Weapons

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What weapons do you incorporate into the TKD training you do and why. Do you use any traditional weapon or even modern day weapons.
Has this helped in your taring or does it hinder it.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We teach weapons defense, but not offense. Weapons can be great, but we don't train with them enough in class to become proficient, although I know some people who train weapons outside of class. How you train, and with what, determines your reactions - and plenty of people I know either can't or don't want to carry weapons, and therefore want to train without them.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We train in weapons, but unlike many schools, it's not part of the same class session nor is it under the guise of Taekwondo weapons training. It's Hae Dong Gumdo, which is an art in its own right.

Bret Hinds

Green Belt
Reaction score
We do not teach weapons, but I teach disarming. We have a lot of prison guards, D.E.A., National Guard that have a need for that type of training.In our self defense demo's to specail needs people. We teach improvised weapons, flash lights, hair combs, belts etc. For fun I do Irish Stick. Our insurance does not us to teach weapons.All the best in the arts

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We do not teach weapons, but I teach disarming. We have a lot of prison guards, D.E.A., National Guard that have a need for that type of training.In our self defense demo's to specail needs people. We teach improvised weapons, flash lights, hair combs, belts etc. For fun I do Irish Stick. Our insurance does not us to teach weapons.All the best in the arts

Sir is it the extra cost that makes your insurance not allow weapons, just asking because my insurance never really ask us if we do weapons or not.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We do some Arnis stick training; and I train shuriken on my own.

Bret Hinds

Green Belt
Reaction score
To answer the question about my insurance, they asked us what we teach and if we do weapons.If we wanted to teach weapons we had to pay a higher fee, not worth the extra trouble or cost to our students. All the best in the arts

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To answer the question about my insurance, they asked us what we teach and if we do weapons.If we wanted to teach weapons we had to pay a higher fee, not worth the extra trouble or cost to our students. All the best in the arts

Oh I see my insurance never ask us. Funny how things vary from place to place.

hong kong fooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
in the TKD school I go to we do not teach weapons my head instructer has weapons at the studio but he does not teach weapons. now my other class I was taking did

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, we teach Bong Sul & Hyung (Staff techniques and forms) as part of the normal curriculum starting at 9th Gup - Orange belt in our system. We have 5 staff forms: Two basic that follow the I-pattern; one form created by Yoon Byung-in; one form created by Yoon Kwe-byung (early Jido Kwan Kwan Jang); and another titled, "Jua bu Jang." But I unclear on the spelling and name of the last form since I haven't yet learned it. I do know that this form was in Yoon Kwe-byung's bong hyung textbook he wrote in Japan in the 1940's. For bong hyung, we also have 3 Sabong Hyung (4-direction) staff forms.

At 7/8th Gup we begin instructing close range handgun defense. At 5th Gup, students begin learning avioding and defense against a chung bong (medium length stick). Traditionally this stick was a sword, but we simply practice with a Jukdo (Shinai). I suppose in modern times it could be defense against a baseball bat.

We have more of a karate influence rather than Taekwondo (my instructor trained at the early Changmoo-Kwan and Kangduk-Won and preserves the requirements from there).

R. McLain

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have more of a karate influence rather than Taekwondo (my instructor trained at the early Changmoo-Kwan and Kangduk-Won and preserves the requirements from there).

R. McLain

I've noticed in the past that your take on KMA is very close to mine, Rob—our own dojang is heavily influenced by the Shotokan component of Song Moo Kwan, our lineage, so I guess that makes sense... but the weapons stuff we do is actually more from FMA than from Japan. Somewhere along the line my instructor began bringing Arnis techs into our curriculum... that may have been something he got from Greg Fears, his own teacher.

Latest Discussions