What have you learned?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's a great article - thanks for posting it!

The author, [FONT=arial,helvetica]Arcenio J. Advincula,[/FONT] starts the article by saying
[FONT=arial,helvetica] I asked, "What is the most important thing you ever learned from your sensei. Each of my teachers taught me many things but as soon as you ask what was the most important, most have to think about it. Since most may have studied with several different sensei, what do you think was the most important thing and how did it change your life or skills?"

When I asked the above question I first thought only about my martial arts teachers but then I thought about those that made a strong influence on my life and thought about all my teachers and instructors. Raised in Alaska in a home without indoor pluming until I was a teenager along with twenty-four years in the Marines learning skills for war have honed me for a Spartan life.
[/FONT]

Later in the article, he says
[FONT=arial,helvetica]From a old Swedish carpenter who was teaching me, when I was a carpenter apprentice, after I was discharged from the Marines on my first tour of duty. He had made a error and had to correct it. He said, “It is not a good carpenter who does not make mistakes, it is a good carpenter that corrects his mistakes. I learned from him that making mistakes is not a sin, not correcting mistakes is.[/FONT]

This is, I think, a key statement (bolding retained from original article) - and is, I think, the most important thing I've learned, both from my sahbum, and his - that making a mistake is not the end of the world; it just points out where there is room for improvement. Everyone makes mistakes - it's how you deal with them that is important.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with Kacey, one must learn from mistake and be burried with em

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, What have you learned? .....The training will never STOP...or we go in reverse. (our muscle gets smaller...our reflexes slows down...etc).

Ageing affects all of us...as we get older...things slows down alot.

The more you learn the martials arts...the more you realize there is always something new!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------For myself: I learned that I enjoy teaching and sharing of our arts with the students. We realize we do have an impact on everyone in class. (role model too).

...............Aloha