WHAT STYLE DOES JIM KELLY ( black guy from enter the dragon ) PRACTICE

bobquinn

Green Belt
Reaction score
KENPO, look close in the movie and you will see, kenpo in the back ground.open scene with master kelly

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
KENPO, look close in the movie and you will see, kenpo in the back ground.open scene with master kelly

Actually, he bounced around a bit, but his rank was in Okinawa-te, under Gordon Doversola-I think he stareted in Shorin-ryu. The kenpo scene was in the dojo of Steve Saunders, of the BKF, and for just that reason (the BKF)-that, and Bruce Lee liked Steve Saunders' hand speed....

...I guess Mr. Doversola studied with Mr. Parker, though, so there is a connection.....

Last edited:

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Another great martial artist who needs to make a comback. You knwo he's teachign tennis now! Tennis!

"Black Belt Jones," One down, Two To Go," amazing!

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score

The BKF was founded by Kenpo guys. Steve Sanders Muhammed ( 8 time IKC champion and student of Chuck Sullivan) is actually in the scene at the school (BKF logo on the wall.)

Another great martial artist who needs to make a comback. You knwo he's teachign tennis now! Tennis!

"Black Belt Jones," One down, Two To Go," amazing!

It's the same guy.

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The BKF was founded by Kenpo guys. Steve Sanders Muhammed ( 8 time IKC champion and student of Chuck Sullivan) is actually in the scene at the school (BKF logo on the wall.)

It's the same guy.

Did Mr. Muhammed actually get his formative training from Mr. Sullivan though? I always thought the BKF expression of kenpo was pretty far from the Parker system...

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Did Mr. Muhammed actually get his formative training from Mr. Sullivan though? I always thought the BKF expression of kenpo was pretty far from the Parker system...

nope, Sanders got his BB from Parker I believe. BKF is based on EPAK

Bottom line, if you ask Mr. Muhammed who his instructor was he will tell you Chuck Sullivan.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
ask Doc about it, he was an original member of the BKF, and was there when they were filming that scene...

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
Didn't he do most of his studying under Sheldon Parker and was it not Shorin-Ryu Karate if I'm not mistaken. I would love to see him come back and make a good Martial Arts Movie, but he's what 58 now, so he better hurry LOL.

I read somewhere that he's doing his own hybrid style, don't know for sure.

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually, he bounced around a bit, but his rank was in Okinawa-te, under Gordon Doversola-I think he stareted in Shorin-ryu. The kenpo scene was in the dojo of Steve Saunders, of the BKF, and for just that reason (the BKF)-that, and Bruce Lee liked Steve Saunders' hand speed....

...I guess Mr. Doversola studied with Mr. Parker, though, so there is a connection.....

Agreed, here's a link that also states that as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Kelly_(martial_artist)

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
From the book "The Journey" in Steve Muhammad's own words...

One evening Chuck Sullivan came from the Crenshaw school to WLA. He brought a film of him and Mr. Parker putting on a demonstration that was fantastic. That's when I first saw Mr. Sullivan, and I was impressed by his form, skill, and physcial appearance. I thought, looking at him, 'He's my size; if he can do it, I can do it.' I had been trying to thunder like Mr. Parker and it just wasn't working for me. So I started going down to the Crenshaw school. -p160

Until I got to the Crenshaw school I didn't really know how to start making the Kenpo system work for me. Once Mr. Sullivan allowed my own expression of the techniques, I became a much better fighter. -p 161

One of the things that Chuck Sullivan actually taught me was there was a time to fight and a time not to. -p165

He says much more about Master Sullivan and the training he recieved from Chuck Sullivan.

takezo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yes, Jim Kelly started under Parker Sheldon in Kentucky, but his tournament notoriety was due to his training with Gordon Doversola - and an awfull lot of hard work and dedication. Kelly credits Doversola in a 1980s Karate Illustrated article (best as I can remember).

A terrific athelete and just an all around nice guy.
Can't hold your feet to the fire for guessing but that never happened. However, they both have common Kempo/Kajubenbo roots in Hawaii. Doversola and Parker had a 'competitive' relationship since the 1950's and finally burried the hatchet just prior to Mr. Parker's passing.

Latest Discussions