What makes a great TKD coach

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was wondering what makes a great Olympic style coach and what makes a competitor want to be there player.
Terry

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
I was wondering what makes a great Olympic style coach and what makes a competitor want to be there player.
Terry

I could really dig into this, but I'll try to keep it short. Because I was a competitor, that's the point of view I have and try to model myself as a coach after. What did I need and what was glariningly obvious when I didn't get it.

You should know your player's movement and body mechanics better than he knows them himself.
You should know your students limits and push them without breaking them.
Know when they're being lazy or when they're trying their best, but may be just a little off.
Knowing the difference between their excuses and their reasons.
Recognizing when they're burnt out and knowing how to rejuvinate them.
Knowing when to show compassion or a strong hand.
Positive reinforcement without false praise.
To understand their goal and help them to reach it. Their goal. Not your goal for them.
To build within themselves pride and confidence, but not arrogance.

Most importantly. You must believe and have faith in each other.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Pretty much everthing Gemini said.
I would start with this one - -

Gemini said:
To understand their goal and help them to reach it. Their goal. Not your goal for them.

A coach must love what they do (not like). They must always have the best interests of their athlete in mind. It is about their moment in the spotlight, not yours. The focus is not on winning, but on doing well, and being proud that you gave it your all, and peformed with diginity and honor. Winning is a by-product of performing well. A good coach must know the competition rules, so they can train and prepare their fighter properly. They should have an indepth knowledge of the sport, and how to analyze an opponent's tactics to find their weaknesses. They know their own fighter's strengths, and can direct them to use it at the right time. They observe opponents fighting other matches to know what their fighter will be facing, and prepare a strategy that is flexible. They must be able to communicate their insights to a fighter during a match with subtle signals that are understood.

I tend to believe that when an athlete competes, it is the young, strong body fighting in the ring, using the decades of knowledge and experience of the coach outside the ring. A coach motivates the fighter, and the fighter performs at top level because they want to. Most of all it is a team effort - - the fighter respects his/her coach, but they have a bond that is beyond words.

As Gemini put it . . .

"Most importantly. You must believe and have faith in each other."