What will the Martial Arts be 50 years from now?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually yes a few. But that is embarrassing to admit. The point is that people got killed because a faulty safety wasn’t fixed on a common use bolt action rifle where the gun really did just go off on its own. This one I am quite sure of because I witnessed it myself.
So. 7.5 million Remington Model 700's sold. And it looks like 100-150 injuries. That's bad, granted. But it's still a pretty tiny number.
Nobody has said it's impossible for a gun to "just go off". Just that it's an insanely rare occurrence.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Automatic knives are opened by pushing a button. They don't go off in your pocket. Neither do guns, unless you're really stupid. Just put the light saber in a holster that covers the button till it's drawn.

Torches do all the time. They just don't melt steel.

Have you seen a holster for a lightsaber

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211231-121506_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20211231-121506_Google.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 55

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Torches do all the time. They just don't melt steel.
Sure. Which is why more thought is put into buttons that can hurt you.
Have you seen a holster for a lightsaber
Nope, but it would take all of 30 seconds to design one that shielded the button from random touches.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What could go wrong?
It's shocking, isn't it? I mean, who could have considered that a fiction writer, nearly half a century ago, imagining a weapon intended to merge the romance of swashbuckling with the wiz bang of science fiction, and operating on principles which are almost certainly impossible, while mixing it into a story line which combines telepathy, telekinesis, precognition, and, frankly, magic, ...that he might not really think about the personal safety features of his imaginary weapon.

Darned odd.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's shocking, isn't it? I mean, who could have considered that a fiction writer, nearly half a century ago, imagining a weapon intended to merge the romance of swashbuckling with the wiz bang of science fiction, and operating on principles which are almost certainly impossible, while mixing it into a story line which combines telepathy, telekinesis, precognition, and, frankly, magic, ...that he might not really think about the personal safety features of his imaginary weapon.

Darned odd.

Correct. It bugs me as much as nobody in the Harry potter universe carries a backup wand.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Correct. It bugs me as much as nobody in the Harry potter universe carries a backup wand.
Wands are not necessary in that story. They're used as a focus and a teaching tool, but there are plenty of examples of characters casting without a wand. Hagrid, for example, had his wand snapped and was expelled from the school well before he would have graduated. But he can still use magic. And since we're told that a person has to use their own wand (suggesting some sort of attunement) to get real benefit from a wand, it's reasonable to assume that a person can only "attune" one wand at a time.
On the other hand, there are lots of inconsistencies in those books. Because fiction.

bill miller

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Darned odd.
I find your lack of faith in the"Force:... } disturbing!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wands are not necessary in that story. They're used as a focus and a teaching tool, but there are plenty of examples of characters casting without a wand. Hagrid, for example, had his wand snapped and was expelled from the school well before he would have graduated. But he can still use magic. And since we're told that a person has to use their own wand (suggesting some sort of attunement) to get real benefit from a wand, it's reasonable to assume that a person can only "attune" one wand at a time.
On the other hand, there are lots of inconsistencies in those books. Because fiction.

And yet.

Latest Discussions