What next after 15th Dan?

MahaKaal

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I apologise, I am I am not a practitioner of Bujinkan, my comments were very generalised.

In the art I practise, we dont have any ranking, apart from Gurdev (teacher) and Shagird (student), and there is also no set syllabus. What we are taught is a based around a circular skillset, the basics and advanced levels are constantly rotated, applying higher level concepts to basic levels in order to create a spiraling advancement in skill. Essentially we base the art around 16 concepts (2 all encompassing concepts, 7 offensive and 7 defensive), all the concepts can be applied to the 10 forms, which ultimately make up a complete singlular form.

So therefore, even though some arts may not have a set syllabus or structure, the teaching is just as effective, if anything imho it makes it more flexible and adaptable.

savagek

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been practicing Bujinkan method for about 23 years. Unlike others, I have always been drawn to its structure and function. But I do understand when folks feel that none exist. Reasons why could be a seperate thread.

I think many don't enjoy their Bujinkan experience because of the great amount of personal responsibility a student has to take for their own personal growth and development.

Many times I have been confused and had to search out a solution which ment questing ever onward and never staying stuck in my own thoughts and ideas.

My dad (RIP) used to tell me to solve problems not to be part of them.

Soke is fond of saying "Keep Going" sage advice. Thats what I do every time I' am in this spot.

I also have been giving a rank/ goal way past my currnet level of ability and understanding however I continue to practice and accomplish lesser objectives along the way.

Remember, it was about 15 years after Hatsumi Soke was giving his title that he felt comfortable in claiming to be so.

Just an opinion.

Be well and Gassho,

Ken Savage
www.winmartialarts.com

orang_baik

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
IMHO :

i agree with someone who said about 1-3 dan, 4-5 dan and above 5 dan

i still prefer the old style using shoden, chuden, okuden, kaiden

so there is a limit in level

if soke wants to add level that supposed to be between chuden and kaiden

IMHO again,
there are 4 level of master characteristics :
- shoden : still learn by the book, sensei figure is a must, understand about (mostly) the basic technique but in some technique still dont understand the detail and background. usually trying to create a new technique which is not yet perfect

- chuden : understand basic technique + advanced technique. still need sensei figure, but still can learn just from the philosophy of the martial art it self although not in perfect understanding. try to create a new technique which is usually good and combine it with other martial art he/she already know before

- okuden : understand about advanced phylosophy, advanced techique, he/she is almost as good as the soke. usually trying to go back to mokuroku, because he/she understand that his/her technique is almost perfect and to understand more he must go back to the mokuroku.

- kaiden : perfect understanding of the ryuha. Sensei is just a senior practitioner for him, doesnt really need sensei, but still deep respect for sensei. can create perfect technique, but usually just keep it for closed people only to keep the technique doesnt go beyond densho, he/she is the next soke. usually in this level there can be split in technique causing split in ryu ha

Latest Discussions