The effectiveness of flying takedowns

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So I was checking out Jeff Glover's flying circus series from JJ mag, and I was pretty impressed.

That flying Omoplata is something else....

What are your thoughts on flying takedowns? Do you perform them regularly in practice or competition? What do you think of their level of effectiveness?

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've used the flying armbar a few times with success. Unfortunately, when you don't hit it, you can wind up in a precarious situation. I like it hit it from not a double standing position but rather they're trying to do a dynamic/open guard and I can get a good grip on their right wrist (I like to pass to my left). I give it a good tug and jump into it. I've also tried it a couple of times from the knees but just never with both of us standing.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I landed a flying armbar once. (in training) the next time I tried it I smacked my head on the mat hard. Never tried it again because I had too much other stuff to work on.
I always wanted to land a flying triangle but I wasn't really taught it, I just love the heck out of seeing it. Way too old to even play with it now.

But for the flying leg scissors, been doing that since I was a youngster. Done it in competition, in security work, in the gym. I can do it so easy I can cup the back of their head on the way down so as to not let them bounce it off the ground. I can do it as a jump, a slide or a spin (yup). I used to be able to do it as a head scissors (top leg to their throat area with back of your knee - bottom leg angling down their shoulder blades at a 45 toward the floor) but that was only against Karate guys who like to stay in a side stance. I haven't done it since my fifties and won't try again. I actually landed that in competition once. You should have seen his face.

But a regular flying scissors....I can still land that. The thing with any of them is - if it's in your arsenal, you pretty much know when you can land them. And you pretty much know when you ain't got a decent shot either because of position, movement or a particular opponent.

And I sure as heck wouldn't recommend them to everyone.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I like watching flying submissions, but they aren't part of my game for sparring. They're high-risk/high-reward, but the "high-risk" part of the equation is too much for me.

I will occasionally hit a kani-basami (flying scissors), usually as a counter to a single-leg.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like watching flying submissions, but they aren't part of my game for sparring. They're high-risk/high-reward, but the "high-risk" part of the equation is too much for me.

I will occasionally hit a kani-basami (flying scissors), usually as a counter to a single-leg.

And now I know what it's called. Cool!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Love Jeff Grover's material. Very good stuff.

As for flying takedowns at this stage of my life they are predominantly out. As Tony said "high risk" which for what I do simply is not acceptable. Still they are beautiful to watch and like Buka I have landed quite a few back in the day.

Latest Discussions