What's your definition of the word "Martial Arts"???

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That which is taught to a person to provide them with a likelihood of surviving in war/combat
yes this could include firearms but mostly refers to unarmed, stick, knife, and hand held weapons forms of combat NUKES are not included

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Anything that is commonly called it. Trying to define it in a strict sense never works out well.

Some people do it for meditative reasons, other theatrical, others fitness, others sport, others self-defence, etc.

Pretty much anything to do with individual fighting unarmed or with handheld weapons gets grouped into it.

Generally civillian based, very few things refered to as martial arts have ever had any connection to a military.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Painting pictures of Marshals… oh wait… different spelling.....Painting pictures of fights…. that’s it. :)

I am hesitant to get involved in this post because although I think it is a good question I think it is destine for moderator lock.

But it use to be any form of training done in East Asia that was for fighting or combat using either empty hand or traditional weapons. But since coming to MT it has changed a bit now it is any form of training done for fighting or combat using either empty hand or traditional weapons.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Generally civillian based, very few things refered to as martial arts have ever had any connection to a military.

I'm glad you said very few ;) TaeKwon-Do was a Korean military Martial Art.

I consider Martial Arts to be exactly what it says, anything that is a set fighting art. I consider Boxing to be a martial art but I know many do not.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have an opinion but I do not wish to say, this thread is going to be a great one to watch

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have always thought of the martial arts were fighting arts taught with a broader scope than just combat, such as the consideration of philosophy and, perhaps, medicine. That being said I still think that boxing is a martial art even if, for the most part, it does not conform to my own definition.

I find it interesting that the term martial art may have its roots in the change in Japanese arts under the Tokugawa shoguns from jutsus (arts) to dos (ways of) and the later introduction of these slightly different approaches to westerners. It is sort of the converse to the way one would think it would happen.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Painting pictures of Marshals… oh wait… different spelling.....Painting pictures of fights…. that’s it. :)

I am hesitant to get involved in this post because although I think it is a good question I think it is destine for moderator lock.

But it use to be any form of training done in East Asia that was for fighting or combat using either empty hand or traditional weapons. But since coming to MT it has changed a bit now it is any form of training done for fighting or combat using either empty hand or traditional weapons.
I have to agree on all accounts.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Preface: I am confident that my interpretation of what the "Martial Art" is will not agree with many because I train and study differently than most others. Also, my use of the male nouns and pronouns in my answer is intended to refer to both the male and female.

Before I offer my interpretation of my definition, I would like to clarify that I believe the entire substance of the unity of the "Martial Art" is a collective knowledge that forms the ONE art, as drops of water in the ocean, or all the atoms of the universe. Thus, I choose not to conform to the common expression of a plural "Martial Arts." It is the "Martial Art" no matter what name under which it is taught or practiced. It is one art with many variations of presentation, and preferences of particular focus.

First and foremost, in order to define what the "Martial Art" is, I believe it is imperative to define what a "Martial Artist" is. Without the artist, there is no art. It is the actions, intent, and spirit of the artist that makes it an art.

For a philosophical explanation, I offer the following:

A man who kills without justification, is not a Martial Artist.
A man who kills to protect innocent lives, might be a Martial Artist.
A man who is trained to kill, yet chooses to resolve conflicts without killing, is a Martial Artist.

A man who strikes another without justification, is not a Martial Artist.
A man who strikes in defense of an attack, might be a Martial Artist.
A man who strives to find the most peaceful option available, is a Martial Artist.

A man who lives and trains to fight, is not a Martial Artist.
A man who trains to be prepared to fight, might be a Martial Artist.
A man who fights for justice, preferring peace over violence, is a Martial Artist.

A man who loves himself and hates others, is not a Martial Artist.
A man who loves himself and others, might be a Martial Artist.
A man who appreciates nature's beauty, loves life, and lives to protect and preserve all life, is a Martial Artist.

A "Martial Artist" is a warrior for peace and justice.

The "Martial Way" is the life of the warrior - - not just any soldier, fighter, or warrior trained for combat, to win the battle, and master the tools of violence, death, and destruction, but the "Warrior of Life" who not only trains to fight with a purpose of moral conviction, but lives his life with the strongest values, and highest ethical standards. The "Martial Art" is the training of a Warrior of Life - a Warrior of Peace - a Warrior of Justice.

In my most sincere, personal opinion, if you define the "Martial Art" in its base root form of "fighting method," "way of war," or "combat art," you have a superficial, and limited understanding of the original concept which has been twisted and perverted in recent years by the flood of lay-people, amateurs, and "McDojos" who lack the in-depth truth of ancient wisdom (I'm not calling anyone here an amateur, or McDojo type - just many are influenced by this mainstream definition). Not to fault anyone for this interpretation, because it is sometimes taught this way by many modern "Masters" and "Grandmasters." Modern students are only getting the distorted interpretation that is made available to them.

The English word "Art" must be replaced with the correct Asian philosophy of "DO." This transforms the meaning of the simple military, combat, or war term commonly attached to the word "Martial." "Do" means everything from an "Art" of appreciating the beauty of the universe, expressions of love, and a value of all life, to the "Way" of living life in harmony with the forces of the universe, and to the "Path" of right behavior." It is not one or the other of these, but all of them combined.

The Martial Art is a big picture which includes the attitude, intent, and behavior of the practitioner. What particular moves you learn to defend yourself, or defeat an opponent are of little consequences to defining what you do as being the Martial Art. Learning to fight, or survive in the street, or to win in combat is not the primary criteria for defining the Martial Art. A criminal who trains in combat skills identical to what a Martial Artist teaches is not a "Martial Artist" because of his criminal behavior. Thus, what he studies can not be defined as a "Martial Art" because it lacks the most important ingredient of just behavior.

Any sport, or physical combat, by its actions alone is not a Martial Art. Boxing is not a Martial Art, although boxing techniques can be incorporated into the curriculum of a complete Martial Art program. Wrestling is not a Martial Art, although Martial Artists might study wrestling as part of their grappling skills. By definition from their origin, terms like "Hwarang-do" "jujutsu," "judo," "Aikido," "Kung-fu," "Wu-shu," "Karate," "Karate-do," etc. are names for Martial Art training because their tradition is intertwined with fighting skills for self defense, combined with philosophy, and spirituality that you do not typically find in all combative training. To simply look back in history, and find evidence that people trained to do combat, or fight in unarmed, hand-to-hand skills, is not enough to establish the characteristics of the Martial Art. You must first, and foremost BE a Martial Artist in you every day life. A training program must teach the morals, principles, and attitude of a true Martial Artist's life in order to be a "Martial Art!"

This is my opinion, and is not offered to demean anyone else's definition. I give this simply to inform those who lack this kind of understanding, and to assert a very strong point of view that I hold pertaining to this subject.

Thank you for your understanding! :asian:

CM D.J. Eisenhart

Latest Discussions