What have become of Kickboxing these days?

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
There seems to be Kickboxing schools opening up every where these days. But is this is what Kickboxing have become today? No wonder Ronda Rousey lost!!

Is this what Kickboxing become today? These fighters look like they just of the street!!

At least these one is bit better than the other two above!! But still looks amateur not pro.

No wonder MMA fighters with Kickboxing are not doing well unlike boxers.

Where are all the good Kickboxers these days.

But is this is what Kickboxing have become today with all those schools opening up every where these days?

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You can find bad fights everywhere. I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to find an awful boxing match online

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Most of the beginners are just aggressive fighters (It works at regional level). Or are (just) people willing to fight or looking for status or... It does not matter if it is Kickboxing or any other combat sport. In order to keep appreciating Kickboxing, I only watch GLORY, Verhoeven, Holzken, Saenchai... and the like. Do it. ;)

PS: I imagine most of the kickboxing (and combat sports) clubs these days are just for cool fitness. I hope we still have a lot of good instructors and fighters, and the 'fakes' are just diluting the overall quality (or the relative numbers)...

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mark Hunt.
images

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Regarding the videos posted.

Darko Milicic is a basketball player. He had a total of one kickboxing match and then quit. Most people don't look good in their first fight, especially when they are a dilettante coming from another sport.

"Punchin" Pat Nwamu is a legitimate boxing (IBA) and kickboxing (ISKA) champion. I don't care particularly for ISKA rules or how fights under those rules look, but Mr. Nwamu performed just fine in that fight under the applicable rules. I can guarantee that an untrained person off the street fighting Nr. Nwamyun under those rules would have had the stuffing knocked out of him. (I suspect most of the top kickboxing fighters in the world today are fighting under K1 rules, but I don't follow that scene enough to know for sure.)

Parobiec and Cannon are legitimate professionals. Not the most technical fighters - both seem more like sluggers/brawlers than technicians - but definitely not amateurs.

I would suggest that, since I assume you have yet to begin training in any martial art, you aren't really qualified to judge the skills of professional fighters.

There seems to be Kickboxing schools opening up every where these days.
I haven't noticed anything of the sort. I suspect you may be seeing cardio kickboxing classes, which are nothing like actual fight gyms.

No wonder Ronda Rousey lost!!

Rousey actually lost to two fighters in a row who were far superior in the kickboxing department. She never trained in kicking and her striking coach did a poor job of training her in boxing. That left her vulnerable when she encountered opponents who were powerful strikers and could hurt her before she got into grappling range.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Regarding the videos posted.

Darko Milicic is a basketball player. He had a total of one kickboxing match and then quit. Most people don't look good in their first fight, especially when they are a dilettante coming from another sport.

"Punchin" Pat Nwamu is a legitimate boxing (IBA) and kickboxing (ISKA) champion. I don't care particularly for ISKA rules or how fights under those rules look, but Mr. Nwamu performed just fine in that fight under the applicable rules. I can guarantee that an untrained person off the street fighting Nr. Nwamyun under those rules would have had the stuffing knocked out of him. (I suspect most of the top kickboxing fighters in the world today are fighting under K1 rules, but I don't follow that scene enough to know for sure.)

Parobiec and Cannon are legitimate professionals. Not the most technical fighters - both seem more like sluggers/brawlers than technicians - but definitely not amateurs.

I would suggest that, since I assume you have yet to begin training in any martial art, you aren't really qualified to judge the skills of professional fighters.

I haven't noticed anything of the sort. I suspect you may be seeing cardio kickboxing classes, which are nothing like actual fight gyms.

