What size Bō to get

OP
D

DrewTheTKDStudent1992

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I thought about it and I would get a 5 ft 6 in staff, but maybe I would like to get a 6 ft one because of the tradition.

I also want a for forms and combat techniques. 6 ft is a good height for it right?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I thought about it and I would get a 5 ft 6 in staff, but maybe I would like to get a 6 ft one because of the tradition.

I also want a for forms and combat techniques. 6 ft is a good height for it right?
Based on what reasoning? A lot of questions were sent in Your direction, including what does your instructor recommend, and what methodology are you training? These things matter, but you haven’t given us any answers. We have no basis on which to form any advice.

OP
D

DrewTheTKDStudent1992

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Based on what reasoning? A lot of questions were sent in Your direction, including what does your instructor recommend, and what methodology are you training? These things matter, but you haven’t given us any answers. We have no basis on which to form any advice.

I am looking for these answers myself

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am looking for these answers myself
You have the answers to these questions.

1. Do you have a teacher? What does he recommend?

2. What system are you training?

If the answer to 1 is no, then the answer to 2 is none.

Are you getting instruction, or are you trying to use some kind of media to learn something, or are you making up something on your own?

OP
D

DrewTheTKDStudent1992

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You have the answers to these questions.

1. Do you have a teacher? What does he recommend?

2. What system are you training?

If the answer to 1 is no, then the answer to 2 is none.

Are you getting instruction, or are you trying to use some kind of media to learn something, or are you making up something on your own?

I used to study under my TKD master in a small dojang near my workplace, pre-social distancing. I had to paying off my car, so I put those classes on hold for a bit. But that’s another story.

Anyway I haven’t gone to many classes since the pandemic hit, but before that I did do some bo staff training under him after my 2nd Dan Black Belt testing.

So I’m basically doing stuff on my own for a little bit, and remembering some of what he taught.

And it was Kukkiwon TKD.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I used to study under my TKD master in a small dojang near my workplace, pre-social distancing. I had to paying off my car, so I put those classes on hold for a bit. But that’s another story.

Anyway I haven’t gone to many classes since the pandemic hit, but before that I did do some bo staff training under him after my 2nd Dan Black Belt testing.

So I’m basically doing stuff on my own for a little bit, and remembering some of what he taught.

And it was Kukkiwon TKD.
Given that you have some instruction, it would be best to get your instructor’s input. If you were training some bo already with him, what were you using then? Seems like you probably already have the answer you are looking for?

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

You could buy a 6 ft bo and then cut it down to the exact length you want. (5'7", 5'8", etc...).

Just remember you have to cut both ends for the taper to be the same and for correct balance.

OP
D

DrewTheTKDStudent1992

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You could buy a 6 ft bo and then cut it down to the exact length you want. (5'7", 5'8", etc...).

Just remember you have to cut both ends for the taper to be the same and for correct balance.

I think another problem is the size relative to the ceiling in the house, so maybe cutting it down may be the way to go after all.