What is Modern Arnis, and where can I find Training?

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Bram,
In answer to your question -
Terry Wareham is alive and well and active in the midwest and held the annual Michigan IMAF camp.
Rocky Paswik is doing Balintawak also in the midwest.
No data on Jim and Judy Clapp. I stopped communicating wiht him when he told me that he felt he could use the Dillman stuff on the Professor in a cane sparring situation. Honest, he said that to me over the phone.
Lee Lowry is teaching some kenpo but I think his student, Brian Zawilinski, is the main stick these days.
Never met Frank Ricardo.
Dan:flame:

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yea, I talked to Murray for awhile.

I'm starting a new program in Michigan, so I'm working out the details with that. Hopefully, in a month or two (after I build a stronger student base) I'll either come down and bring some people, or even host Murray up in Michigan for a seminar. I know that a few of the Canadians, Michigan, and Chicago area people would be glad to come. I've got a lot of work to do in the mean time.

All my contact info will be up at the WMAA site probably this week. My program will focus on Presas Modern Arnis, as well as anything combative. We like to train hard, so my group should be used to the Motrin and Tigar balm by the time we come visit!;)

PAUL:D

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by PAUL

. . .
I'm starting a new program in Michigan, so I'm working out the details with that.
. . .
PAUL:D

Paul,

How is the program coming?

Let me know so I can stop by :D and have fun
with you.

Rich
:cool:

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
David Ng, NC State Representative for IMAF, INC
--------------------------------------------------------------
Lakan Apat and personal student of the late GM Remy Presas.
Sifu Third degree in Sil-Lum Kung-Fu under GM Rick Ward.
Triangle Kung-Fu Arnis Academy
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, NC area
www.kungfuarnis.com

Roland Rivera, Vice-NC State Representative for IMAF, INC
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lakan Tatlo and personal student of the late GM Remy Presas.
First degree black belt in Sil-Lum Kung-Fu under Sifu David Ng.
[email protected]
Greenville, NC area

Harold Evans - Modern Arnis, Ray Dionaldo's FCS
-------------------------------------------------------------
Lakan under Guro David Ng.
First degree black Belt under Sifu David Ng.
Personal student and state representative of Master Ray Dionaldo.
Greensboro/Piedmont-Triad, NC
[email protected]

Lyndon Johnson - Modern Arnis, Hock Hochheim's CQC
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Lakan under Guro David Ng.
Master Hapkido Instructor
Official NC State Rep for the World Sin Moo Hapkido Association
Lakan under Hock Hochheim's CQC.
Mt Olive/Goldsboro, NC area
[email protected]

GM Rick Ward - Sasamba ("Praying Mantis") Kali Arnis system/Modern Arnis
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Boone, NC area
www.blueridgekungfu.com

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Flint Modern Arnis Club

serves the greater Genesee County area within
Michigan.

If you have any questions or desires
to train please contact me at
[email protected]

Thank you

Rich
:asian:

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I figured I'd post this. I'm too excited about it not too!! :D

The Beginning:
I have been teaching Modern Arnis for awhile, but it started out of necessity more then anything else. My 1st Arnis instructor (who introduced me to professor) had stopped teaching. All of the other people who at the time were more experienced then I also stopped. I loved the art so much, and I didn't want to stop training, so I decided to learn from seminars directly from Professor (and the other experienced people at these camps/seminars) instead of abandoning the art, or trying to find another school that offered MA (I didn't have the $$ to link up w/ a different school AND travel and go to seminars).

Problem: Seminars that I could go to are only 1-3 mo. at a time. I needed to practice in between. So...I started teaching. I didn't advertise or collect money, and I made it known that I'm not an "expert", but I just wanted to practice the art.

Now:

Since Professors death, I felt that given my relationship with the man, and that I was one of his black belts, that I should take some more responsability on not just continueing my education in the art for myself, but on spreading the art the best way I can.

So I opened up a new Modern Arnis/combative Martial arts Program at Worlds Gym in Rochester, MI. We had our 1st class/demo Saturday 22nd and it was a success!!:) I'm really excited, and I hope that this goes well. This gym is a beautiful facility for classes and seminars. I plan on having and hosting many once the general class has a chance to get on its feet.

My contact info is on the WMAA website: www.wmarnis.com

So, if any of yall are in Michigan, get a hold of me and come check us out! I'll keep you all posted on the progress, and possible future events!

Later!!:cool:

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Paul,

Speak for yourself :)
Stick fighting is like Ballet, accept there is no music, no
choreography, and the dancers hit each other with sticks.

When I get hit, I hear music all the time. :D

Good luck

Rich

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just hear alot of birds..but thats when I spar folks who know which end of the stick to hold like Rich and Paul. :D

Both are good folks who know their stuff.:)

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kiath: Thanks! Hopefully I'll be able to teach my students which end of the stick to hold!

Rich: I hope you'll come visit us sometime. We hope to visit you up in flint as well. Your welcome to come over anytime!

E

Emptyglass

As a person who was lucky enough to train with Professor R. Presas and PG Tom Bolden as well a former and continuing student of Doctor Barber, I can wholeheartedly endorse the Doc's program and skills if you happen to be in the Western New York area.

If you're looking for honest, straightforward and effective training which requires you to think about what you're doing, examine the options and practice hard, he's your man. Just my opinion though.

Best Regards,

Richard Curren

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Listing Updated.

I have attempted to list the major organizations and instructors as I've found them. No slight is meant to anyone I did not mention. If you have additional information on where Modern Arnis can be found, please feel free to add on to this listing.

buguhan

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi everybody, I`m searching for Modern Arnis in Stockholm, Sweden, because a friend of mine is moving to there for the next year ans she wants to stay in training!
So could someone of you us?!

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by buguhan
Hi everybody, I`m searching for Modern Arnis in Stockholm, Sweden, because a friend of mine is moving to there for the next year ans she wants to stay in training!
So could someone of you us?!

Buguhan...

Datu Tim Hartman has a list of people for modern arnis in Sweden and other areas of Europe. I suggest getting on www.wmarnis.com (the WMAA website) and either send him an e-mail, or check the school listings on the site and see if there is one close to you. Datu Hartman is also on this forum, screen-name "Renegade." You could probably send him a personal message through MartialTalk.com if you can't find anything on the WMAA site.

Good luck in your training!
PAUL

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by buguhan
Thanks a lot, Paul
By the way: Sweden is not really close to Germany! :)

huH? ;) Yes I know I am an ignorant egocentric american, but I'm not THAT bad!!:rofl:

I know that Sweden is not close to Germany! Datu Hartman is out of New York, but he goes to Denmark and Sweden once a year at least to teach. We have some affiliate schools out there.

As for Germany: We might have some in Germany (heck we're all over) but I'm not sure. There is also Datu Dieter and Master of Tapi-Tapi Gabi Rolof in Germany, so you would have more variety if you were out that way. But, really, I was refering to Sweden when yo originally posted, not Germany!

Still contact Datu Hartman; he will be able to help you.

Cheers!:cheers:

Latest Discussions