Rousey actually lost to two fighters in a row who were far superior in the kickboxing department. She never trained in kicking and her striking coach did a poor job of training her in boxing. That left her vulnerable when she encountered opponents who were powerful strikers and could hurt her before she got into grappling range.
Well this is the guy who complained about fighters fighting half naked so yeah wouldn't take to much of his opinion seriously lol

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well this is the guy who complained about fighters fighting half naked so yeah wouldn't take to much of his opinion seriously lol
At this point I only respond to moonhill99's threads for the benefit of anyone else who might be reading, rather than hope that he himself will actually pay attention to the information presented.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And real fights full contact do not look like drills or light sparring. Once you have to deal with punches that do damage that break your structure and that require a lot of energy. The rules of what is good technique changes.

Middo trains with us from time to time. And the dude is tough. This is a factor that lets him match guys with better technical skill. And in the world of full contact fighting it is a major factor.

Last edited:
OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yes that is what I was talking about pushing in kickboxing looking more like boxing and more brutal like these thow videos below.

And

I never like see those fighters than go in and hit than move out than go in and hit so on. It looks more like sport like and less cool looking for the viewer.

I like see those fighters that throw those long hard powerful punch and more looking like boxing.

Where the videos I posted looked less brutal and less like boxing.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes that is what I was talking about pushing in kickboxing looking more like boxing and more brutal like these thow videos below.

And

I never like see those fighters than go in and hit than move out than go in and hit so on. It looks more like sport like and less cool looking for the viewer.

I like see those fighters that throw those long hard powerful punch and more looking like boxing.

Where the videos I posted looked less brutal and less like boxing.
Umm I don't think the fighters trying to avoid getting knocked out care if they look cool or not. They're trying to win and take as little damage as possible. Your comments are showing a lot of ignorance to be honest.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
And real fights full contact do not look like drills or light sparring. Once you have to deal with punches that do damage that

drop bea I think thing is some fighters like to go in and hit than move out than go in and hit so on and other just go way in and stay in and fight aggressively.

So the fighters that fight more aggressively look more action looking than the fighters that are more tactical like Holly Holmes in and out type fighters.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
drop bea I think thing is some fighters like to go in and hit than move out than go in and hit so on and other just go way in and stay in and fight aggressively.

So the fighters that fight more aggressively look more action looking than the fighters that are more tactical like Holly Holmes in and out type fighters.
Okay do you actually train? Serious question do you? It's not about looking cool that is the most unimportant thing in martial arts

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Umm I don't think the fighters trying to avoid getting knocked out care if they look cool or not. They're trying to win and take as little damage as possible. Your comments are showing a lot of ignorance to be honest.

Kickboxer101 is it really common among most kickboxers to be more tactical than go in and stay in and fight aggressively.

Or some like to go in and others in and out type fighting.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Kickboxer101 also why does MMA and boxing look more cool looking than kickboxing?

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kickboxer101 is it really common among most kickboxers to be more tactical than go in and stay in and fight aggressively.

Or some like to go in and others in and out type fighting.
Yes I know but you didn't answer my question.

You're talking trash about fighters who have the guts to step saying they look like amateurs off the street so I'm asking what your experience is

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Okay do you actually train? Serious question do you? It's not about looking cool that is the most unimportant thing in martial arts
Why? Because I want to see some thing more like fight and fighting in a two feet by two feet room than spot fighting or looking for that one knockout!!

I want to see the fight more amped up.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yes I know but you didn't answer my question.

You're talking trash about fighters who have the guts to step saying they look like amateurs off the street so I'm asking what your experience is

Kickboxer101 May be better question is it more common for newbies to want to try to amped up the fight and go way in? And more experience Kickboxers will not do this?

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Why? Because I want to see some thing more like fight and fighting in a two feet by two feet room than spot fighting or looking for that one knockout!!

I want to see the fight more amped up.
So the answers no then okay.
Maybe you should go and spar then see if you're saying the same thing. Fighters who fight like brawlers more than likely will end up with brain damage when they're older that's why the smarter fighters have longer careers. Loads of fighters have ended up in comas or even dead because of taking to much.

But what do you care about that right? As long as you're entertained

Latest Discussions