What is the 'business' of a MA school/style?

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Giving the customers something they perceive as valuable at a fair price?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Eunning a successful MA school now a days is like any business to cater to your clientel, now if you do not need the money then only train qho you wish and do not worry about bills. But like alot of schools they need to keep the doors open and for this they add thing to bring in income. This does not mean you cannot teach real MA to those that want it just have a seperate class for this . Success is only measured by those that want to, some it is income and students, other it would be staying the true course but then again what really is the true course anymore.

OP
H

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I thought the 'business' of a martial art was passing along the art to students capable of passing that art, as complete as possible, to another generation. 'Success' being measured by at least one student.

Having nothing at all to do with overhead, bills or salaries.

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I think that it is a very delicate balancing act. You want to teach your art in the best way to your students, but you also have to keep your "business" going. Some stay true to the art while creating add-ons (black belt clubs, birthday parties, cardio classes, weapons, etc.), and some actually tailor their "product" to satisfy the "customer". I guess that both can have their pros and cons - the former can allow you to retain the original "product" while also growing your business by attracting people who may not otherwise be interested; the latter can challenge an instrutor to think of new drills and new directions to take the art. The problem is that often the former becomes an all too convenient way to weasle the students out of a few more dollars, and the latter becomes just a general watering down and the art is no longer true to its roots. Since running a school is akin to running a business, then I think that there must be a clear delineation between martial art and business. Too often the two are treated as one and they become detrimental to each other - the martial artist opens a school while being completely ignorant of the business side of things, and the businessman opens a school while being completely ignorant of the nature of martial arts both structurally and culturally. I guess that such is the challenge of trying to use a western convention with something that was not originally designed to use that convention.

Now, what is the business of martial arts? I personally don't think that martial arts is or should be a business. However, if we are going to treat martial arts as a business, then I think that we must use the same model as a health club or a boxing/wrestling gym.

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I thought the 'business' of a martial art was passing along the art to students capable of passing that art, as complete as possible, to another generation. 'Success' being measured by at least one student.

Having nothing at all to do with overhead, bills or salaries.

Exactly!

OP
H

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Considering the times we live in, that model might include the use of contracts...to ensure cash flow. Whatever happened to a handshake? To committment? Do 'social contracts' have any relevance to the survival of any MA? Does one really want students that are kept there with the mindset that might prioritize getting something for the money...instead of being obligated to pass along what they learn?

I don't think, btw, that the money end and the business end of MA are necessarily the same. Or, that keeping the lights on interferes with retaining dedicated students.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think that it is a very delicate balancing act. You want to teach your art in the best way to your students, but you also have to keep your "business" going.

Now, what is the business of martial arts? I personally don't think that martial arts is or should be a business. However, if we are going to treat martial arts as a business, then I think that we must use the same model as a health club or a boxing/wrestling gym.

It's well known that Ed Parker based his business plan for the spread of American Kenpo Karate on the Arthur Murray Dance studios, and he thought of McDonalds as a very successful example of what he wanted to do.

How many people who go to a neighborhood dance studio expect to become world-class dancers? .0001%, and those people need some therapy.

Is the business of Mary's Dance Studio to create world-class dancers? no, it's to earn a living for Mary by teaching ordinary people to dance.

So if you go into BUSINESS teaching martial arts, how different is that from Mary's Dance Studio?

Who your customers are and what they pay you for is completely up to YOU! You might ahve a school full of kids and focus on teaching self-respect and perserverance. If the parents like it, they pay you. You might have a school full of MMA athletes - if they are happy with their training, they pay you.

I thought the 'business' of a martial art was passing along the art to students capable of passing that art, as complete as possible, to another generation. [\quote]

This might be the GOAL of a good teacher but that is not the BUSINESS of a SCHOOL.

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
So if you go into BUSINESS teaching martial arts, how different is that from Mary's Dance Studio?

