What EXACTLY happened?

jeepee

White Belt
Reaction score
Yesterday, i was practicing how to block a hit from a small wooden stick with my Shaolin Kempo Karate teacher, and on the third trial, I suddenly hit the stick with my left forearm bone (instead of blocking my teacher's forerarm with the side of my hand...yeah I know, silly me...). After that hit, I felt great pain in my arm and seconds later i felt dizzy and needed to lie down on the floor. The master of the school, who also happened to be there just said "oh you were hit on an accupuncture point, just lie down, raise your legs and rub your arm. you'll feel better soon".

In fact, I felt much better after approx. 30 seconds. But I'm still wondering if all this was the effect of a real accupuncture point, or a tiny fracture of my bone? Right now, I can feel a small and red bump where I was hit, but it doesn't feel like something is broken...? I mean, I can move my arm but the tiny bump is still sensitive. By the way, the bump is as big as any usual bruises you can get from sparring.

Any light on this would be really appreciated. Has this ever happened to some of you?

Thanks!

Jeepee

almost a ghost

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Believe it or not, sticks and stones WILL break your bones.

I'm more curious on the proper way of getting hit with a stick. I really can't think of a proper way because if the guy wants to his you it's really going to sting.

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
well,
Here's the thing. If you feel it should be check out then do so.
I did not have my shoulder looked at after a BJJ seminar and I need surgery 6 months later because i just did not follow up with the pain and just pushed it aside as if It would go away. 2 surgerys later my arm is fine and 99%. for the 5, 10 15 $$ copay you have??? I would just have it checked out.

Kosho

OP
J

jeepee

White Belt
Reaction score
Almost a Ghost: Actually, what I meant is that I was learning to block someone's arm who's trying to hit me with a stick, not learning how to block the stick itself, but I accidentally hit the stick. Anyway, right now it just looks like any other bruises and I don't feel anymore pain so I don't think that I should be checked, but I'll stay alert about what my body tells me!

Jeepee

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, i was practicing how to block a hit from a small wooden stick with my Shaolin Kempo Karate teacher, and on the third trial, I suddenly hit the stick with my left forearm bone (instead of blocking my teacher's forerarm with the side of my hand...yeah I know, silly me...). After that hit, I felt great pain in my arm and seconds later i felt dizzy and needed to lie down on the floor. The master of the school, who also happened to be there just said "oh you were hit on an accupuncture point, just lie down, raise your legs and rub your arm. you'll feel better soon".

In fact, I felt much better after approx. 30 seconds. But I'm still wondering if all this was the effect of a real accupuncture point, or a tiny fracture of my bone? Right now, I can feel a small and red bump where I was hit, but it doesn't feel like something is broken...? I mean, I can move my arm but the tiny bump is still sensitive. By the way, the bump is as big as any usual bruises you can get from sparring.

Any light on this would be really appreciated. Has this ever happened to some of you?

Thanks!

Jeepee

Almost a Ghost: Actually, what I meant is that I was learning to block someone's arm who's trying to hit me with a stick, not learning how to block the stick itself, but I accidentally hit the stick. Anyway, right now it just looks like any other bruises and I don't feel anymore pain so I don't think that I should be checked, but I'll stay alert about what my body tells me!

Jeepee

Well, I wasn't there, so I can only go off of what you're saying here, but it sounds to me that you waited a bit too long before executing your defense. If that is the case, I'd suggest starting your defense sooner rather than later. :)

Mike

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
After that hit, I felt great pain in my arm and seconds later i felt dizzy and needed to lie down on the floor. The master of the school, who also happened to be there just said "oh you were hit on an accupuncture point, just lie down, raise your legs and rub your arm. you'll feel better soon".

In fact, I felt much better after approx. 30 seconds. But I'm still wondering if all this was the effect of a real accupuncture point, or a tiny fracture of my bone?

There are many nerve clusters on the arm. Some can have some devastating, but temporary, effects when they are in a certain way. What you are describing does sound a lot like a nerve cluster strike...however...please keep and mind that a nerve cluster strike or small fracture are not either/or, it is possible to have both occur to you.

I'll echo the advice of...if you think you should get it checked out, then do so.

There are many times that getting small stuff checked out (and addressed, if necessary) can prevent bigger stuff from happening down the road. So, please be careful, you've only got one body. Take care of it, and good luck with your training! :)

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
well,
Here's the thing. If you feel it should be check out then do so.
I did not have my shoulder looked at after a BJJ seminar and I need surgery 6 months later because i just did not follow up with the pain and just pushed it aside as if It would go away. 2 surgerys later my arm is fine and 99%. for the 5, 10 15 $$ copay you have??? I would just have it checked out.

Kosho
I did a similar thing...Have EVERY injury checked out the sooner the better.......don't wait....

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
While on the subject, can you pinpoint exactly where you were hit, and at what angle? I ask because you should incorporate that into your blocking and striking techniques for OTHER PEOPLE's arms.

Not that I advocate hurting your friends and all, but your mistake here has taught you something that should be very useful...

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bone bruises and impact/crush fractures can bring about infection and it sounds to me like you have a deep bruise, possibly a bone bruise. It's also possible to have a simple fracture (not displaced) in this situation - you could, however, displace the fracture with another poorly placed block, a fall or hard impact.

It won't hurt to have an x-ray.

What you described is how I felt when I broke my radius.

Latest Discussions