What is your favorite Handgun......

• Thread starter Chicago Green Dragon
  • Start date
OP
W

WCBrown

I prefer the SIG 226 for primary and 232 for back-up. I really like the reliability and accuracy of SIG. Not to say that there arent many very well made firearms out there. ( H&K,Glock,S&W,etc...) It's just a matter of personal preference.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
old Para for colt combat commander .45; backup = S&W J-frame 38 snubby. Had a Desert Eagle (bout 20 years back); loved it, sold it to a buddy; wish I had it back.

Used to be able to get a .357 Desert Eagle, but at least in California, they aren't available anymore. Does anybody know why? (I heard something about not passing the drop test, but that don't make sense). Anybody know where they may be found?

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
Used to be able to get a .357 Desert Eagle, but at least in California, they aren't available anymore. Does anybody know why? (I heard something about not passing the drop test, but that don't make sense). Anybody know where they may be found?
"That don't make sense" Exactly! I think California has some idiotic law about requiring guns to pass a "drop-test" which is exactly what the name implies, they drop them (I think about 20 feet, maybe more) repeatedly and the check to see if they still fire. Why? 'cause you know hundreds of people die when they drop their gun and it goes off (note the sarcasm :)). As far as finding one, you can probably get one anywhere except CA.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
kenpotex said:
"That don't make sense" Exactly! I think California has some idiotic law about requiring guns to pass a "drop-test" which is exactly what the name implies, they drop them (I think about 20 feet, maybe more) repeatedly and the check to see if they still fire. Why? 'cause you know hundreds of people die when they drop their gun and it goes off (note the sarcasm :)). As far as finding one, you can probably get one anywhere except CA.
Thanks. I had started to wonder if Magnum Research made them anymore, or if I had just hallucinated the whole thing in the first place. What a bunch of stoopid laws in Cali.:)

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
1911 colt 45 anyday!

I respect the 9mm round,but the "double tap" was created for that round,because you had to hit them twice to let them know they were shot. exellent penetration...but I don't wanna waste ammo....i'm kooky like that.
Might I make one honorable mention?
God bless the good ol' fashioned side by side double barrel!
I have one thats about 100yrs old has been in my family for generations and it still works!

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bammx2 said:
1911 colt 45 anyday!

I respect the 9mm round,but the "double tap" was created for that round,because you had to hit them twice to let them know they were shot. exellent penetration...but I don't wanna waste ammo....i'm kooky like that.
Might I make one honorable mention?
God bless the good ol' fashioned side by side double barrel!
I have one thats about 100yrs old has been in my family for generations and it still works!
9mm = poodle popper?

OP
M

marshallbd

MY Favorite gun when cost to performance is weighed in was an Astra A-70 in 45. It is a Spanish knockoff of the Sig Sauer line of pistols. Fires extremely wele and fit my hand perfectly. The only real difference between the Astra and the Sig was the spring. (Single coiled vs Double Coiled) That would be my vote... :asian:

OP
M

marshallbd

wisdomstrikes said:
I enjoy shooting the smith 6906, only a 9mm but a great overall gun.
-wisdomstrikes
But what do you carry for a duty weapon? :asian:

OP
M

marshallbd

wisdomstrikes said:
My duty weapon is a glock 27 ( 40 cal).
-wisdom
I thought so, now what confuses me is why you would prefer a Smith 6906 to a glock 27. The smiths are notorious for jams....They did much better with thier Sigma series ( A Glock Knockoff) but unless it's a wheel gun, smith is one I would stay away from. Regardless of what many law enforcement agencies think. :asian: By the way I carried a Beretta as a duty weapon and hated it due to it's size (It just wasn't confortable in my hands). I am no longer in Law Enforcement though so have no handguns at this time. :asian:

wisdomstrikes

White Belt
Reaction score
marshallbd said:
I thought so, now what confuses me is why you would prefer a Smith 6906 to a glock 27. The smiths are notorious for jams....They did much better with thier Sigma series ( A Glock Knockoff) but unless it's a wheel gun, smith is one I would stay away from. Regardless of what many law enforcement agencies think. :asian: By the way I carried a Beretta as a duty weapon and hated it due to it's size (It just wasn't confortable in my hands). I am no longer in Law Enforcement though so have no handguns at this time. :asian:
Your right, my smith does not always perform up to par. That's why I don't carry it while on duty. I still enjoy putting it through a good workout at the range though.
-wisdom

OP
T

Tae Kwon Doughboy

Depends on the catagory or use.

Revolver:
Dan Wesson .357 magnum/.38 special (interchangable barrels - 8 inch is my favorite) for steel plates.

Semiautomatic:
Springfield Armory .45 ACP stainless 1911 Long Slide for target shooting.
Glock G36 .45 ACP for self defense/concealed carry (licensed of course).

OP
R

rschoon

SIG P220 is my fav. Long gun is my AR 15 %-}

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisandyz said:
Daisy Red Ryder...damn I loved that gun.

Oh Handgun, sorry. I have had a Glock 17 for a long time (before thet came out with all the size and caliber varients, but have only shot a Beretta 92. Browning HP, Colt 45, Ruger, SW wheel guns, and misc 22 cal target pistols. Out of those, I chose the Glock. Haven't had the opportunity to try some of the newer models.

OP
M

marshallbd

arnisandyz said:
Oh Handgun, sorry. I have had a Glock 17 for a long time (before thet came out with all the size and caliber varients, but have only shot a Beretta 92. Browning HP, Colt 45, Ruger, SW wheel guns, and misc 22 cal target pistols. Out of those, I chose the Glock. Haven't had the opportunity to try some of the newer models.
In my opinion, the Glock was/is a good choice.... :asian:

OP
M

muaythaifreak

I have to say for just plain fun shooting and reliability it's hard to beat the Desert Eagle .44 Mag semi auto. It's a real nail driver. If you've never fired one, do yourself a favor and rent one at your local range. You will find it to be very accurate, very fun to shoot and very forgiving for a .44 mag.

OP
M

muaythaifreak

I also have to mention the .454 casull. Fun fun. The bigger the better when it comes to handguns.

OP
M

marshallbd

muaythaifreak said:
I also have to mention the .454 casull. Fun fun. The bigger the better when it comes to handguns.
Now that gun is a blast to shoot! But let me tell you after 20 rounds your wrist is feeling it!!! :asian:

Latest Discussions