What is Jeet Kune Do...

OP
James Kovacich

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Longest weapon to closest target means longest reaching or most forward weapon to the target it is closest to. Fighting in this manner means that you weapon is already half way to the strike zone, but I can see where the wording would be confusing.
In Oakland JKD which I trained, it was ¨closest weapon to closest target¨ but I´ve recently seen a LA BLS teaching ¨longest weapon to closest target¨ which I see as being applied possibly the same but also can be very dfferant.

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I may only be a beginner in the ways of JKD, but this reflects my own opinion quite accurately. JKD was an approach to martial arts, a way of thinking that enables its practitioners to improve themselves and free them from the bonds of any restrictions present in singular martial arts.

Currently my aim is to pursue expertise in several martial arts in order to achieve that... which is why the idea of a JKD school/class never made sense to me... It seems as though a JKD school would go against what JKD attempts to accomplish, which is a freedom from conventional systems. But doesn't any school limit its students to what they're being taught? I don't mean to sound accusatory but wouldn't an approach like mine be more "true" to the principles of JKD? I understand that that's just an opinion and everybody has their own personal interpretations of what JKD is supposed to be, but can somebody please explain to me how a JKD school makes sense? Thanks.
JKD the core of its trainings Lets call that JUN FAN// That being the place to start. putting this with that and calling it JKD is not the way. You must first train the core discard or add to make it your own. And when adding one should discard. But with NO training in what was developed by Bruce it can never be called anything near JKD it can though be called your needs. Just as no one can take this and that and call it wing chun The roots must first be developed before you can grow

Last edited:

Latest Discussions