What would you suggest?

LastGasp

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Unfortunately there are far too many Kung Fu schools in western countries that teach utter and complete nonsense. Even Kung Fu schools in China are getting bullied by a mediocre MMA guy who is exposing and embarrassing them.

If you want to learn about Chinese culture and how to dance with exotic weapons, by all means.

If you want to defend yourself, look elsewhere.

That's why I have such fond memories of training in Lau Gar under Neville Wray though. It seemed such a rounded approach. Neville would teach the 'traditional' techniques, we did semi contact sparring and for competition, and he would teach realistic techniques that would be effective in a street situation. I think it very much depends on the instructor.

Feitianwu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Unfortunately there are far too many Kung Fu schools in western countries that teach utter and complete nonsense. Even Kung Fu schools in China are getting bullied by a mediocre MMA guy who is exposing and embarrassing them.

If you want to learn about Chinese culture and how to dance with exotic weapons, by all means.

If you want to defend yourself, look elsewhere.

You're simply stating that an angry mma guy is going around beating up local Chinese who aren't allowed by law to fight with foreigners anyway. And what's even funnier is that there are no kung fu schools in China open to foreigners unless they're simply for fun and to get money.

There's nobody in China who teaches foreigners let alone acknowledges that they even practice Gong Fu to a foreigner.

The government banned certain martial arts because they were simply too powerful. Qi Gong is outlawed and only practiced in Secret. There's no Gong Fu in existence that doesn't use weapons as a main master technique.

Your MMA guy is doing nothing but proving himself a silly wanker.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You're simply stating that an angry mma guy is going around beating up local Chinese who aren't allowed by law to fight with foreigners anyway. And what's even funnier is that there are no kung fu schools in China open to foreigners unless they're simply for fun and to get money.

There's nobody in China who teaches foreigners let alone acknowledges that they even practice Gong Fu to a foreigner.

The government banned certain martial arts because they were simply too powerful. Qi Gong is outlawed and only practiced in Secret. There's no Gong Fu in existence that doesn't use weapons as a main master technique.

Your MMA guy is doing nothing but proving himself a silly wanker.
the. mma guy in question is himself Chinese, so that's one point out of the way,some of our posters have has foreigners, trained in China, so that's another one
and infact some of them are Chinese

Feitianwu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I studied under Grandmaster Lu, 2 time full contact National Champion of Taiwan. He was a master of Northern Shaolin Gong Fu and Old Yang Style Tai Qi. We'd meditate every day and every day after meditation he'd be up in the rafters 30 feet above us, and nobody could figure out how he got there, we never heard anything.

Long Gong Fu forms and Tai Qi forms are the Antithesis of MMA. They are to promote strength, health, memory, mindfulness, mental health, protect against degenerative brain function etc.

MMA sport fighting has at its core the disregard of one's health and metal well-being.

There's no Chinese practicioner that wouldn't rather cut you down with a sword than allow you to pummel their head repeatedly. You'd die. Nobody tolerates blatant disrespect, and they'd be fine knifing you through the back in kind.

Further more if you're getting mugged, its probably not one guy. A Kung Fu practicioner trains multiple opponents all the time. That's Kung Fu. Going into an angry crowd that wants you dead and walking away without being knifed in the back by the 7th guy you didn't see.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's why I have such fond memories of training in Lau Gar under Neville Wray though. It seemed such a rounded approach. Neville would teach the 'traditional' techniques, we did semi contact sparring and for competition, and he would teach realistic techniques that would be effective in a street situation. I think it very much depends on the instructor.

Definitely, but the lack of quality control makes it very difficult to find such an instructor. You have a high chance of wading through a lot of garbage before you find a diamond.

Feitianwu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
the. mma guy in question is himself Chinese, so that's one point out of the way,some of our posters have has foreigners, trained in China, so that's another one
and infact some of them are Chinese
Being Chinese doesn't get you anywhere in the Gong Fu world..

There's 1.7 billion Chinese in China alone.

I lived most of my adult life in Foshan.

Let's hear the stories of where they studied and who they studied with.

Dying to know

Feitianwu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I was once in a fight in Canton, with a literal angry mob, against 6 members of the Hei She Hui, Chinese Triads, some of them armed, and a crowd of 100 people chanting for them to kill me, taking shots at me whenever they could from the crowd, all for crossing the road in front of a drunk gangster that wanted to run the red light and I can tell you without a doubt that the only thing that saved my life was Gong Fu training. I was like in the movies, people couldn't believe their eyes how fast I was flying through the mix, using environmental weapons and running on pure adrenaline I thought I actually flew horizontally on some occasions.

