Whats everyone's thought on this?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'll give you my thoughts on this. Firstly, I do not spend any time on Bullshido, so I haven't experienced the welcome mat over there. But I've heard comments about how things go over there that give me a certain "picture", if you will. At any rate, I don't spend any time thinking about or pondering what goes on at Bullshido.

As far as the comments about wing chun. I've had the privilege to study several different martial arts over the years, including wing chun. I do not consider myself an accomplished wing chunner, but I've learned all three of the hand sets, a little of the mook jong (currently forgotten), and I had a fairly decent (but not outstanding) chi sau game.

I don't often have the opportunity to chi sau with anyone anymore, but I still practice my forms from time to time. My focus in training has shifted away from wing chun, but I try to keep what I learned.

I have stopped trying to justify any of my arts to anybody. If they rifle off a list of negatives, then they've made up their minds and I'm not gonna change that. When it comes down to this, I figure, let them think my art sucks. Why should I care? It gives me the upper hand because they will underestimate me.

**** 'em. And don't worry about what they think.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL. Oh well, hopefully the organization that's sending you to teach English overseas sends you to your first preference. If you end up in Russia, have a go at Sambo, it might be too competition orientated if that's not your thing but it's still a very effective system. And don't forget to try out your new skills on Fedor, that guys like a total push over. :uhyeah:

Oh absolutely!! :lol:

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'll give you my thoughts on this. Firstly, I do not spend any time on Bullshido, so I haven't experienced the welcome mat over there. But I've heard comments about how things go over there that give me a certain "picture", if you will. At any rate, I don't spend any time thinking about or pondering what goes on at Bullshido.

As far as the comments about wing chun. I've had the privilege to study several different martial arts over the years, including wing chun. I do not consider myself an accomplished wing chunner, but I've learned all three of the hand sets, a little of the mook jong (currently forgotten), and I had a fairly decent (but not outstanding) chi sau game.

I don't often have the opportunity to chi sau with anyone anymore, but I still practice my forms from time to time. My focus in training has shifted away from wing chun, but I try to keep what I learned.

I have stopped trying to justify any of my arts to anybody. If they rifle off a list of negatives, then they've made up their minds and I'm not gonna change that. When it comes down to this, I figure, let them think my art sucks. Why should I care? It gives me the upper hand because they will underestimate me.

**** 'em. And don't worry about what they think.

I've spent some time there. They have some decent people too...but they are not the majority. Most are teen aged trash talkers with no respect and like minded grown adults that all believe MMA is where the sun rises and sets. Bad manner's and disrespect is almost encouraged there, but if you do not have thick skin, you will not like it.

In a nut shell, on Bushido, if it is not MMA it is generally trashed. I won't even get into how archaic the website itself is. The layout alone gives me siezures just recalling the place by memory! LOL

Beginner's Mind

White Belt
Reaction score
Frankly, it's all true if you're considering the art for the UFC cage.

1. True - it's a standup style. (I've seen schools where they practice ground game - perhaps that's a modern addition to cope with current trends.)

2. The footwork is suited for short-range, quick burst self-defense scenarios. Boxing footwork is for the arena.

3. There are good and bad WC schools. We practice non-crippling techniques at full contact with and without protective gear. I'm often covered in bruises for weeks :)

4. That's true, and that's really bad. It's undermining the community's confidence. Perhaps WC just isn't suited for the modern MMA arena. (Then again, if it's MIXED martial arts, which pure style is really suited for it?)

5. That's like saying weight training is bad, as real-life attackers are nothing like dumbells. Chi sau helps you react with efficiency and confidence to close combat situations.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
just doing a copy and past from bullshido...
The disadvantages of Wing Chun are...

1. It has no real ground game.
  2. The footwork is very linear, and not flexible the way foot work is in such arts/sport as Western Boxing.
  3. Because many of the hand techniques involve eye jabs, and bare hand strikes, most Wing Chun schools do not spar full contact.
  4. After the 1960s there do not seem to be many Wing Chun students who have tested their skills in public full contact contests where the results could be filmed and evaluated.
  5. Students spend a lot of time on the chi sao exercise to “improve sensitivity”. While being able to feel what your opponent is doing by touch is a useful skill, the average person who attacks you will not be holding his hands like a Wing Chun student, so most of this skill is not applicable to real life.
I think "Beginner's Mind" had a pretty good take on this... these are pretty much the standard critcisms of bad WC. Like all generalizations, there is a grain of truth behind the stereotype... but I'd place good Wing Chun/Tsun second to none as a fighting art. How's that for objectivity?

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
just doing a copy and past from bullshido about the disadvantages of wing chun?

also, anyone know where one could get lessons in Xiangfan, Hubei province what the average cost would be? ta

The disadvantages of Wing Chun are

1. It has no real ground game.
Joab: The Wing Chun I took, Tsun Jo Wing Chun Kung Fu at the Greenlake Martial Arts School in Seattle, WA taught by Sifu John N. Beall did have ground work. This came after you got a certain color of sash, usually took a couple of years, I didn't get that far.
  1. The footwork is very linear, and not flexible the way foot work is in such arts/sport as Western Boxing.
Joab: This is nonsense, at the same school we did a lot foot work, moving all over the place, it helped me immeasurably.
  1. Because many of the hand techniques involve eye jabs, and bare hand strikes, most Wing Chun schools do not spar full contact.
Joab: Maybe not most, but the same school did have full contact. Again you had to reach a certain sash level that I diddn't reach, but they did have full contact with lots of pads.
  1. After the 1960s there do not seem to be many Wing Chun students who have tested their skills in public full contact contests where the results could be filmed and evaluated.
  2. Students spend a lot of time on the chi sao exercise to “improve sensitivity”. While being able to feel what your opponent is doing by touch is a useful skill, the average person who attacks you will not be holding his hands like a Wing Chun student, so most of this skill is not applicable to real life.

Well, what can I say? This doesn't apply to the school I went to. I don't know what other Wing Chun schools do.

Last edited:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, what can I say? This doesn't apply to the school I went to. I don't know what other Wing Chun schools do.

I don't know either! The schools I did know something about, mostly all in the same organization, varied a whole lot depending upon the skills and personality of the instructor. Which kind of brings up another point. The egos and jealosies so rampant in WC/WT (and the martial arts in general) don't always make it easy to have a friendly visit to the other guy's school. Maybe that's what I like about this forum. Anyway, that's a topic for another thread, I guess.

Latest Discussions