What do you want done with your body when you die? Be buried, burnt to ash ect?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just heard from Hoshin not fifteen minutes ago, that Van Canna, a tenth Dan in Uechi-ryu Karate, just died of Covid. He was such a good man. Had a profound influence on me when I was a white belt and throughout my entire career.

I'll spend a great part of the day talking to folks back home about him.

Death takes us all eventually. Sometimes you just have to talk about it.
There’s something profound and soulful about losing folks who had deep impact on our lives.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
discussing death is part of understanding life.
Can you

- pick up human bone in rotten coffin?
- sleep in grave yard by yourself?
- help dying cancer patients in hospital?
- pick up human flesh from the ground in car accident?

Not everybody can handle environment with too much negative energy.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can you

- pick up human flesh from the ground in a car accident?

Not everybody can handle environment with negative energy.
There is a very big difference between picking up a human bone from a rotting corpse, and asking on a forum what your plans are after death. Plus on here, you see the title and if you don't think you can handle it, you move on. The same way if I saw a video was titled 'guy burning alive' I probably wouldn't click on it. You seem to always take these things to the extreme.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Can you

I have zero idea what theses have to do with the topic.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you

None of those are the same as discussing death. Some of them aren’t in any way close to discussing death. I don’t know what you’re even in about now.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
None of those are the same as discussing death. Some of them aren’t in any way close to discussing death. I don’t know what you’re even in about now.
I interpreted it as him saying he doesn't like too much negative energy. Don't see what the big deal is, myself.

Don't get me wrong. I do see a clear difference between discussing our own eventual demise and things like picking a bone out of a coffin. (yuck).

My brother was killed in an auto accident a few years ago. His car was crushed by a semi. A few days after that, I was asked to go and retrieve any personal effects from his car. It was in a junk yard, and the entire driver's side of the vehicle was completely crushed. Only thing I actually found (outside of some papers I took out of the glove box) was his collection of CDs, but I'll never forget the smell of it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I interpreted it as him saying he doesn't like too much negative energy. Don't see what the big deal is, myself.

Don't get me wrong. I do see a clear difference between discussing our own eventual demise and things like picking a bone out of a coffin. (yuck).

My brother was killed in an auto accident a few years ago. His car was crushed by a semi. A few days after that, I was asked to go and retrieve any personal effects from his car. It was in a junk yard, and the entire driver's side of the vehicle was completely crushed. Only thing I actually found (outside of some papers I took out of the glove box) was his collection of CDs, but I'll never forget the smell of it.
That cannot have been a good experience, man. Sorry you had to go through that.

I agree with him that too much negative isn't good. I just don't see much negative going on in this thread.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I'm sorry for your loss, Steve.

OP
C

Chrisinmd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I just have to ask this question.

There are so many happy discussion subjects, why are we discussing sad subject like this?

Sad subject can make you sad. Sad motion can weaken your immunity system. Weak immunity system can cause cancer. Cancer can cause your death.

I asked this question. I dont dwell on death and I am not looking forward to dying. I try to be happy as much as possible. But that dosent mean you can plan or discuss serious issues. The subject of death came up in a conversation and I was simply asking what others thoughts were because I was not sure what I would do

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The subject of death came up in a conversation and I was simply asking what others thoughts were because I was not sure what I would do.
The subject of "body burning" came up in this thread and I am not sure what I will do.

When your (general YOU) body is burning,

- What temperature do you want?
- Do you want to open your eyes so you can see the fire?
- Which part of your body do you want to be burned first, head, or feet?
- What kind of music do you want to listen?
- Do you want to burn your entire body, or just the body and save your skull?
- What clothes do you want to wear?
- Do you want to have a pearl in your mouth (Chinese traditional)?

It's so much fun to discuss "body burning".

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I asked this question. I dont dwell on death and I am not looking forward to dying. I try to be happy as much as possible. But that dosent mean you can plan or discuss serious issues. The subject of death came up in a conversation and I was simply asking what others thoughts were because I was not sure what I would do
Are you closer to having an answer?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The subject of "body burning" came up in this thread and I am not sure what I will do.

Are you determined to turn this into the kind of negative topic you accused it of being?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm sorry for your loss, Steve.
Thanks. But to be clear, my point in bringing it up is that Kung Fu Wang is making a good point, I think. I mean, I don't think that it's a point that relates directly to this thread because this is a thought exercise about how we want to be buried, which isn't really that sad for most people.

But, I do agree with him that there are things we see or experience that we will never forget that can be pretty sad, and it's probably not all that healthy to talk about these things all the time.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

Let's see. If I'm going to burn to death, I think I'd want to go fast, because it seems like it would be an excruciating way to die.

- What temperature do you want? Hot! Hotter the better. Kill me quickly.

- Do you want to open your eyes so you can see the fire? Last thing on my mind. I'm pretty sure I won't have much control over that.
- Which part of your body do you want to be burned first, head, or feet? All of it at once. But if it's going one direction, I'd say head first.

- Do you want to burn your entire body, or just the body and save your skull? Doesn't matter to me. What happens to my body after I die is more for my family than for me.

- What clothes do you want to wear? Something that's good for wicking sweat.

- Do you want to have a pearl in your mouth (Chinese traditional)? Nope.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks. But to be clear, my point in bringing it up is that Kung Fu Wang is making a good point, I think. I mean, I don't think that it's a point that relates directly to this thread because this is a thought exercise about how we want to be buried, which isn't really that sad for most people.

But, I do agree with him that there are things we see or experience that we will never forget that can be pretty sad, and it's probably not all that healthy to talk about these things all the time.
I agree, not all the time. But it is proven to be healthy to talk about them on occasion. I do think who a person confides in with things like this is pertinent. Close friends, family, other impacted, and such.

OP
C

Chrisinmd

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Well I am going to already be dead when I am burned for creamation so I dont think any of your questions matter.

Latest Discussions