What to do.

Tectrix

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello, I have a 3 year old son soon to be 4 in May. I live in far north Texas in the Frisco area. I have been doing research on martial arts schools in the area for me and my son. The school I have found that I think would be best is Shaolin Wu-Yi Institute.

The reason I like that school is because of the philosophy teaching. I want my son and I to learn the traditions of what ever martial arts we decide on. I want a well rounded training program. The problem I'm running into is that the Wu-Yi Institute says I need to wait until my son is at least 5 before they would consider training him. I have read the starting a child before the age of six is just babysitting. Which would back up what they are saying.

I called a few martial arts schools in my are to talk with them. I was told that the reason all the schools in this are lacking in the traditional teachings (Americanized) was because people thought they would be filling their children's heads with a bunch of eastern religion. I could not believe what I was hearing. People aren't secure enough in there Christianity to learn about martial arts?

I was thinking I might start my son and I in a Taekwondo program for a couple of years. And then switch to Wu-Yi after that. As you can tell I'm really confused as to what to do. I am open to all suggestions that are offered. I don't just want to teach my son how to fight or defend himself. I know he will be faced with so many temptations growing up that I want to teach him to be comfortable with himself and not be afraid of the future but embrace it with passion. Thank you.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes I've heard that reason given as to why the more "Eastern" elements seem to be left out in many cases. People seem to not be able to grasp that differing cultures do and believe differently. But really it's a non issue, the school owners saw a way of making more money by presenting the art in a more "Western" fashion so more power to them and their pocket books.

As to the age thing, I agree. Your child being that young is just babysitting in a nice uniform.

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
putting a kid that young into martial arts is in most cases not the most efficient way to invest their time or your money.
At that age I have found that the absolute best thing is to place your kid into a gymnastics program that has the equipment and knowledge to teach your kid coordination, agility, dexterity, balance etc.
from visiting many partial arts classes for 3-5 year olds or a similar range I have found they are generally working on the same type of drills anyways, but do not have the proper equipment so all you are generally getting is a watered down version of what you would get in gymnastics.
my son is 5 and my daughter is 2, both of them participate in gymnastics classes, my son for a while.. as he has gotten involved in other sports he is light years ahead of his peer group physically in all aspects. He is just now getting ready to enter into a structured martial arts class with other kids.... and I teach martial arts for a living if thats worth anything.
There are always exceptions to every rule and I do not know your child, but chances are they will get alot mre from gymnastics as they understanding the group dynamics and social aspects of being in a class learning new skills..
just my 2 cents.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello, I have a 3 year old son soon to be 4 in May. I live in far north Texas in the Frisco area. I have been doing research on martial arts schools in the area for me and my son. The school I have found that I think would be best is Shaolin Wu-Yi Institute.

The reason I like that school is because of the philosophy teaching. I want my son and I to learn the traditions of what ever martial arts we decide on. I want a well rounded training program. The problem I'm running into is that the Wu-Yi Institute says I need to wait until my son is at least 5 before they would consider training him. I have read the starting a child before the age of six is just babysitting. Which would back up what they are saying.

I called a few martial arts schools in my are to talk with them. I was told that the reason all the schools in this are lacking in the traditional teachings (Americanized) was because people thought they would be filling their children's heads with a bunch of eastern religion. I could not believe what I was hearing. People aren't secure enough in there Christianity to learn about martial arts?

I was thinking I might start my son and I in a Taekwondo program for a couple of years. And then switch to Wu-Yi after that. As you can tell I'm really confused as to what to do. I am open to all suggestions that are offered. I don't just want to teach my son how to fight or defend himself. I know he will be faced with so many temptations growing up that I want to teach him to be comfortable with himself and not be afraid of the future but embrace it with passion. Thank you.

I agree 3 is young and that 4 can also be young. The Gymnastics program is a good idea.

In our area youth Wrestling programs are available. I would recommend one of them as well, if they take kids that young.

The issue with kids that young is that the small few that can stay concentrated for 45 minutes is a difficult task. Even by breaking things up and putting in drills that allow kids to run across the floor and yell just to burn off some energy.

As to the religious concerns, some systems can be embraced without a philisophical or religous portion, but others are tied together. Having an open mind and knowing where you come from and or believe is a good thing, but not everyone has that. And thier fears come out and it effects what is offered to everyone.

Good Luck :)

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Many people seem to be insecure in their belief (or lack of) system in the US and it's a shame.

I don't know that I can add to what has already been said except to say that the plan to put him in one style of martial arts and then swap styles - while it sounds good - might be a mistake. He would likely have to change so many little things about his training just from TKD to be successful in the other style could frustrate him to the point of wanting to just continue with TKD. And you might be more willing to allow that once you've been there for two years - it's easier to stay with something you know and is easy to be successful in than make that transition - it's bigger for a child than you think.

I agree that another generic sport designed for total fitness and challenge would be beneficial at this point and gymnastics / tumbling will be a TERRIFIC asset to virtually any martial art; then when he's old enough, enroll him in the school you think is best for him. Take this time to go and watch, participate yourself (maybe) and get a feel for the people teaching, the atmosphere, the students, the philosophy, etcetera.

Please keep us posted as to your decision and follow-through.

Good Luck

OP
T

Tectrix

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you so much!! Your advise has inspired me to set aside the martial arts plan until he is old enough to really understand what is going on. I had never thought about gymnastics before. What a wonderful idea to build his strength and balance among other things. After visiting several gymnastic programs in my area and doing a lot of reading on the subject. I decided that my son and I would spend the spring and summer turning our 1/2 acre backyard into an obstacle course and a jungle gym of sorts. I work from home and have him all day two days a week. We can spend a lot of time building everything right and get to bond at the same time. My wife likes the idea as well. Again thank you guys so much.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Another idea to start him on now would be to just get him into soccer. Running, kicking, hitting a ball, having fun, etc. Then transfer over to the Martial Sciences when he is mature enough and ready! ;)

Latest Discussions