What's with the Jumpin' Beans

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Never been a problem for me. I'm too big and too slow to duke it out except with another big slow guy. I like to get all up in ur grill and bring the hurt. I love that feeling when I throw an uppercut to the gut and I feel the other guy's feet leave the ground slightly. That's when I know it's going to be a good day. My problem with that second video is that I love to jam kicks, but I have no idea how to jam to those low WC kicks. What's the counter to that?[/QUOTE]

There are quite a few jamming , hooking and sweeping movements in Wing Chun to deal with low heel kicks Bill.
But the Gods honest truth is against someone who is fast and non telegraphic you are going to wear most of them.
You just have to hope you don't cop one flush on the shin from someone with shoes on because the pain can be so excruciating that you won't be able to continue to fight .

But the real value of them is that they can be used in conjunction with the hands , so while your busy upstairs trying to defend against the onslaught of punching and trapping he will also be attacking downstairs low heel kicking the crap out of your shins and knees at the same time.

From a Wing Chun versus Wing Chun perspective we try to jam or deflect the first one then move into very close range to punch the opponent or to at least gain contact with the opponents arms.

From there we are in a much better position to be able to exert force from our stance into the opponent in an effort to off balance him so he cannot launch any effective kicks or strikes , also with the sensitivity gained from chi sau practice it is possible to detect through our forearms the subtle weight shift of the opponent when he is preparing to kick , as soon as he goes onto one leg that will be the window of opportunity to attack.

WingChunIan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Me too, until it goes to the ground, where neither party excels.
maybe one can say things that he could have done better, or stopped his opponent quicker with some move or technique, but what he does demonstrate well is the sensitivity, and the fighter spirit.

at 0:30 he moves slightly to dodge a left hook, throws his own punches to the head as opponent backs up slightly.
at 0:31 he notices the opponent take a small step in as if opponent is going to go on the offensive, he times his own step forward with another combo of punches ending with a straight left.

at 0:32 opponent covers up and turns to the left to avoid the straight left. he (wc man) feels his opponent has turned and given him his side. the straight left punch falls to a rest on opponents shoulder. he throws a right punch to the body and follows opponent as he backs away.

at 0:33 he delivers solid mook jong kick to knee area as opponent retreats. opponent tries to brush off the hand that is on his shoulder (still there from after the straight left punch at 0:32), wc man feels his opening, takes opponents neck with left hand, while resetting his foot he kicked with, notices the overhand right being thrown by his opponent, and takes an angled step forward while maintaining centerline and dodging overhand right punch.

at 0:34 it looks like he tries to throw a right punch. it either misses wide right, or was effective at stopping opponents left punch.

at 0:35- 0:37 he gets bear hugged, realizes he is at disadvantage and backing up, so he redirects opponents forward energy and uses his hand (however unconventional? it may be) on the opponents knee to give himself the upper hand again.

All in all, I'd say he has a decent grasp on some of the things he can do with his wing chun knowledge.
That's actually one of the better wing chun videos I've seen.

Does anyone else think that he did a decent job of trying to apply some WC concepts in a fight? .. or am i off base?...

I thought he did ok but if it was supposed to be full contact he lacked one of the most vital elements of Wing Chun, striking the jic seen using the elbows and stance to drive. His hands were fast but the guy should have been out after the first couple of shots landed. First clip was pretty poor and too much like low quality kick boxing or JKD for my liking but loved the wang gerk to the knee at 2:03 though pure class.

Last edited:
OP
N

Nicholas82555

Orange Belt
Reaction score
NOW!!! this is one of the responses I was looking for......so much chain punching to where someone would think that's all there is to wc:))))))

Latest Discussions