times a week at an hour and a half each time, for a total of 3 hours a week, and would get a black belt after four years (on average). At this university, you would go five times a week at two hours each day. Also, there would be a lot of required homework (to keep it an accredited class).
In this scenario, two years of that indepth training may equal a first degree black belt.

AoG

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Think about your average training: one goes to martial arts classes two times a week at an hour and a half each time, for a total of 3 hours a week, and would get a black belt after four years (on average). At this university, you would go five times a week at two hours each day. Also, there would be a lot of required homework (to keep it an accredited class).
In this scenario, two years of that indepth training may equal a first degree black belt.

AoG

Maybe in TKD or Karate, but I don't think it would be possible in Arts like Tai Chi...but here someone with more experience in Internal Arts could give a better opinion and more reliable than mine.

K' Evans

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I think this is an exciting development, as I think the martial arts should be studied more seriously, and in a more academic fashion. While this isn't the only way to study the subject, but for it to be mainstreamed and accepted in an academic institution can bring new potential knowledge into the education of martial arts.

But just like most things, mainstream-ing a complex and diverse subject like the martial arts can also be detrimental, if not carried out and sustained professionally. Since there are currently very few academic schools who teach martial arts (probably no more than 3 uni's), and this is really in its infancy, there is a lot of room for improvement. Criticism should be directed but also with a view of the context and the intention to improve the scenario.

While I don't think someone coming out with a degree in martial arts should proclaim him/herself to be a master, I do think such intensive studying for a few years, along with understanding the theory and history behind his/her primary art doesn't make the person a greenie either. I can imagine that if I were to undertake such an intensive schedule in my primary art, I could be a senior student or assistant instructor at the end of the degree, though I would never take a teacher's place.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score

AoG

It would be good if the course offered training five days a week but I think it probably offers no more than three hours of training each week. Each semesters training course is only worth 3 credit hours which works out to be 2.5 to 3 hours each week. There are 8 semesters of about 18 weeks each so that works out to 430 or so training hours along with everything else going on in the course.

There is an old Chinese saying, "100 days for the hand, 1000 days for the spear, 10000 days for the sword." This was coined at a time when a student trained 6-8 hours a day, so that is about 600 to 800 hours. Interesting to compare the numbers.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It would be good if the course offered training five days a week but I think it probably offers no more than three hours of training each week. Each semesters training course is only worth 3 credit hours which works out to be 2.5 to 3 hours each week. There are 8 semesters of about 18 weeks each so that works out to 430 or so training hours along with everything else going on in the course.

There is an old Chinese saying, "100 days for the hand, 1000 days for the spear, 10000 days for the sword." This was coined at a time when a student trained 6-8 hours a day, so that is about 600 to 800 hours. Interesting to compare the numbers.

There is a lot more than in-class training, however. When I was working on my B.Mus, my private instruction was 1/2 hour per week my first year, but I typically spent 4-6 hours a day practicing my instrument or playing with, over and above my homework. We were fiercely competitive too...always jockeying with each other to see who could spend a longer time 'woodshedding' that day. ;)

Like any other college major, it is up to the student to network and keep contacts that will travel with him/her through their pursuits. It is also up to the student to make the most of what they learn and apply it.

Unlike many other majors, having an arts/fine arts degree doesn't automatically open doors...even if the education is from a top school. An arts major typically doesn't spend senior year at career fairs pressing the flesh with recruiters that want to hire them for their major, nor will they be targeted with outreach efforts by Fortune 1000 companies. Nor does it mean that one's education or pursuit of the arts stops with earning their BA. The student is only guaranteed piece of paper and a stack of bills. :D

What happens next, the student has to make for themselves. :)

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is a lot more than in-class training, however. When I was working on my B.Mus, my private instruction was 1/2 hour per week my first year, but I typically spent 4-6 hours a day practicing my instrument or playing with, over and above my homework. We were fiercely competitive too...always jockeying with each other to see who could spend a longer time 'woodshedding' that day. ;)

Like any other college major, it is up to the student to network and keep contacts that will travel with him/her through their pursuits. It is also up to the student to make the most of what they learn and apply it.

Unlike many other majors, having an arts/fine arts degree doesn't automatically open doors...even if the education is from a top school. An arts major typically doesn't spend senior year at career fairs pressing the flesh with recruiters that want to hire them for their major, nor will they be targeted with outreach efforts by Fortune 1000 companies. Nor does it mean that one's education or pursuit of the arts stops with earning their BA. The student is only guaranteed piece of paper and a stack of bills. :D

What happens next, the student has to make for themselves. :)

Poor old BA. So badly treated. I have a BA with honours in archaeology and I work as a public servant. Just goes to show doesn't it.

I actually think the big plus of this MA degree is all the other things the students would be studying. It unfortunate that a lot of students of the martial arts don't learn the history and philosophy that is associated with their art. This might be a way to gain such knowledge. Of course, there will always be that question, especially with history, is this right? What about so and so, where do they fit in?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Poor old BA. So badly treated. I have a BA with honours in archaeology and I work as a public servant. Just goes to show doesn't it.

At least folks recognize a BA. I once took a graduate school entrance exam and on the electronic app, I was asked to pick my undergrad degree from a dropdown box. I had to pick "other". B.Mus wasn't a choice on the list :rofl:

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmmmmm, OK, go with me cause this is going to be really slow. All these people talking about having college degrees in the MA's in order to teach makes me think maybe I should rethink my career. See, I only have a 10th grade education. I went to Viet Nam when I was 17, it's OK though, I was the only one at my senior prom recovering from wounds and it turned out pretty well. Anyway, if you need a college degree to teach where does that leave people like me? Should I be thinking about a different career, maybe in the fast food industry? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.