Their main goal was to attack and kill you from behind, relentlessly.

That was when I understood the true power of Kung Fu, and how it was used and why it was created.

Any MMA fighter would have died.

Last edited:

Feitianwu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The fight turned into a stand off between me and the gangsters, both equally hurt, bleeding, and exhausted after having won the respect of the crowd momentarily, or maybe it was just disbelief.

Anyway I escaped into a taxi and told him to drive off, but he wouldn't, and the crowd completely trashed the taxi before police finally showed up

Feitianwu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It also brings a tear to my eye when I think about the people that had to do that in ancient times and how many were just stabbed in the back with a sword or spear whilst fighting off a number of opponents willing to attack and kill you simultaneously from behind, while you were fighting for a just cause.

Its not like the movies. Countless heroes have died at the hands of Gangsters and mobs, except for the elitest Masters of Gong Fu. Most powerful martial art in the world. Bar none.

LastGasp

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Definitely, but the lack of quality control makes it very difficult to find such an instructor. You have a high chance of wading through a lot of garbage before you find a diamond.

You may well be right. Perhaps I was just very fortunate to find a good instructor. It's sad to think that may be the case, but then I don't think that would apply to only Kung Fu styles.

Would I not be right in saying that in various countries there are bodies and associations who ensure their member clubs are up to a certain standard though? Perhaps one way to ensure you join a quality set-up?

Last edited:

Feitianwu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm actually pretty sure I heard this music at the start of my fight, playing somewhere off in the distant background

D

Deleted member 39746

Wouldn't call it lack of quality control, rather everyone has a different view of what should happen when you teach it which leads to disparity in most groups. Example some people focus on the forms and don't teach effective fighting, some people in the overarching federation might view that as the goal of X style, and the reverse for just fighting.

they at least make sure you get the style which is advertised if its legit, you show up for shotogan karate, you get shotogan karate etc.
So you will have to wade through rubbish to find a teacher which will teach you what you want from said style. (and wade through the fakes because im pretty sure there are a lot of them outside federations)

Im personally skeptical of groups which dont have some form of good overarching federation or home made styles without good public reviews or a good group over them. Something to make sure what they teach is legit and works and to enforce that standard.

yet another one of my tangents. :p

Feitianwu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
There's a term in Chinese called 加油,jiayou, used when someone wants to encourage someone or themselves to put in extraordinary effort. It doesn't make sense unless viewed from the perspective of Gong Fu, in my opinion. It literally means "add oil". To me that felt like what I had to do in my fight I did things that I would never have ever imagined of just from studying Kung Fu. It was straight out of the movies.. But I felt like I was somehow surrounded in oil, and just completely frictionless. I leaped a series of steps that were so far forward I had no idea what my feet were even doing or how I got there so fast. Every person, every weapon and appendage seemed to be surrounded in oil to me and my only goal was slip everything every where, punishing people with shock moves, and doing just nuts stuff that really just seems its out of the movies.

These were things I've never learned in School..But all the things I did learn came in very useful between what was mandatory movements to escape death. Just full body speed, flexibility, contortion movements, offensive strikes and defense designed against lethal weapons.

Everybody laughs at Kung Fu outside of China. Put them in a Chinese street surrounded by an angry mob fueled by armed gangsters and see how quickly they show their best dying move.

Feitianwu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Everything I've ever posted in this forum is done regrettably

You shouldn't read what I've written nor know what I know or have experienced.

Please delete all of my posts in this thread.

Last edited:

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Everything I've ever posted in this forum is done regrettably

You shouldn't read what I've written nor know what I know or have experienced.

Please delete all of my posts in this thread.

Again, as I told you earlier, your request has been denied. All posts become property of the owners of this site.

If you don't want your posts to be seen any more, then don't log back in to this forum, and eventually, your posts will be pushed to the bottom as time goes on.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
All posts become property of the owners of this site.

Bit of nit picking, but it's what I do ;)

I don't think they become property of the site - this post for instance is mine and I can re-use it anywhere I like for any purpose I choose, because it's mine.

However, by posting it (in accordance with the site terms) I grant irrevocable and continual license to this site to do the same.

Forever and unending, you can't stop me repeating my messages elsewhere, and due to licence I can't force you to delete or not repeat it either.

(Same with any images I post to the forum, excepting if I host images off site and link them, then I have more control over the use - but I believe the site would be entitled to copy them to host themselves while I leave them live.)

Latest Discussions