All weight is underside
Reaction score
Somehow, much of that sounds like breakdancing terms. :D

latest

Its how I pick up extra cash to get the kids through college :D

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Got my first fight coming up so just drilling my game plan, doing my conditioning and sparring.

I am experimenting having an east/west training approach. Keeping my forms, qi gong/tendon stuff and drills but having the majority of my training been conditioning and sparring and going over my game plan. Doing some flow sparring to get my movement smooth and practice targeting.

Reactions: KPM

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Got my first fight coming up so just drilling my game plan, doing my conditioning and sparring.

I am experimenting having an east/west training approach. Keeping my forms, qi gong/tendon stuff and drills but having the majority of my training been conditioning and sparring and going over my game plan. Doing some flow sparring to get my movement smooth and practice targeting.

Shark tank. Spar rounds with a fresh guy each minute.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yesterday I finally got myself back in the game and did all three empty hand forms twice. :) Soon I will be able to do the dummy form too, once I get my dummy finished. I would prefer to do every form I know 2 times per day, then maybe do some freelance playing on the dummy for a couple boxing-length rounds.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No martial arts practice today - researching for some non-MA seminars I'm delivering for a client next week. Though I did sneak in some research on MA topics, too (looking at some teaching points on bridging in some BJJ videos, looking for some transitions in bo work I can adapt to a jo sequence I'm working on).

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
As I have said on other threads, I am not sure if I should bother practicing Biu Jee because I am in a new Wing Chun lineage, and the Sifu has not shown me that form yet...because according to the standards of their lineage, I am not there yet. However, he has said I can work on the first two forms and the dummy. I just need to see what the differences are.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Worked shoulder fakes and left hooks today. Then thought about them for a bit, and added head fakes.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
4:30: Weights (Back)
5:30: Heavy Bag Work
6:00: Stretching and Cardio
6:15: Shaolin Drills
6:30: Shaolin Forms
7:00: Stretching and Cardio
7:15: Wing Chun Drills
8:15: Pad and Heavy Bag Work
9:00: Bat Jam Do Practice
9:30: Huge Dinner :)

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Kettlebells: simple and sinister.

Jiu Jitsu drills, mainly kneebars and ashi garami positional switching, and submissions therefrom.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kettlebells: simple and sinister.

Jiu Jitsu drills, mainly kneebars and ashi garami positional switching, and submissions therefrom.
I've recently gotten into kettlebells (having wanted to do so for a while, and lacking the round tuit). I really like the way the exercises recruit core muscles, especially the mid and upper back.

On a different note, I practiced my golf swing yesterday. First time I've swung a club in a year (badly torn muscle in my forearm early last year), and I was pleased to find I've forgotten some of my worst faults, and my swing was actually more consistent (not saying much). But I do feel the stiffness in my back from even those fairly easy swings I took. I bring golf up in a MA forum because I find myself working through the body mechanics like a throw, with a tiny bit of strike mechanics. I'm not sure how valuable that is to my golf game, but I think the practice is useful for improving my balance in motion in MA.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've recently gotten into kettlebells (having wanted to do so for a while, and lacking the round tuit). I really like the way the exercises recruit core muscles, especially the mid and upper back.

On a different note, I practiced my golf swing yesterday. First time I've swung a club in a year (badly torn muscle in my forearm early last year), and I was pleased to find I've forgotten some of my worst faults, and my swing was actually more consistent (not saying much). But I do feel the stiffness in my back from even those fairly easy swings I took. I bring golf up in a MA forum because I find myself working through the body mechanics like a throw, with a tiny bit of strike mechanics. I'm not sure how valuable that is to my golf game, but I think the practice is useful for improving my balance in motion in MA.
Another thing I like is using it to build functional punching strength. Try taking a 10lbs kettlebell and slowly extending your arm. Then do the same with a 10lbs dumbbell. It feels A LOT different.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another thing I like is using it to build functional punching strength. Try taking a 10lbs kettlebell and slowly extending your arm. Then do the same with a 10lbs dumbbell. It feels A LOT different.
Oh, definitely. I feel like a wimp when I do my kettlebell workouts, because the weights are so much lower than what I could do with a dumbbell workout. There's so much isolation in most dumbbell exercises to target larger muscles, that the support muscles don't get much attention. The kettlebell seems to recruit those support muscles much more, and those are at least as important.

(Now if only there was a workout that could deal with the arthritis in my thumb....grumble...)

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Getting ready to practice shoveling in an hour or two.

I'm going to get my fill of it being we've got what appears to be 8 inches of it, and my father had rotator cuff repair surgery yesterday. So... my house, his house, and his garage (business). Sure hope that snowblower works. Quite often it takes more effort to get it running and keep it running that it does to just shovel.

Why can't I be like my brother and act like I'm too busy?

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Today I woke up early even though my job starts later.

I did 22 Minutes Hard Corp, Chum Kiu, Biu Jee, and an 11-minute run of Sil Lum Tao.

Latest Discussions