What is your Dirty Dozen?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What are the 12 offensive H2H techniques that you would bet your life on for self defense? For hypothetical purposes, we'll call this the Dirty Dozen.

upnorthkyosa

ps - I realize that 12 is a very small number, but I'm interested, if you had to par things down and really prioritize, what would come out on top?

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'll go first and give an example...

1. Palm strike.
2. Jab
3. Elbow
4. Knee
5. Front Kick
6. Side Kick
7. Round Kick
8. Arm Bar
9. Rear Blood Choke
10. Side Choke (kata gatame)
11. Osoto Gari
12. Shooting

I tried to stay pretty general with my list and I tried to pick stuff that would have some variations. What would you pick?

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
1. Front kick to the nuts
2. Front kick to the head
3. Knee stomp
4. Hair pulling
5. Eye gouging
6. Kneeing

All I could think of that I'd trust to such a degree with my life. Call it my unclean half-dozen.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
knee kicks and eye gouges definitely fit in there. Perhaps a throat attack as well. These things give some serious damage and if your life is on the line, that is what you need...

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In any life or death situation, I always advise to GET them; meaning:

Groin
Eyes
Throat

If he can't stand, can't see, and can't breathe, he's not much.

Beyond these three:

4. Two-hand bypass (wipe on/wipe off technique) for defense against his strikes. My first rule in a fight: "Don't get unconscious".

5. Knee Break; goes back to the "can't stand" rule.

6. Finger Breaks; hard to hit me with hand or weapon when the third finger goes at a 132 degree angle.

7. Pivot Throw; easy jump-around throw, taking little effort from me but letting the ground do damage for me.

8. Elbow Break; Same as the finger break except the whole lower arm now pivots in all directions.

9. Any choke lock

10. Come-Along Holds; those locks that cause enough pain to manuever the opponent where I want them to go.

11. Any pressure points that debilitate.

12. A sawed-off 8-guage shotgun with a pistol handle grip.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
someone said a kick to the head. I would disagree 100% with that one. Kicks to the head - while flashy -are easy to counter, with or without training. for one, their very slow, so an untrained fighter may simply move back or catch your leg. Someone with some training or common sense might kick you in the groin or knee as soon as your leg is above their knee. I am a firm believer that you dont kick to the head unless their head is at or below your waist level.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Navarre took my answer. Throat, eyes, and groin attacks. Even breaking joints, pressure points, ect. "Whatever works to get out alive," as my jujitsu instructor tells me. He teaches some pretty nasty techniques, and I'm only a white belt. I would probably just react to the situation at hand, like I have before. Use whatever works, and not really think about what I would use.

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
Samantha said:
someone said a kick to the head. I would disagree 100% with that one. Kicks to the head - while flashy -are easy to counter, with or without training. for one, their very slow, so an untrained fighter may simply move back or catch your leg. Someone with some training or common sense might kick you in the groin or knee as soon as your leg is above their knee. I am a firm believer that you dont kick to the head unless their head is at or below your waist level.
Guilty as charged. But since the list is very open-ended, like Upnorthkyosa said, it allows for varieties. My first attack would oblviously not be a kick to the head, the after landing a few hits in, the head becomes an easier target, and a front kick to the head is much harder to stop than a roundhouse (which is admittedly flashier). So while I agree it's not optimal, if the opportunity for a front kick to the head comes up, I'd trust my life with a size 13 hiking shoe to someone's face.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
1- knee strikes

2- elbows

3- palm strikes

4- front kick

5- round house

6- side kick

7- locks

8- throws/sweeps

9- basic ground work

10- weapon defense

11- attacks to the eyes

12- closed hand strikes (jab,cross,hook,uppercut)

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not necessarily in this order, of course:

Eye gouge.

Testicle crush (grabbing and squeezing).

Headbutt.

Biting. I mean reeeeeally chewing on the guy.

Eye rakes (a strike, contrasted to above).

A good ol' low line front kick.

Striking the throat.

Any weapon I can find...that counts for H2H...and that likely will be my knife.

Elbows.

Knees.

Hair pulling, where applicable.

"Swallow Dives on Monkey and steals the Golden Peach." Nah. Cancel that. That only works as a counter to "Crane Spreads Wings and Seizes the Snake." Not a broad enough application here.

Fishhooking (fingers ripping into mouth, nose, for controlling the head).

Regards,

Steve

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
1. Palm strike.
2. Jab
3. Elbow
4. Knee
5. Front Kick
6. Side Kick
7. Round Kick
8. Arm Bar
9. Rear Blood Choke
10. Side Choke (kata gatame)
11. Osoto Gari
12. Shooting
This thread has given me a lot to think about. One thing I noticed as I've read other people's lists is that my list is competition orientated. I've practiced MMA in the past and I've competed with others in a "dojo" setting and this is what I use most often.

Self defense, on the other hand, may or may not include some of these techniques. Therefore, I'd like to revise my list.

1. Eye rake
2. Plier Hand throat strike/crush
3. Testicle strike/constriction
4. Side kick to knee
5. Round kick to leg
6. Arm bar
7. Rear Blood choke
8. Side Choke
9. Osoto Gari
10. Single/Double leg take down
11. Palm strikes
12. Elbow/knees

I threw the first list off the top of my head, this list is the product of a little more careful thought.

Epson

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Samantha said:
I think the individual implied, the kick to head when the guy bends over from groin kick.
I would kick to the head, if it was at the body level or lower.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
1.) elbow
2.) Side kick
3.) foot stomp
4.) cross choke
5.) Hip throw-which one depends on how I get my grip
6.) Knee thrust
7.) Kyusho points
8.) Cupped hand-great for popping ear drums
9.) thumb to pull out eye.

This is my short and dirty list. There are others, but no time to list.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
door shutting kick to the liver
upper-cut punch to the throat
not even 12
hey, there's something interesting i noticed about people who put on glasses
just hitting the glasses will make your opponent very distracted. it will move all his/her focus to the glasses even if they dont show it.
so add that to ur 12..hehe

p.s. i have glasses too. and this happened to me several times until i learned to take them off when i feel threatened or forget about them if they are flown away from my face!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
mantis said:
door shutting kick to the liver
upper-cut punch to the throat
not even 12
hey, there's something interesting i noticed about people who put on glasses
just hitting the glasses will make your opponent very distracted. it will move all his/her focus to the glasses even if they dont show it.
so add that to ur 12..hehe
as a person who wears glasses, i would have to agree, there is truth in what you say.

andy

Green Belt
Reaction score
not in order of course,
eye rake
throat
kneestrikes
(sprawl)
just a good old nose crusher is great for distraction as the tear ducts auto open

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We're talking dirty here right?

eye slices, rakes and claws

heel palms to solar plexus, bridge of the nose, jaw hinge, chin or double heel palm strikes to the sides of the head for a neck break

half fist to the throat

45 degree hammer fist to the kidney

biting -vampfeed--vampfeed-

knee to the groin

front kick to the knee cap

anything from my environment to throw, hit with or create an obstacle

:uhyeah: These will do!

Latest Discussions