whats to old to start martial arts training and be a great fighter?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
i was wondering is there a age limit thats too old to start and be serius about martial arts and be a great artist? im not 30 yet but almost there and i wanted to be a great all around fighter and i wanted to dabble in many forms and train seriously from muay tai to wing chun to krav maga etc. i box on and off for the last 3 years and i used to body build in my early twenties so athleticism is nothing just getting back in shape will be my only hurdle. i was wonder is there a age considered ''too old'' to start and become an exceptional fighter. i plan to train for the rest of my life

Are you sure about that?

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a newspaper article about a guy who started shotokan karate-do at the age of 74 or so and got his BB at the age of 80.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
i was wondering is there a age limit thats too old to start and be serius about martial arts and be a great artist? im not 30 yet but almost there and i wanted to be a great all around fighter and i wanted to dabble in many forms and train seriously from muay tai to wing chun to krav maga etc. i box on and off for the last 3 years and i used to body build in my early twenties so athleticism is nothing just getting back in shape will be my only hurdle. i was wonder is there a age considered ''too old'' to start and become an exceptional fighter. i plan to train for the rest of my life

There is the answer to your question. If that is truly your intent and plan of action that you will follow for that long. You'll become the best person you can be.
Train hard and long! Good luck!

Olde Phart

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If you want to be good, don't dabble. If you want to be great, pick one thing, and dedicate to it.
Sorry for the late response, but I'm new to the site. Maybe It'll help in the future.

Totally agree with Chris. Started when I was 64, now I'm 67. You're never too old, but if you can't overcome your own limitations, you'll never get far. What I mean is: we each have our own preconceptions about what we can do and then when we "get in the ring" we find out we fall short of that pedestal we had ourselves on. The whole concept of "dabbling" implies that there is no commitment to any one of those disciplines. I've met many martial artists that are at a certain "dan" in one style, and then a lesser degree in others. They became proficient, maybe even mastered, one style and then went to another to broaden their horizons. I'm just now a first dan black belt in the style I have chosen. I'm 67, as I said. I might be able to achieve 2nd in a few years, but only with a few modifications to account for my "old man body." That'll probably be it for me as far as advancement is concerned. There are some things I cannot physically do at this stage in my life and, in my mind at least, it wouldn't be fair to accept a rank for which I don't merit it.

To sum it all up I'll defer to Master Yoda: There is no try. Only do.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's has little to do with age. You need to be natural fighter to be good. In some ways maturity is a good thing. The brain has the body economizing on wasted movement. Young people tend to blast away with they have got and make lots of mistakes.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The OP was 30 when they asked the question. So they are 42 now. I think it likely that they have figured out the whole "great fighter" thing by now.

Latest Discussions