Whats everyone's thought on this?

HooT

White Belt
Reaction score
just doing a copy and past from bullshido about the disadvantages of wing chun?

also, anyone know where one could get lessons in Xiangfan, Hubei province what the average cost would be? ta

The disadvantages of Wing Chun are

1. It has no real ground game.
  2. The footwork is very linear, and not flexible the way foot work is in such arts/sport as Western Boxing.
  3. Because many of the hand techniques involve eye jabs, and bare hand strikes, most Wing Chun schools do not spar full contact.
  4. After the 1960s there do not seem to be many Wing Chun students who have tested their skills in public full contact contests where the results could be filmed and evaluated.
  5. Students spend a lot of time on the chi sao exercise to “improve sensitivity”. While being able to feel what your opponent is doing by touch is a useful skill, the average person who attacks you will not be holding his hands like a Wing Chun student, so most of this skill is not applicable to real life.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
just doing a copy and past from bullshido about the disadvantages of wing chun?

also, anyone know where one could get lessons in Xiangfan, Hubei province what the average cost would be? ta

The disadvantages of Wing Chun are

1. It has no real ground game.
  2. The footwork is very linear, and not flexible the way foot work is in such arts/sport as Western Boxing.
  3. Because many of the hand techniques involve eye jabs, and bare hand strikes, most Wing Chun schools do not spar full contact.
  4. After the 1960s there do not seem to be many Wing Chun students who have tested their skills in public full contact contests where the results could be filmed and evaluated.
  5. Students spend a lot of time on the chi sao exercise to “improve sensitivity”. While being able to feel what your opponent is doing by touch is a useful skill, the average person who attacks you will not be holding his hands like a Wing Chun student, so most of this skill is not applicable to real life.
Welcome aboard, and good luck on your first post.

OP
H

HooT

White Belt
Reaction score

was just looking to see what you guys ( who do wing chun already ) think of that statement from that bullshido site

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Welcome Hoot...

The statement is very generalized
Whilst most of it is true for a lot of wing chun schools, some of it is incorrect

I agree 100% with the ground game comment

Footwork is not linear (even traditionalists use huen bo (circle step) and triangular step

I don't think too many schools use eye jabs. It is banned in Kamon classes (ie we aren't even allowed to pretend to eye jab as it can go drastically wrong)
We spar full contact, but according to a students level and the size/shape of the opponent. Most wing chun schools will apply hits with bare knucle against chest or face during drills

Full contact contests are pretty much non existant. You have contests where you glove up and fight (UFC, knockdown, etc) but I really have a grudge with people who use the term 'full contact' for these tournaments
It is definately not the same kind of contests that reigned in the 60s, which were bare knuckle, fight to the death kind of contests
But as for pressure testing or fighting in tournaments, I do this regularly and have won a few
If you speak to Si-je, her hubby is currently working on organising a cage event

Sensitivity is extremely important, but it is not inherent to wing chun. BJJ use it and so do arts such as fencing or aiido
But yes, chunners tend to rely a lot on chi sao/sensitivity drills too much sometimes. In Kamon we do as much padwork as a lot of boxing schools and work on everything from clinchwork, to sparring, to formwork, to padwork, to feeding techniques

You will find that Bullshido has a hatred for wing chun which is sad, because there are a few good styles out there, especially in London

My instructor, Kevin Chan is a black belt in BJJ, extremely proficient in boxing and kickboxing and would make more money teaching any of those. But instead he ended up opening wing chun schools because he genuinely believes that the art is effective
I have seen good wing chun performed in street situations and it is extremely effective
Boxing and MT are good arts, but an average guy knows about them and knows what to expect (ie they can roll with your punches)

redantstyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
b.s says what? about-ing -un?

it's > moothai, boxing, and judo?

zomg...

troll much?

