What would you like to discuss in the firearm forum?

What would you like to discuss in the firearm forum?

• Tactical Self-Defense: Pistol

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Tactical Self-Defense: non-pistol (Shootgun, rifle, carbine, etc.)

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Sport/Target Shooting

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Legal Discussions

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Hunting: Big & Small Game

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Historical Shooting and Collecting

• Survivalist Discussions: Urban to Wilderness

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • About the Tools: Gun care, craftsmanship, types, etc.

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • Firearm Related Gadgets

• Other

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi all. As a new Moderator (30-90 days probationary as of yesterday) for both the knife (in conjunction with OUlobo) and firearm forums, part of what I want to do in these forums is to bring good information, resources, and discussions to the forum. What will help me to do this is to know where some of your interests lie in regards to firearms and tactics.

So, I have divised a poll to get an idea of where some of your interests lie, and what MT members would like to discuss in regards to firearms. You can vote more then one category, and feel free to post and explain your reasons, or to clarify (especially if you say "other").

Thanks... :armed:

Paul Janulis

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Evidence has been obliterated.. well at least tis in cold storage.. Poll works and I put a bit of info in the Mod training lounge ;)

*getting off this box~!!
You're welcome Paul .. *scampers outta this crazy world * :D

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
As this is a M.A. forum first and foremost, I would like to see more discussions on the tactical/self-defense aspects of the firearms world. I (like any gun owner) also enjoy talking about the latest "toys" on the market etc. and I've always been interested in firearms history and development.

Basically, this is the firearms forum, let's talk about firearms :D :mp5:

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My evidence destroyed???? I'm crushed!!!!!

Seriously, I would like to avoid things like the endless 9mm v. .45 debate; the 5.56 vs 7.62 debate, and the like.
I agree w/ Kenpotex that tactics are of more relevance to this board (and there are numerous firearms boards with a wealth of tech info...)
That said, if theire is interest I would be willing to post training reviews from Blackwater and an in-house Sayoc session; as well as details on a couple of project guns.

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Chad,

I would definatily be interested in hearing detailed reviews of training sessions; blackwater, sayoc, or what have you. I don't think I am alone on that one either.

Yea, if any of you guys have had the chance to go to an instructional acadamy, like Blackwater, Gunsite, TDI, or wherever, definatily post a review!

Paul

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
dearnis.com said:
My evidence destroyed???? I'm crushed!!!!!

Seriously, I would like to avoid things like the endless 9mm v. .45 debate; the 5.56 vs 7.62 debate, and the like.
I agree w/ Kenpotex that tactics are of more relevance to this board (and there are numerous firearms boards with a wealth of tech info...)
That said, if theire is interest I would be willing to post training reviews from Blackwater and an in-house Sayoc session; as well as details on a couple of project guns.

Heh...Chad, you know the 9mm vs. .45 debate is bound to happened sooner or later! ;)

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah; it will. And I will comment on it in my Blackwater review (next week sometime). I'll add a report on Gunsite when I get back; I'm going in Feb.
:ultracool

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
dearnis.com said:
Yeah; it will. And I will comment on it in my Blackwater review (next week sometime). I'll add a report on Gunsite when I get back; I'm going in Feb.
:ultracool

Hey...how come you get to do cool stuff!?! :ultracool Well, your almost 10 years older then me...so someday I will get to these acadamies myself. "Mom...can I be like Chad when I grow up!?" ;)

Seriously, that would be really cool if you could review these academies when you get the chance.

Paul

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why the "tactical/self-defense" differentiation between pistol/non-pistol? I would think the subject could be all inclusive.

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Why the "tactical/self-defense" differentiation between pistol/non-pistol? I would think the subject could be all inclusive.

It could be for sure. I just wanted to see how the interest was weighted between the two. I would have done 4 seperate; one for pistol, one for rifle, one for shotgun, one for "assault weapon," but I could only do 10 categories for the poll. So I figured pistol/non-pistol would do well enough.

:)

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
dearnis.com said:
Thanks, I forgot to mention this...add "revolver vs semi-auto" to the same list.

Tulisan said:
Heh...Chad, you know the 9mm vs. .45 debate is bound to happened sooner or later!
Let me fix that right now. Everyone listenin? FIND SOMETHING YOU CAN SHOOT WELL AND PRACTICE A LOT!!! :D :D :D Seriously though, while we all have our preferences (mine happens to be the divinely insprired 1911 ;)) it boils down to what works for the individual.

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Some categories are more appropriate given this is an M.A. board, but I wouldn't mind discussing any of those topics, if you and OULobo have the bandwidth to cover them. I marked "other" because I'd like to hear product comparisons/reviews and, because this is a product-based MA, lists/links of good sources for various materials.

E

Escrima Demon

How about shooting with your "weak" hand? Is this important to do well??

What is an Assault Weapon? My dad says there are only rifles and carbines, and the term is a make believe term by anti-gunners.

Thanks!

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Escrima Demon said:
How about shooting with your "weak" hand? Is this important to do well??

What is an Assault Weapon? My dad says there are only rifles and carbines, and the term is a make believe term by anti-gunners.

Thanks!

I think shooting with your weak hand is very important.

I also agree with you about the term "assault weapon," which is why I often put it in "quotes" when I type it.... :wink1:

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"assault weapons" by definition must be full auto weapons firing an intermediate to low powered round...not available for general public consumption.

Non-dominant hand shooting- if you are serious about combat shooting you should be cultivating the skill.

E

Escrima Demon

Mr. Chad,

Is the SKS an assault weapon?

I saw them at gunshows for under 200 dollars.

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Escrima Demon said:
Mr. Chad,

Is the SKS an assault weapon?

I saw them at gunshows for under 200 dollars.

I consider it a rifle. However, if you modify it, something I do not recommend, it could be considered an assault weapon by Chad's definition...

Paul

Latest Discussions