What I learned after 4 months of punching the heavy bag

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are welcome to train in any way that you like.

Let me ask you a question: you come here and spend a lot of time complaining about forms and how you don’t like them. Ok, you don’t have to like them, you don’t have to train them. That is your free choice.

So what are you trying to accomplish? What do you think will happen, if you just complain hard enough, about how other people train?
@Alan0354
You have continued to dodge this question. Do you have an answer, or shall we simply allow the record to show that you refuse to answer?

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
No, you did not. What do you expect will happen by complaining hard enough about how other people train?
I don't expect anything, you guys are experts, I am only middle of the road, you give me too much credit that people would listen to me. I just voice my opinion.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What do you expect will happen by complaining hard enough about how other people train?
This is a very interested question. Someone asked me, "Why do you want to spend time in online discussion?" My answer to that person was, "There are something that I feel strongly and I want to say."

Why do you come to

A: a Judo forum and complain that people need to train no-gi wrestling?
B: a Taiji forum and complain that people need to train sparring?
C: this forum and complain that form is for teaching/learning/recording only, and form is not for training?
D: this forum and complain that self-defense should also include to protect family members and love one?

My answer to A, B, C, and D are:

Someone has to remind people that there are other things that they may need to consider. Sometimes, someone has to speak up even if his opinion is not popular, and he knows that he doesn't belong to the mainstream.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sometimes, someone has to speak up even if his opinion is not popular, and he knows that he doesn't belong to the mainstream.

This remind me that I got A from a speech course when I was in the University of Kansas at Lawrence.

As a foreign student during my first year in US, my English was not very good. During the speech class, the teacher and all the students sat outdoor on the grass and just talked. Most students started their speech with, "I don't know ..." When teacher asked me, "What's your opinion about the limited resource on earth and the over human population problem?" My answer was, "The more population we have, the more genius that we will create, the more change that those genius will solve this problem." I was the only person in that class who expressed such unusual opinion. I got "A" in that course, and I was an "honor student" that semester (I got all A in that semester).

Last edited:

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is a very interested question. Someone asked me, "Why do you want to spend time in online discussion?" My answer to that person was, "There are something that I feel strongly and I want to say."

Why do you come to

A: a Judo forum and complain that people need to train no-gi wrestling?
B: a Taiji forum and complain that people need to train sparring?
C: this forum and complain that form is for teaching/learning/recording only, and form is not for training?
D: this forum and complain that self-defense should also include to protect family members and love one?

My answer to A, B, C, and D are:

Someone has to remind people that there are other things that they may need to consider. Sometimes, someone has to speak up even if his opinion is not popular, and he knows that he doesn't belong to the mainstream.
And from talking, I get to see you do incorporate kicking and other stuffs into the training, my eyes opened.

My whole point is not about who's better or even where the technique came from. Who cares, the point is about improving and I am sure everyone can improve. Nothing wrong of practicing round kick, side kick, jump side kick like in your video, who cares who invented those!!! If it is useful, just use it.

Like my teacher never even want us to use TKD hands, he taught boxing hands and we practice literally kick boxing in the class. Still TKD kicks all the way. He even brought in a Jujitsu instructor once a month to teach us. I think this is how a good school should be.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't expect anything, you guys are experts, I am only middle of the road, you give me too much credit that people would listen to me. I just voice my opinion.
Well no, you keep complaining about it. You must expect some outcome?

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well no, you keep complaining about it. You must expect some outcome?
I think you are not listening( or reading). There's nothing I can do.

What outcome? You are in control of your school, not me. Other people are in control what they do, not me. I just voice my opinion. Seems like you are very defensive. Something only you know why.

Last edited:
OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is why you need to add in the "leg skill" and don't allow your opponent to have free legs.

IMO, this is the weakest area for all MMA guys used in UFC.
Yep. That concept of pinning an opponent against the ropes or the ring is probably only applicable to sports that fight in a cage or a ring.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yep. That concept of pinning an opponent against the ropes or the ring is probably only applicable to sports that fight in a cage or a ring.
People spend so much time trying to control their opponent's arms. People don't spend enough time trying to control their opponent's legs.

Why?

I have asked this questin among Taiji people. They all hate me for saying that.

my-knee-seize.gif

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
People spend so much time trying to control their opponent's arms. People don't spend enough time trying to control their opponent's legs.

Why?

my-knee-seize.gif
The more I talk, the more I realize myself my issue with forms is on the arm and hand stuffs, not so much on kicking and others. It's like the movements are so fancy, blocking, trapping.....particular WC sticky hands.

If one can have good takedown defense, one can go a long way in fighting. Again I look at those UFC stuffs, so many strikers cannot standing and get taken down, all the striking techniques are out the window when one is flat on it's back.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Which is strange because some of the techniques in the form are for controlling the legs. I think a lot is lost due to the fact that they are applying what they are training in open competition. System A vs System A is not the best way to understand a fighting system.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Again I look at those UFC stuffs, so many strikers cannot standing and get taken down, all the striking techniques are out the window when one is flat on it's back.
Actually you see more people in UFC use take down defense. If you can't take a person down then all of your ground fighting skills go out the window.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Actually you see more people in UFC use take down defense. If you can't take a person down then all of your ground fighting skills go out the window.
for people that are not good in grappling, it's better to have take down defense and not getting on the ground.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Which is strange because some of the techniques in the form are for controlling the legs. I think a lot is lost due to the fact that they are applying what they are training in open competition. System A vs System A is not the best way to understand a fighting system.
In the folllowing clip, if the guy on the left just use the leg skill "shin bite" only, he can take down his opponent.

Taiji_PH.jpg

like this.

Latest Discussions