OP
H

HooT

White Belt
Reaction score
thats a fantastic reply, thanks a LOT for taking the time out to type that

im 26 from Australia,but im heading to China next month. ill be teaching english over there BUT that is the best way to get me there and earn a bit of cash.

its in Hubei, from what i have found it shouldnt be too hard to ask someone to teach me? i have done zero martial arts or anything, im not looking to break people or any of that crap, but, if i get myself in a situation where the other person is clearly not going to bugger off, then i want to be able to defend myself. if you train say for example once or twice over a 12 month period, and try your hardest ie. dont piss about, how much do you think one could learn over that time period?

as long as it aint 50 bucks for one lesson ill be trying to do it on a regular basis

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have no thoughts on anything thats said on bullshido because to do so would lower my intelligence quotient.
So I will leave you with this .

1. Western boxing has no ground game either but still is quite effective.

2. Fencing footwork is very linear also but quite fast and explosive.

3. To spar with full contact to the head will have long term consequences
to your brain , we go hard on the body and semi contact to the head.

4. Most Wing Chun people do it for self defence of themselves and their
loved ones on the street , and don't give a rats **** about competition.
Its only meant to be used as a last resort in a dire situation when you
have no other choice , not as a spectacle for the public .

5. This is where people always misunderstand the reason for chi sau , the
person doesn't have to be holding their arms like a Wing Chun student.

The only reason that I would be using chi sau is if you are blocking my
strikes , if you arent putting your arms up to block then I have no need
to use chi sau , I will just hit straight through.

It is just used for that split second in a fight where my strike has been
obstructed , and because my responses have been drilled in chi sau I
don't have to waste time trying to withdraw my strike or even thinking.
The obstruction will be moved out of the way with a minimum of
movement and striking is continued .

Most fights will involve some sort of contact with the opponents arms
and at close range the responses have to be automatic , there is no
time for conscious thought and when you consider that a lot of assaults
on the street happen in low levels of light the Wing Chun man will have
an advantage up his sleeve once arm contact is gained because he
won't have to depend on his vision to know what you are about to do.

graychuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Very informed post by Mook Jong Man. I would just like to highlight some of the important points....

I have no thoughts on anything thats said on bullshido because to do so would lower my intelligence quotient.
So I will leave you with this .

1. Western boxing has no ground game either but still is quite effective.

2. Fencing footwork is very linear also but quite fast and explosive.

3. To spar with full contact to the head will have long term consequences
to your brain , we go hard on the body and semi contact to the head.

4. Most Wing Chun people do it for self defence of themselves and their
loved ones on the street , and don't give a rats **** about competition.
Its only meant to be used as a last resort in a dire situation when you
have no other choice , not as a spectacle for the public .

5. This is where people always misunderstand the reason for chi sau , the
person doesn't have to be holding their arms like a Wing Chun student.

The only reason that I would be using chi sau is if you are blocking my
strikes , if you arent putting your arms up to block then I have no need
to use chi sau , I will just hit straight through.

It is just used for that split second in a fight where my strike has been
obstructed , and because my responses have been drilled in chi sau I
don't have to waste time trying to withdraw my strike or even thinking.
The obstruction will be moved out of the way with a minimum of
movement and striking is continued .

Most fights will involve some sort of contact with the opponents arms
and at close range the responses have to be automatic , there is no
time for conscious thought and when you consider that a lot of assaults
on the street happen in low levels of light the Wing Chun man will have
an advantage up his sleeve once arm contact is gained because he
won't have to depend on his vision to know what you are about to do.

:ultracool:ultracool 'nuff said! :ultracool:ultracool

The Last Legionary

All warfare is based on deception.<br><b>nemo malu
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My thoughts are that the source site there has low opinions of anything that doesn't involve rolling around on the ground in an intimate embrace with another man. That "crap" is anything they don't understand, can't do, or that doesn't show up on a UFC PPV. So, I have little respect for anything they say. In fact, if they told me fire was hot, and ice was cold, I'd get another opinion, just because they are usually so far from being right, it's just smarter.

As to Wing Chun, it's ok. If you spend all day playing patty cake, you'll be good against kids. If you train right, it's quite effective. Good luck.

