What IS a Ninja?

Shinkengata

Green Belt
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
I have read that through circumstance the ninja were of the lowest caste. To adhere to the basic honor system meant certain death; so, they were willing to take on jobs not becomming a Japanese.

I once read where Soke said something to the effect of the Bushido code being "for cannon fodder"..

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
From a 1998 interview with Bernard Bordas:

Hatsumi sensei: Foreigners have a caricatural view of Japan and BUDO. Many have discovered the samurai and the Bushido trough the American novel « shogun ». What most don't know is that the book « Bushido » was written by Inazo NITOBE (a university student) in 1899, meaning 32 years after the disappearance of the last samurai, moreover, the writings in that book were based on an epic novel made of 11 volumes (Hagakure Kikigaki) written in memory of warriors some 150 years earlier, by the monk Yamamoto Tsunetomo. That book extols, through its stories, the idea that « the way of the warrior is death ». Before being a monk, Yamamoto Tsunetomo served the Nabeshima clan in the writings/account department, and so never had any real experience of combat, and was neither a martial arts master. As you can see, neither the book « BUSHIDO, the way of the samurai », neither it's inspiration « HAGAKURE KIKIGAKI, notes collected in the leaves' shadow », were written by warriors, but by dreaming and nostalgic intellectuals during a period of peace and so, have nothing in common with the essence of BUDO.

Laterz.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My favorite example of the "reality" of medieval Japanese warfare is the way they treat their swords during the final battle in "The Seven Samurai".

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nimravus said:
My favorite example of the "reality" of medieval Japanese warfare is the way they treat their swords during the final battle in "The Seven Samurai".

Damn it. Now I have to go watch this again, cuz I dont remember. And its a 2 disk movie, so I have to switch disks in the middle.

Grrr.

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had to bring this back to life, because its been like a year, and no one has sent me a Goth in a box yet.

What gives?

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had to bring this back to life, because its been like a year, and no one has sent me a Goth in a box yet.

What gives?

We are still waiting on Shesulsa to stop biting her tounge and tell us what the hell she is thinking.

Besides, all packages to the states have to have customs declarations on the contents. Can you imagine the looks we would get turing in an honest declaration at the local post office?

kingkong89

Green Belt
Reaction score
a ninja is a samurai who has dishonored the samurai and the code of bushido. in fudal japan there was a group of these worriors called the ninja. they were the assassins during this time.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
a ninja is a samurai who has dishonored the samurai and the code of bushido. in fudal japan there was a group of these worriors called the ninja. they were the assassins during this time.
Source? :rolleyes:

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one chimed in with the "ninja as oppressed freedom fighter" theory... :p

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Karl Beatties book on Japanese history and relevence to today?

Is there really anything about the ninja in something he wrote?

I see the original guy seems to have taken the message and hopefully will check his facts a little better next time.

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
There is SO much specualtion... I have read in posts people think the Ninja/samurai were the same, others that they were distinctly separate.

I have seen posters who claim that Ninpo as its taught today is not the art of the ninja of japan... Some instructors say it is...

Historically what WERE the ninja really... and what are they today?

The difficult part about defining ninja is that so much of what the ninja are/were was based just on that - speculation. They weren't exactly the most open of all orgs/groups, and their history is very sketchy even among the japanese themselves. Personally, I would say that yes, the ninja and samurai were not mutually exclusive. There was allegedly a lot of crossover, Hanzo Hattori being a prime example of this. From what little that we actually do know about the ninja, they were very adaptable - sort of the JKDer's of their time, taking anything and everything that was useful to them. As far as ninpo, I can't help you with that one. Heaven knows what the ninpo of back then was like, it was probably hidden even moreso than the tools and techniques that the ninja applied on a daily basis. Ninja, from what I learned, were originally bandits and outcasts - the untouchables of japanese society. However, much like the samurai, they rose up from the grunt level and became a powerful force within japan. There were ninja who joined the ranks of the samurai, and there were ronin or disgraced samurai who fled and joined the ranks of the ninja. There were ninja who were hired by local daimyo as spies, assassins and saboteurs to be used against rival daimyo. There were also ninja who were flat out criminals who used their skills to terrorize and prey on the weak, similar to how some samurai operated. It is only natural that ninja and samurai burrowed skills from each other because they often crossed paths in the feild. So all in all, the ninja were untouchables within japan who became very skilled and powerful, rose up to become a powerful faction within japan similar to how the samurai rose from the grunt status but not quite as accepted or widespread, and penetrated the highest levels of society. Um...and that is about all that I have. This is what I learned and was taught, and I am in no way claiming that this is more true or false than what anyone else has stated. Just putting my foot into the circle. Sorry for the rambling.

Latest Discussions