Which karate school in Sunnyvale Bay area CA

Rach

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I have a wonderful seven year old son. He has been going to karate classes for past 3 months. It seems now that he wants to continue and work towards his black belt. The school he goes to right now is kind of expensive and very commercialized. Now that he seriously wants to learn karate (I have no knowledge of karate except for the fact that I believe it can be an important life skill and obviously I love martial arts), I really need to find out which school to go to. Learning karate is going to be about 5-6 years of commitment of time and money (Money wise at the current school it is going to be about $8000-10000 commitment). So I want to make sure my son goes to a school where he can learn good self defense techniques and self discipline techniques.
I joined this forum specifically to learn from the wisdom of other learned members. Please advice me which form of karate (shotokan or kenpo) is a good base to start with. I tried to read on internet and have become more confused than ever. Also, if u know of any good school in Sunnyvale area (Cupertino, Sunnyvale, Los Altos), please advice.

Thanks,
Rach

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum we have alot of knowedgable people here, maybe tell us what you are really wanting for a seven year old that the school he is going to does not provide. What I mean there is only so much onje can teach a seven year old with SD type principles. Can you give mare info aabout the current school.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello Rach,

The style of Karate really isn't the biggest determinant, as to where he should train. There are many, many excellent styles of Karate out there. Some may fit certain individuals better than others, but for the most part, the instructors within the system are going to be a better criteria for choosing a school.

Shotokan, Shito Ryu, Wado Ryu, Goju Ryu, Shuri Ryu, Isshin Ryu, Shorin Ryu, Uechi Ryu, etc., can all be good for your son, as long as the instructors are doing a good job of teaching, and can continue to improve the individual from within.

The best way, is to visit the schools themselves, and watch the classes, and see what's going on. Since you already have a good bit of experience in these matters, you should let your own eyes and gut feelings make the decision for you. Also, discuss things with your son after he's had a chance to try some classes at various dojos. If he's happy at a particular school, and if you approve, then by all means, take the plunge.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is a kung fu school in Sunnyvale, the head instructor's name is Kwok Wing Lam. He has been training and teaching for several decades and is quite good, and my teacher in San Francisco has a lot of respect for him. He teaches Hung Gar style, Northern Shaolin style, Wing Chun style, and Tai Chi, maybe some others as well. It is fairly common for teachers of Chinese martial arts to teach more than one system.

I don't know how much he charges, but I think it would be a good choice, if you and your son are interested in Traditional Kung Fu.

His website is WLE.com, and he has a martial arts supply business where he sells a lot of training implements for kung fu, such as weapons, uniforms, books, etc., as well as having written some books and produced some videos.

There is a school that teaches Tracy Kenpo in San Jose, their website is http://www.sanjosekenpo.com/, the teacher's name is Ted Sumner

ANother school in Santa Clara teaches Parker Kenpo, the teacher's name is John Sepulveda. I don't know his contact info, however.

I have no idea what kind of programs these teachers have for children as young as your son, but otherwise I think any of them would probably be a good choice. I myself am hoping to train with Mr. Sumner in San Jose in the near future.

I don't have any familiarity with any other teachers in that area. Hope this helps!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I joined this forum specifically to learn from the wisdom of other learned members. Please advice me which form of karate (shotokan or kenpo) is a good base to start with. I tried to read on internet and have become more confused than ever. Also, if u know of any good school in Sunnyvale area (Cupertino, Sunnyvale, Los Altos), please advice.

Shotokan is a basic form of Japanese Karate, and is the most common form of true Karate (as opposed to "Korean Karate," that is, Tae Kwon Do) in the world. It is useful for self-defense and will likely emphasize self-discipline. The term Kenpo is used quite broadly but probably means Ed Parker's Americanized version of Southern Chinese Kung Fu.

The instructor makes much more of a difference than the art. So, you'll need to visit some schools and see what looks like a good environment to you. As suggested, don't rule out Kung Fu and other arts. At his age, Judo and (kick)boxing are also good choices.

Kwan Jang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was born and raised in that area and can recommend several good schools. It really depends on what you are looking for. If you are a bit more specific with what you are trying to accomplish/get out of the training long term, perhaps I can steer you the right way. BTW, the cost you mentioned is pretty standard for that area I'm afraid.

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi, I've PM'd some recommendations to Rach (I live in Sunnyvale and have lived in Sunnyvale and Palo Alto for over 40 years).

FYI, San Jose Kenpo is adults only.
John Sepulveda moved out of state, but has left his school in Santa Clara in capable hands. They are the top recommendation for Kenpo for kids in the Santa Clara area today.

There are many good options in Sunnyvale. Too many to choose from in fact.

Rach: good luck in your efforts to find a school for your child. Keep us posted on your progress.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi, I've PM'd some recommendations to Rach (I live in Sunnyvale and have lived in Sunnyvale and Palo Alto for over 40 years).

FYI, San Jose Kenpo is adults only.
John Sepulveda moved out of state, but has left his school in Santa Clara in capable hands. They are the top recommendation for Kenpo for kids in the Santa Clara area today.

There are many good options in Sunnyvale. Too many to choose from in fact.

Rach: good luck in your efforts to find a school for your child. Keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks for the update.

silatsera

White Belt
Reaction score
ANother school in Santa Clara teaches Parker Kenpo, the teacher's name is John Sepulveda.

+1,000

Thank us later.

Latest Discussions