What's the time you invest in improving your footwork?

Svemocn1vidar

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Besides doing it with your students/kung fu brothers in class,how much time do you guys invest in footwork when you're alone? No matter the lineage,which parts of Wing Chun footwork you work on the most?
I understand we have different concepts of shifting and weight distribution,this is not what i'm asking. Simply tell me the time interval you spend on doing it and usually,where?
Cheerz

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
My old si sok told me right from the start that I can't practice footwork too much. He said the more I practiced it early on, the less it would come back to haunt me later.
How much do I practice my footwork? Not enough.

OP
Svemocn1vidar

Svemocn1vidar

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My old si sok told me right from the start that I can't practice footwork too much. He said the more I practiced it early on, the less it would come back to haunt me later.
How much do I practice my footwork? Not enough.
But i still dont understand the reason why not enough? Was it because you were told to? Or you belive you shouldnt? Or you lack the time to do it?
Regards

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I feel like I don;t spend the time on it I should. Mostly a time issue. If I were to train 2 hours a day on footwork I know I still would need to train more. I strive for 2 hours a day of training.....I know it's not enough but in the interest of marital harmony It's all I can manage.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yak, I'm with you on this. With my screwed up ankles (from old injuries) I can't spend enough time getting my footwork down. I know it sounds stupid, but often when I'm puttering around alone at work or home I walk around doing advancing step, huen bo, stance turning, and so on. Sounds silly, but it helps.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yak, I'm with you on this. With my screwed up ankles (from old injuries) I can't spend enough time getting my footwork down. I know it sounds stupid, but often when I'm puttering around alone at work or home I walk around doing advancing step, huen bo, stance turning, and so on. Sounds silly, but it helps.

and here I thought I was the only goofball doing that

OP
Svemocn1vidar

Svemocn1vidar

Orange Belt
Reaction score
and here I thought I was the only goofball doing that

Not at all :) It's the same for me. At times,when somebody passes by and is able to see me doing it,i can feel their gaze saying "Lunatic" :)

aichis

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Not at all :) It's the same for me. At times,when somebody passes by and is able to see me doing it,i can feel their gaze saying "Lunatic" :)

my sister saw me doing that and saying that I am fighting a ghost kung fu..lol

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
When I first started out I was doing 2 hours of footwork training a day. Mostly just advanced stance stepping from the Leung Ting > Emin Boztepe I spose keith kernschpect should be in the middle in there.. anyways!
I practiced the hell out of coordinating my circle step too. And than I added the "oh **** an opponent is right there right now shadow-boxing element" to it.. and that's what I've been doing since, not enough, but I do it all over the place.. waiting for the bus.. at work when I have a second, though I usually just do IRAS.. definitely all over the house, sometimes in the grocery store.. everyone I know talks about how they are doing wing chun in weird places.
Right now my main focus is building up the strength of my kicks, and being able to keep focused up top while still keeping my feet active. That and a butt load of IRAS stance with poon sau/chi sau.
I want to work on making circle step work for me though.. under pressure, I make a minute crab step instead of shifting my weight off on the one leg, drawing back to the center and than shooting forward to regain original line, I've finally got some guys in class who want to spar, and I am insisting upon working heavily on refining some of our random feed drills to the point where the arms are taking over, and not just, oh he's on the outside of my arm, tan sau before even punching! goofiness. Slowly but surely!
edited out some random words that didn't belong, god knows what else is in here! :p

chain punch

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Like Yak, not enough. At least we are aware of it. I too sneak in some incidental training such as waiting for the milk in the microwave to ping before feeding the kids. 40 seconds of chaos. My wife thinks I am a little strange...

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah . . . . . . We're all a bunch of WC loonies round here.

Hey! I resemble that remark. Watch what you say, we might have to go to a private (chat) room and see who comes out first. And the one who comes out first is . . .well, you know. . . . . probably the only smart one.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sometimes we'll do it for about 20 minutes before I start teaching a student the main lesson.
Mostly we practicing pivoting , and later mobility in all directions.

Depending who I'm working with , the emphasis could be on maintaining the stance at the correct height , keeping the thighs relaxed , or moving from the waist and making sure there is no leaning.
With more experienced people I will expect them to also maintain an internal contraction as they move around.

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
In the bagua line I studied for awhile we had the now-passed lineage holder's advice (paraphrased):

If you can get into bed easily at night, you did not train enough that day. If you fall into bed because you couldn't stand up anymore - you trained enough that day.