What do you want done with your body when you die? Be buried, burnt to ash ect?

OP
C

Chrisinmd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Another option I would like would be to cyronically frozen and infused with chemicals that will prevent crystallization of my cells, with the hope of restoration in the future. I have felt this way since the early 2000s. I would rather die, holding on to small hope that there is a chance to come back. I don't want to die.

There is no downside in my opinion. If it dosent work your no worse off then anyone else. Your still just dead. There may be a 99.9999 percent chance you never get brought back but ill take that .000001 percent chance of waking up a thousand years from now!

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Another option I would like would be to cyronically frozen and infused with chemicals that will prevent crystallization of my cells, with the hope of restoration in the future. I have felt this way since the early 2000s. I would rather die, holding on to small hope that there is a chance to come back. I don't want to die.

There is no downside in my opinion. If it dosent work your no worse off then anyone else. Your still just dead. There may be a 99.9999 percent chance you never get brought back but ill take that .000001 percent chance of waking up a thousand years from now!
There's a huge downside to me with this. There's not enough known about the soul, meaning that there's a chance your soul will be trapped there (if souls exist), or your brain will be going, and you'll just be stuck for hundreds of years in your own mind, in permanent isolation. However small the chance of that is, it's not something I'd want to risk.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a huge downside to me with this. There's not enough known about the soul, meaning that there's a chance your soul will be trapped there (if souls exist), or your brain will be going, and you'll just be stuck for hundreds of years in your own mind, in permanent isolation. However small the chance of that is, it's not something I'd want to risk.
Neither of those chances really concern me much. Given what we know of the brain, you'd probably start hallucinating pretty quickly, and wouldn't be aware you were still just trapped in your brain. And I have no idea what would happen to a soul (if they exist) if I wasn't frozen, so can't really say there's any better or worse option either way.

I can see the allure of this IF dying from some disease while otherwise healthy. By that I mean that if the disease were taken away (like cancer) I'd be healthy enough to enjoy quite a few years of good life. If I'm dying because I'm old as heck, I'm not sure I see the value in coming back later to live just a few more years.

OP
C

Chrisinmd

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Not a big risk as far as im concerned. Im not religious so I dont really believe in the soul anyway. Once we are dead I just think the lights go out so to speak..

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not a big risk as far as im concerned. Im not religious so I dont really believe in the soul anyway. Once we are dead I just think the lights go out so to speak..
Not a big risk, no. But there is a risk of it. And it's one of those things where, whether or not you believe in it, it could happen. For instance, I don't believe that after death we all become spirits, but I acknowledge the small risk that it will happen.

Neither of those chances really concern me much. Given what we know of the brain, you'd probably start hallucinating pretty quickly, and wouldn't be aware you were still just trapped in your brain. And I have no idea what would happen to a soul (if they exist) if I wasn't frozen, so can't really say there's any better or worse option either way.

I can see the allure of this IF dying from some disease while otherwise healthy. By that I mean that if the disease were taken away (like cancer) I'd be healthy enough to enjoy quite a few years of good life. If I'm dying because I'm old as heck, I'm not sure I see the value in coming back later to live just a few more years.
With solitary confinement that doesn't happen..that would only happen if there was also sensory deprivation (I'm assuming that happens with cryogenic freezing)..but there's no long-term info on what effect sensory deprivation has. So we don't know if that would continue long-term, or if at a point thta brain eventually accepts the deprivation or uses a different method of coping.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a big risk, no. But there is a risk of it. And it's one of those things where, whether or not you believe in it, it could happen. For instance, I don't believe that after death we all become spirits, but I acknowledge the small risk that it will happen.
Since we don't know what would happen without freezing, it seems the risk it on both sides of this. The worse outcome could be where the body isn't frozen.

With solitary confinement that doesn't happen..that would only happen if there was also sensory deprivation (I'm assuming that happens with cryogenic freezing)..but there's no long-term info on what effect sensory deprivation has. So we don't know if that would continue long-term, or if at a point thta brain eventually accepts the deprivation or uses a different method of coping.
Agreed. But it seems too small a risk (probability-wise) to worry me.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Neither of those chances really concern me much. Given what we know of the brain, you'd probably start hallucinating pretty quickly, and wouldn't be aware you were still just trapped in your brain.

You mean it would be the sixties all over again again?

Yay!

Latest Discussions