What size bjj Gi would I wear?

Maint

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So after careful consideration and lots of thought I'm thinking of giving a local bjj school a try. I'm a newbie to bjj but I did do Chuck Norris style for almost 2 years. In standard karate I wore a size 8 Gi and size 6 pants. The school owner, who I've talked to online says he'd have to take a look at me to see (that is if I decide to stay) and he has wholesale Fuji prices. I'm 6'8" 275 lbs...would I wear an A5 or A6?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So after careful consideration and lots of thought I'm thinking of giving a local bjj school a try. I'm a newbie to bjj but I did do Chuck Norris style for almost 2 years. In standard karate I wore a size 8 Gi and size 6 pants. The school owner, who I've talked to online says he'd have to take a look at me to see (that is if I decide to stay) and he has wholesale Fuji prices. I'm 6'8" 275 lbs...would I wear an A5 or A6?

A GP tent ought to do it there, highpockets. I kid, I kid! :)

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
A lot of the stores online give sizing charts to help you out. Did you also try the Fuji website? I'm only an A3 so unfortunately I can't really give any recommendations for that size. Sizes tend to be built around stockier builds so, for me anyways, the real determining factor was height/limb length. Also, where do you live? You can look up a local martial arts store to go try some on.

Btw, holy crap you're a big guy. I wouldn't want you doing knee on belly on me, haha.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
either one could be true. Depends on the brand. Some run small and some don't. I recommend sending a note to the manufacturer and asking for a recommendation.

Problem you'll run into is more your height than your weight, I suspect. Silverback gis out of Canada can easily accommodate the weight.

I know guys who are about 6'4" and around 260lbs who wear an a5 in most gis.Hope this helps a little.

OP
M

Maint

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well if it helps any my chest is probably 48" waist 40 and inseam 32". Yep I'm all torso lol. And as you can see Bill, I think I may have found my niche!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well if it helps any my chest is probably 48" waist 40 and inseam 32". Yep I'm all torso lol. And as you can see Bill, I think I may have found my niche!

My chest is 54, waist 42, inseam 31. But I'm 5' 10" and go 245. I wear a size 7 karate gi and cut 10 inches off the legs, 8 inches off the sleeves.

Latest Discussions