What do you guys think about Kyokushinkai

pnoy_kickfighter

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello fellow martial artists

I need to know everybody's thoughts, opinions, info about Kyokushinkai Karate. I will appreciate it.

Thank you

MMAfighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
Great style, its about one of the only few TMA's MMA guys actually respect, they like to say things like, "BJJ, wrestling, muay thai, sambo, ect are the best TMA's suck" which is not true, i mean 80% of fights the grappler will crush the striker but it doesn't mean that its better

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, its main "feature" is its knockdown fighting

Full contact, no pads, no punching the face.

It is a little kick heavy because of this, but not to the extent of TKD.

They also allow leg kicks, and the object is, well, to knock the other guy down.

Of course there is also semi-knockdown, which uses some light padding ;)

They are tough, one of the better known fighters was Andy Hug (RIP) who did very well in K-1 fighting.

vincehardy3

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Kyokushinkai is a pretty good system. My instructor is primarily a kung-fu stylist, but he holds black belt ranking in this system. This is in response to the previous comment concerning "strikers & MMAs, and who would win in combat." Personally, I don't see the hype about MMAs. From what I have seen MMAs in the UFC aren't true MMAs in the sense. They are just combining wrestling with kicks, punches, elbows, and knees for finishing techniques. A true MMA is something like Luihebafa (sp)--this system blends the three internal arts of Bagua, Xingyi, and Taiqi. Of course striking and grappling have their shortcomings as well as strong points. The system that I study combines the three internal arts as well as shuajaio (sp), and grappling. Our system focuses on making the practitioner a well rounded fighter. I doubt that a grappler will do well against multiple attackers, but a striker will. I doubt that a striker will do good in groundfighting, but a grappler will. I don't give one system or method more credibility than another because it depends on the person, and not the system/method of defense. Plus, it depends on whose rules you are playing by. I went up against a Taiqi person that had good technique with his push-hands--that was his game. But, when we switched up to spar he couldn't handle it--he had no offense or defense. Push-hands isn't a fighting method--it is a sensitivity drill. He found out quickly that his push-hands was ineffective when played against another set of rules.

I apologize for the rambling, and I'm not trying to put down other systems. But, the point is that there is no such thing as one method being better than another. It totally depends on the person behind the system.

Vince

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tough training, which always helps produce tough fighters. If you can handle it--go for it!

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While I may not agree with their teaching philosophies, I'll certainly gladly admit that their methods do work, even if it's not my cup of coffee.

I have a great deal of respect for Mas Oyama.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
MMAfighter said:
Great style, its about one of the only few TMA's MMA guys actually respect, they like to say things like, "BJJ, wrestling, muay thai, sambo, ect are the best TMA's suck" which is not true, i mean 80% of fights the grappler will crush the striker but it doesn't mean that its better
They give KK props right up until they learn it has Katas. Then they stroke out.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
pnoy_kickfighter said:
Hello fellow martial artists

I need to know everybody's thoughts, opinions, info about Kyokushinkai Karate. I will appreciate it.

Thank you

A good system...if you can handle it. Not for the faint of heart.

One of the old timers here in town, Tim Hosey, is a Kyokushin man...one of the toughest men I've ever met. Nice guy, too. Through him I came to respect the system and its practitioners.

Regards,

Steve

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Very tough guys, lots of full contact in there style. They have the toughtest test for Black Belts who want to go higher. The 100 man test two days fighting other Black Belts.

Mas Oyama will be listed as one of the greatest martial artists around. How many guys can face a Bull and kill-it............Aloha

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I jut watched "Fighting Black Kings" and damn! those guys are tough!

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Good system, creates some very well conditioned strikers when taught properly

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
done a couple tournaments myself, got the chance to fight a champ from Japan, it was a great experience, and It really is a great art. The one thing I noticed bad is the willingness most of them have to take a hit, I busted up a few guys because they weren't really trying to defend a lot, mostly focused on attacking, even if they take a few shots.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
pnoy_kickfighter said:
is Kyokishinkai good for self defense
Just as with almost any martial art, it depends on the practitioner and the teacher.

Most styles of martial arts (including Kyokushin) are perfectly good for self-defense purposes, but only if the teacher does his part, imparting good instruction, and if the student does his part to learn.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, If you get a chance to see some of the video's on Kyokushinkai sparring tournaments? You will see how tough these guys are!

I got two of them....whew...wouldn't want to face them.....Aloha

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, If you get a chance to see some of the video's on Kyokushinkai sparring tournaments? You will see how tough these guys are!

I got two of them....whew...wouldn't want to face them.....Aloha
"Fighting Black Kings" is a 1976 documentary on the 1st Kyokushinkai world open tournament... But even tougher than the tournament footage is the scenes of a black belt test. That made the tournament look like happy fun time.

Also that movie qualifies Mas Oyama for having a Bacon Number of 3. (3 degrees of seperation from Kevin Bacon).

Drag'n

Green Belt
Reaction score
I trained in kyokushin here in Japan for about a year. I did another year in Aussie.I have alot of respect for kyokushin fighters. They're tough as nails.
But as a system I feel it has too many flaws.Particularly the lack of head punches and grabbing in tournaments can create some bad habbits.Particularly here in Japan Kyokushin dojos are everywhere and mostly very tournament oriented. In my opinion its glory days as "the strongest Karate" are over. But if you can find a dojo that still incorporates more of the original self defence material its a great place to start.
The style I do now, Daidojuku, broke away from the kyokushin org. back in the 80's to incorporate kickboxing, judo and jujutsu, which I find more practical.We still use Kyokushin rules in our tournaments for white, blue and yellow belts.
I think the kyokushin style of fighting is great for building fighting spirit. You really learn how to both take and dish out serious punishment.Kyokushin fighters who expand on their ranges are really tough opponents.

Shibumi

White Belt
Reaction score
I agree that in Kyokushin there is sometimes too little emphasis on defense- "if his fist is in your ribs, then there is something open he isn't guarding"- and the no hand techniques to the head in competition takes away a huge part of your otherwise available arsenal, but as we don't use headgear or gloves it is only practical to keep from sending someone to the hospital every round. You can kick to the head though, although I could never pull it off without setting it up first unless my opponent just got tired or otherwise dropped his hands. However, two of my instructors can defend a full on assault and never allow you to hit a target, so we are pretty heavy into the blocks as well as offensive techniques- actually all the blocks transition into an attack one way or another pretty easily. I quit training for competition, it is different than "normal" training and I would hate to get attacked "in the street" and forget to hit the guy in the head! By the way, the head of my school, as well as most of his predecessors in lineage to Oyama all studied jiu-jitsu as well, and he has recomended his students learn at least some jiu-jitsu at around brown belt.

Latest Discussions