What do you do to set people up? Favorite set ups?

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
nice combos! i like! i especially love the ol' backfist-which is kindof like and iainuki or sworddraw....

also about this

Sometimes I like getting up close and sweeping them with my front leg real fast when they don't know whats coming. ;)

i like that too, although i usually use the back leg for exrtapower. using front leg though, you gots to be badass explosive! pretty cool. the only thing i hate about such sweeps is when the person doesnt go down and it seems like you just pulled a really spastic aggressive lowkick on them...ever happened? ive had that happen at least 2 times that i can distincly remember and im sure there were some others. it's always good if you can hold onto the upperbody and help the sweep along, sortof like judo sweeps.- deashibarai for example-where actually you time it when the footing is loose or they're taking a step sortof in midair.

of course it looks and feels hotshoty cool when you floor someone with one single sweeping kick-or kicking sweep.

j

SJON

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It's been a while since I did sport sparring, but when I did I tended to use a right-foot-forward stance the whole time. Given that most people tend to default to a left stance even if they switch out of it a lot, this tends to encourage them to go for those big rear foot shots, for which you have honed two or three devastating counters to a razor edge ...

For self-defence, I find the best set-up is to beat him around the head several times using the hands, elbows or head. Sets him up great for falling over :).

Latest Discussions