Wing Chun and You

ella_guru

White Belt
Reaction score
Now I know the mind has a tendency to draw parallels to everything else it knows, and I guess that's kind of what prompted this thread (that and I know people are on this forum just pretty shy to post I guess?)

I'm curious how Wing Chun fits into your life. Someone in my Kwoon is a dishwasher so he just goes into horse stance why at work to protect his back and build up his stamina.

For me, I don't get to train quite as much as I want. I'd like to do an hour or two every day, but I just do SLT everyday and then go to the Kwoon a couple times a week for two hours. That being said, I'm a professional musician and it really has changed that for me. While I'm used to engaging in long periods of mental work, the physical thing is an interesting component. I find now when I go to perform it's a lot less nerve wrecking, because basically...

When sparring you are trying to execute what you have practiced, while someone else tries to punch you.

When performing you are just trying to executed what you have practiced.

Now that's a bit of an oversimplification but since starting Wing Chun performing has been a lot easier because hey, at least you are (mostly) guaranteed they aren't going to strike you while you are playing.

So I'm glad for this, and glad to be training the body alongside my mind. I also find myself talking to different kinds of people, lots of MMA guys and just talk about combat, fluidity of motion, east / west ideas and how it all came to be, stuff like that. Since I read fairly often it has also opened up a whole new section of the bookstore for me to peruse hah.

So what are the pros/cons/discoveries of your Wing Chun journey in relation to the other facets of your life?

BloodMoney

Green Belt
Reaction score
Im a musician as well man, and yep it can help in several ways. Confidence, yep. Also being relaxed. When I was a drummer (am a guitarist now) it was more literal, more physical (ie: relaxing my body, using coordination and reflexes id built up etc) but now days more mental.

I also use Chun in other martial arts ;) BJJ for one, I use some of the principles and the odd mechanical element (like immovable elbow, kinda helps when someones arm barring you) when grappling. Also the mindset (be relaxed, use geometry, stay tight to your opponent, smother them etc) is very similar and useful.

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Wing Tzun fits into my life in varying ways, 1. I was a dishwasher, and now a cook, so I do practice my IRAS during my job as much as I can. When doing yard work, pulling vines and such, my adduction stepping is helpful, just movement in general has become a lot more economical.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Wing chun IS my life... lol

You do start to notice that you open doors using palm strikes. Or when you're on the tube (train) you sit on stance. Even standing at bus stops you start to do huen saos in mid air

Or maybe thats just me.....

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm pretty sad too , when the missus and I are at the supermarket doing the weekly shopping , I always use a pivot when pushing the shopping trolley around a corner.

Mind you , when you get a trolley with a dodgy wheel , sometimes its the only way to get the damn thing to go where you want it to go.

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score

You do start to notice that you open doors using palm strikes. Or when you're on the tube (train) you sit on stance. Even standing at bus stops you start to do huen saos in mid air

nope thats not just you mate.........its not my life but i try to apply my techniques and stance and moves whenever i,m doing anything in my normal daily routines.
matsu

Colibri

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Hahahahaha it's not just you! I get looks when I go from a tan sau-huen sao-lower palm strike when i'm standing still.

I bong sau closing doors :p

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
the girls at work are just so used to me doing my "funny hand shape thingys" in quieter areas at work but if someone new starts they think i,m quite the loon!
i gave up punching bong-ing elbowing doors shut etc when i cracked someone coming thru the other side on the side of their head..... took some explaining....oops

matsu

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
the girls at work are just so used to me doing my "funny hand shape thingys" in quieter areas at work but if someone new starts they think i,m quite the loon!
i gave up punching bong-ing elbowing doors shut etc when i cracked someone coming thru the other side on the side of their head..... took some explaining....oops

matsu

Not your fault...they should have got their wu sau up

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was saddling my horse the other day and she decided to swing her head around toward me (she wasn't in the mood for a ride I guess).....I did a bong sau to her neck.....saved me from getting my head cracked in.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was saddling my horse the other day and she decided to swing her head around toward me (she wasn't in the mood for a ride I guess).....I did a bong sau to her neck.....saved me from getting my head cracked in.

Did she go into a horse stance when she did that ?

Latest Discussions