Martial arts is not dancing. There is a lot more that goes into teaching the martial arts than dance. Be aware of exactly what it is that you are offering and be aware of the nature of what it is that you are dealing with - a martial art is not only dancing (no offence to any dancers, of course). If you go into business then there is a need to generate revenue to pay for operating costs and to gain at least some sort of profit. When teaching martial arts, the need is to teach the style as authentic as possible so that the style will continue to live on in its true form. If people are just simply not interested in what you teach, then you will either have to alter it (thus changing it and compromising its authenticity) or stick to your guns while losing students (thus effectively eliminating your business venture due to lack of money coming in). Its kind of a no win situation. Surrender your integrity to your art for the almighty dollar bill or watch your business crash and burn because the customers aren't interested in learning the authentic version of your style or they just can't handle it. If you are in it strictly for business then of course you won't care about such things as maintaining the authenticity of the art - you will be more focused on putting out a product that panders to what your customer base likes the most because if you don't then they will get bored and leave and you will lose business. You see, it is not completely up to you when you must generate enough revenue to keep things running - it is up to your customers to pay you so that you have a steady flow of cash coming in to pay the fees associated with operating the business, and the customers are only going to pay if they like what you are offering and deem it worthwhile to pour money into. In a capitalist system, it is the paying customer who has the most power. You need their monetary contribution to keep your business running, not vice versa. They can just as easily take their money elsewhere while your business flounders and the doors to your school close. This is why I do not like the idea of martial arts being about business. Too many other factors can affect the training of the art that wouldn't otherwise be there if the business aspects were not present.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Some people have a hard time separating the two...the business side and teaching side.

Anytime a fee is charge....you are running a business (profit or non-profit).

In return you are giving lessons in the martial arts of your style. People are paying you to teach them to learn from you. This is the business side.

Even churches are a business....of helping people reach a higher self...

Anytime money/barter....you are running a business....

Most people DO NOT WANT TO THINK OF MARTIAL ARTS A BUSINESS...Because it is more of a self-development type of program.

For the teacher it is a business...for the students? ..a learning tool

Aloha, Hobbies can be a business!

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It's well known that Ed Parker based his business plan for the spread of American Kenpo Karate on the Arthur Murray Dance studios, and he thought of McDonalds as a very successful example of what he wanted to do.[\quote]

It is so ironic that you mention Arthur Murray Dance studios because I have both learned at one and worked at one for a short time :lol2:. American Kenpo is just that - an American creation, therefore, applying American conventions to it is much easier. Ed Parker himself was very much open to change and experimentation, and his kenpo was a reflection of that, so he wouldn't run into the same problems as say, teaching the Japanese Koryo where strict adherence to a specific tradition is of the utmost importance. A kenpo instructor would be able to be far more flexible to meet his/her customers' needs due to the more flexible nature of kenpo itself. However, a more traditional martial art wouldn't be so easy where the focus is on adhering to a particular tradition and doing things "properly" according to that tradition. Far less leeway for the instructor to accommodate the students, and that impacts new enrollment and retention. This is of course assuming that the instructor is operating in good faith and wants to teach the authentic version of said art. I guess it all comes down to what the school teaches and how marketable the "product" is. If we are talking MMA gyms or dancing as you stated, then the business side of things is probably far less of an issue. I am looking at it more from a TMA standpoint. So I will have to revise my own position - I don't like the idea of *traditional* martial arts being about business. Very interesting stuff, though.

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Most people DO NOT WANT TO THINK OF MARTIAL ARTS A BUSINESS

That is because they originally weren't! It wasn't until they traveled overseas that they have been turned into a business. Heck, most of them were kept within the temple or clan and only taught to certain trusted individuals. We, the west, turned them into a business venture when they originally were not. Business didn't really come into being, at least not in the capitalist sense, until the invention of capitalism and the practice of martial arts predate the invention capitalism.

Uhh, churches are not a business. You do not *have* to give donations. I have attended my church for years and never once have I been told that I must put money in the collection plate or pay tithes in order to continue to hear the lord's message.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
SageGhost said:
...panders to what your customer base likes the most because if you don't then they will get bored and leave and you will lose business. You see, it is not completely up to you when you must generate enough revenue to keep things running - it is up to your customers to pay you

it is up to YOU to create a valuable product and get it in front of the people who want or need it. If you pander to your customers and if you believe your success is not "up to you" then your business is doomed from the start, whether you are selling widgets or teaching MA.

Men like Musashi and Munenori made careers of teaching martial arts long long before the west knew about them. Musashi tried his whole adult life to get a high ranking teaching job but "looked crazy" and was "rude" (according to officials of his day) and so never achieved the high ranking positions he wanted.

Latest Discussions