New and improved

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What are some of your ways to keep the material new and inproved to your student base without changing the way you was tought, what I mean is simply can you teach the old version with a newer modern day approach without ruining the integrity of the past. If you are able to do this what do you incorporate into the classes that you teach.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure this is what you're shooting for, but I think the way to do it is to very what drills you may use to teach the concepts and then relate it to the techniques. That keeps the instruction from becoming stale while still maintaining the standards.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not sure this is what you're shooting for, but I think the way to do it is to very what drills you may use to teach the concepts and then relate it to the techniques. That keeps the instruction from becoming stale while still maintaining the standards.

That is a great ideal

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
first, i believe that all traditions should evolve with the times. for example, many of the kenpo gun techniques worked well against revolvers but will get your hand chewed up something nasty if you try it on an automatic.

but to address the real meat of your question, i find it's helpful to reframe earlier material: change the focus or intent for purposes of exploration. one day, do kata focusing on strikes. another day on stance. another day on transitions. next day on breathing. for advanced students, have them run a form concentrating on their ankles. (not angles, ankles).

this has helped my instruction and my training.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I may be compromising the tradition of what I teach, though I try to keep it the same, but I am adding in a few new things here and there from other styles I have or am currently training in. It may be something as small as a different submission technique or twist on a technique to something as big as a "new" kata. If I add a new form I try to keep them in the concept structure of the style, such as adding a Southern Chinese form or one from another Okinawan style. I have even found the Korean and Japanese versions of a kata and we work whilepicking it apart for the differences from our version. If there is something that will help the students I will go learn it and then teach it to them. In this regard I am willing to sacrifice a little tradition to help the students be better MAists.

Hoipe this is what you were looking for.

Latest Discussions