Whats in a name

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Are all the different names for dojo's, dojang, kwoon etc just because of language differences or is it something more.
What does your MA call their training hole.

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dojang is a bit more than workout room. I will include a part of an article I wrote:

道場

Dào chǎng – Chinese Dō jō – Japanese Dō jang– Korean
The place where we practice and study martial arts is the 道場. It is considered a sacred place for training the body and mind. It should be a solemn environment which fosters discipline, etiquette and formal behaviors. The characters are (道) and (場). The second character is composed of the radicals (土) earth, (旦) sun above the horizon and (勿) pole flags. Combining the radicals (旦) and (勿) yields the character (昜) or the sun with rays shinning down, thus enlightening the earth. When these characters are placed together, they depict a place where the way of enlightenment occurs. This word comes from the Sanskrit word meaning the place where Buddha was enlightened and taught.

ron

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MSUTKD, I know it has more meaning than work out room but he just wanted what we called it, so I gave the simple answer.
Terry

funnytiger

Blue Belt
Reaction score
kwoon is what we refer to it as, but (to me) kwoon is more than just the building. it also encompasses the individuals within the kwoon.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Studio.

Half of my acquaintances probably think I am a dedicated musician or artist or something...

(I am the most musically and artistically inept person I know...)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MSUTKD said:
Sorry Terry,

Did not mean that to sound wrong.

ron

MSUTKD it is alright you know I'm tired with the US Open here in Dallas and people competing, this week I'm going to age 10 years Ha Ha HA Ha!!!!!

Latest Discussions