What would you do?

cashwo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kenpojujitsu3 said:
As an instructor know and take comfort in the fact that YOUR attitude in training will almost always supercede any others. You will always have that one small section of students that don't share your goals and focus. Accept them just the same and keep the ship going.
Exactly and to him he probablly doesn't think he as a "non-serious attitude" because he has a serious attitude towards HIS goals.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have a few students whom are "up" on age. They have a less "desire" for ranking or attending likewise to the younger ones. This is not a lack of motivation, but a different attitude or understanding on what THEY want out of their training/practice.

If siad students do not disrupt any classes, then they should be allowed to trained at their pace, not on what is deemed by others.

cashwo

Green Belt
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
I have a few students whom are "up" on age. They have a less "desire" for ranking or attending likewise to the younger ones. This is not a lack of motivation, but a different attitude or understanding on what THEY want out of their training/practice.

If siad students do not disrupt any classes, then they should be allowed to trained at their pace, not on what is deemed by others.
Out of all my posts on this thread this is what I was trying to say.

B

Booie_101

evening all........
i've been watching this thread with some intreaste for a while now,i'm not an instructer myself,but i'm a student in a class were 90% of people have no intreast in grading.this in its self is not a bad thing as some people are there in the quest for knowlarge.
But we have had people of all ages come thru the doors that have used the class as a workout/socical event and have been disruptive when others have been trying to learn and my instructer had made it clear to everybody that disrupting his class and the people who were there to learn was not on and people would be shown the door for disrespecting his students and his class.it does seem a bit harsh but think of it as a a shot across the bows so to speak.
This is one approch and it has worked well for us.

good luck

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Booie_101 said:
evening all........
i've been watching this thread with some intreaste for a while now,i'm not an instructer myself,but i'm a student in a class were 90% of people have no intreast in grading.this in its self is not a bad thing as some people are there in the quest for knowlarge.
But we have had people of all ages come thru the doors that have used the class as a workout/socical event and have been disruptive when others have been trying to learn and my instructer had made it clear to everybody that disrupting his class and the people who were there to learn was not on and people would be shown the door for disrespecting his students and his class.it does seem a bit harsh but think of it as a a shot across the bows so to speak.
This is one approch and it has worked well for us.

good luck
those are the key differences, and so far the orginal poster has not given any impression of a disruption just a lack of wanting to proceed in the curriculum.

Wanting to stick with the material you have -- no problem.
Being disruptive -- big problem.

Not wanting to proceed -- apples
being disruptive -- oranges.

Good post and I agree, someone's a disruption show them the door...........................the outside of the door that is.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Martial art training is in somewhat analogy of a gym/weight workout...many variables on what results the individual desires...

OP
chinto01

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Once again I would like to thank all of you for your constructive critisisim and advice. Last week I asked the before mentioned student to provide me some idea of what he is looking for in his training wether it be the issue of staying limber or if there is something else for me to focus on with him. When I approached him on the subject this week he had nothing to offer me. This week however he added a little twist to things. While broken off to do individual kata practice instead of doing the form he was working on(naihanchi shodan) he decided to do a tai' chi form. I have absolutely no problem with him doing this before class begins which he has done before but to do it during a regular class was a little uncomfortable especially when my newer students wanted to know when they would learn that form.
During self defense he felt the need to add his two cents worth in on most of the things I had to say. After class I explained to him that it was poor dojo ettiquette to interupt an instructor while he is teaching and to please not do it again. How would you all handle this? I believe I have been more than patient with Mr. X and am debating showing him the door. hopefully this is coming to a conclusion. Thanks for your patience with me on this subject.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
chinto01 said:
he added a little twist to things. While broken off to do individual kata practice instead of doing the form he was working on(naihanchi shodan) he decided to do a tai' chi form.

During self defense he felt the need to add his two cents worth in on most of the things I had to say.
Rob
Debate over, disruption positive. "see that door...........no I meant the over side of it....see it now?......good." SLAM

B

Booie_101

you have told him that you feel his is showing disrespect to not only you but your class,see if he takes the hint..........if buy next class he still wants to do his own thing you are well with in your right to show him the door,explain your reasons and see what he says.

good luck

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
chinto01 said:
Once again I would like to thank all of you for your constructive critisisim and advice. Last week I asked the before mentioned student to provide me some idea of what he is looking for in his training wether it be the issue of staying limber or if there is something else for me to focus on with him. When I approached him on the subject this week he had nothing to offer me. This week however he added a little twist to things. While broken off to do individual kata practice instead of doing the form he was working on(naihanchi shodan) he decided to do a tai' chi form. I have absolutely no problem with him doing this before class begins which he has done before but to do it during a regular class was a little uncomfortable especially when my newer students wanted to know when they would learn that form.
During self defense he felt the need to add his two cents worth in on most of the things I had to say. After class I explained to him that it was poor dojo ettiquette to interupt an instructor while he is teaching and to please not do it again. How would you all handle this? I believe I have been more than patient with Mr. X and am debating showing him the door. hopefully this is coming to a conclusion. Thanks for your patience with me on this subject.

Rob

Looks like it keeps getting better and better for you. As far as him doing a different kata, I would tell him to focus on the required kata. There is time before or after class for the Tai Chi forms. As for the SD portion of your class, it looks like you've addressed it by telling him he is disrupting the class. Its certainly a tough situation. If he can't seem to follow the rules of the school, it appears you're faced with no other option than to let him go.

Mike

OP
chinto01

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well it is finally over I believe. While teaching class last evening Mr. X called the dojo to speak with me about his training. He expressed that he was grateful for the opportunity to train with me over the last year and was calling to inform me that he was going to pursue other interests. I wished him the best and let him know that the dojo door was always open to him if he ever decided to come back. I let him know however that if he did decide to come back that we would need to discuss his training goals before hand to see if I could accomodate him in what he is looking for. hind sight being what it is Mr.X was a nice person in general and i wish him luck in whatever endeavors he decides to participate in.

Rob

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good ending to a tough situation. I would wager a bet that this student will not be coming back anytime soon.

Mike

B

Booie_101

you did your best by your student/student's and thats all anyone can ask.

good luck for you and your dojo in the futre.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now he's disruptive and disrespectful...that's different.

Make sure everyone knows the rules. Next time he breaks them, ask if he might be happier elsewhere.