OP
H

HooT

White Belt
Reaction score
thanks very much for all that :>)

i only know how to fight when im drunk with my mates with fire............ lol in other words just messin around, but i would like to learn something that is useful.

i have never seen ufc or any of that, by the crap that gets around on the internet saying its the best thing ever, well, thats great, except i dont care.
wing chun just looks effective whilst not emphasizing on strength etc

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah I relly wouldn't listen to the folks on that site. Most WC people who aren't blinded with their own "my art is superior than every other art"are more than willing to tell you the short commings of their art right along with how great their art is.

I have been on that site and after leaving it I was dumber for it. Took 2 weeks to recover.

Reaction score
Students spend a lot of time on the chi sao exercise to &#8220;improve sensitivity&#8221;. While being able to feel what your opponent is doing by touch is a useful skill, the average person who attacks you will not be holding his hands like a Wing Chun student, so most of this skill is not applicable to real life.

Alright, all your other questions were in my opinion answered in a way that I myself would have answered them, except for this one. I've found Chi Sao to be a pretty useful tool for woking with as far as that particular range of combat goes and I'm not a Kung Fu person. As long as you undertsand that Chi Sao isn't just about being touchy feely and is actually a tool to help in what I consider medium range engagement. Ofcourse, a good Wing Chun (or any Kung Fu) practitioner isn't going to rely on Chi Sao alone. They're going to learn how to bridge as well as possibly how to clinch. Oh and one other point, I've seen some pretty competitive Chi Sao sessions where losing control meant your opponent got to lock you up and/or smack ya around the head.

BTW: Just looked at your location. I'm in Queensland myself. Brisbane to be precise. You're leaving next month so I doubt you'll have time. But if you want to trade hands I'll be glad to oblige.

OP
H

HooT

White Belt
Reaction score
ummmm i have never done ANY martial arts ever. so at least give me a few months to get used to it!! lol

i live in western Qld, out in the bush, so China is gonna be a helluva lot different.
but when i go back to Uni in Brisbane is there anywhere in Brisvegas that teaches a bit of WC?

Cheers mate

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
ummmm i have never done ANY martial arts ever. so at least give me a few months to get used to it!! lol

i live in western Qld, out in the bush, so China is gonna be a helluva lot different.
but when i go back to Uni in Brisbane is there anywhere in Brisvegas that teaches a bit of WC?

Cheers mate

Check some of these out mate , go and do trial lessons and see which one you like the best.

http://www.vingtsunvk.com.au/

http://www.wingtsun-brisbane.com/

http://www.wingchun-kungfu.com.au/schools/schools.shtml

http://brisbane.citysearch.com.au/E/V/BRISB/0030/99/86/1.html

Reaction score
The places mook jong man posted look good. I hadn't realized Del-Brocco had returned to the CBD and was once again teaching BJJ. So if you're concerned with the ground aspect, I'd say definately check out Del-Brocco's school: http://brisbane.citysearch.com.au/E/...0/99/86/1.html

Oh just one thing and please don't be discouraged by this. When one of my instructors went to China to study Chinese medicine he said some of the places were very commercialized. So if a place looks like a tourist trap, be wary. Better to find schools "word by mouth" as many of the best schools often require an introduction from an existing student. I wish you the best in your martial journey and if / when you come to Brisbane, feel free to PM me and look me up.

OP
H

HooT

White Belt
Reaction score
yea i agree, im not saying learning and stuff is better in china itself, but u never know i spose, i was thinkin that there would be HEAPS of 'schools' or training centres, mcdojo's i guess.

im sure if i ask around and they see im very keen/interested to learn then someone should point me in the right direction. its looking good tho because if classes are 600 aussie dollars a year here then hopefully i can afford it over there on 6000rmb a month :)

im not looking to be a fighter or comps, any of that crap, i dont even get violent, most of the time i just bugger off and say ' gee, that guy was a wanka lol"

or the worst could happen and ill get sent to russia............... where wing chun is probally unkown :(

Reaction score
or the worst could happen and ill get sent to russia............... where wing chun is probally unkown :(

LOL. Oh well, hopefully the organization that's sending you to teach English overseas sends you to your first preference. If you end up in Russia, have a go at Sambo, it might be too competition orientated if that's not your thing but it's still a very effective system. And don't forget to try out your new skills on Fedor, that guys like a total push over. :uhyeah:

Latest Discussions