What makes

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In other thread people ask what make a great instructor since we all do TKD what do you believe makes a get instructor and how do you incorporate this into your training.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I believe that first and foremost, a strong foundational knowledge of your art- the history/ where you're coming from (both the art as a whole and what your particular style is), then a lot of patience, a willingness to continue to learn (yourself), and an open mind (which can be the same thing as what I just said)...

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe that first and foremost, a strong foundational knowledge of your art- the history/ where you're coming from (both the art as a whole and what your particular style is), then a lot of patience, a willingness to continue to learn (yourself), and an open mind (which can be the same thing as what I just said)...

Definitely! I also think experience instructing as an assistant and substitute (being there without your instructor or a senior to rely on is totally different from teaching when your instructor or a senior around).

You also need to be flexible in your understanding of what your are doing and the "right" way to teach it - lots of people are great students, and good assistants, but they are not able (or willing) to deviate from what works for them so that they can find what works for the student.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In other thread people ask what make a great instructor since we all do TKD what do you believe makes a get instructor and how do you incorporate this into your training.

A great instructor who is someone who can adapt his/her method of teaching to mesh with the student's method of learning.

We all begin instructing with a "When your a hammer, everything looks like a nail" mantality. The great instructors is the ones that grow past that.

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Definitely! I also think experience instructing as an assistant and substitute (being there without your instructor or a senior to rely on is totally different from teaching when your instructor or a senior around).
Absolutely! I remember my master asking me to "help teach a class" and when I got there he left to play golf. When I saw him later I asked him why he left and he said "to help you to teach".

You also need to be flexible in your understanding of what your are doing and the "right" way to teach it - lots of people are great students, and good assistants, but they are not able (or willing) to deviate from what works for them so that they can find what works for the student.
I learned alot from teaching others. I learned to teach many different ways so I could connect with any student in the way they needed me to.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Technique is improved by repeating techniques thousands and thousands of times.

I think a great instructor is one who is able to make a class fun and interesting while still getting some of those reps in, keeping it fresh while still doing the same ol' stuff — over and over and over and over and over again — but in ways it doesn't seem that way.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would add that the one thing I've learned is that I teach students, not lessons. Much like the "hammer & nail" idea: each student is uniqe. Some are visual learners, some auditory. Some learn in other ways. Also, some bring baggage into the dojang that we don't know about. It's important to me that I don't forget that, as important as the lessons I teach are, students come first.

Latest Discussions