What defines a sport? Is fishing a sport? How about video game tournaments?

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
i think you are not including the prep before the race. actually these Formula 1 drivers have a rigorous fitness programm.
you have to be fit to sit in the cockpit and have razor reactions.

Again, I'm not saying it's not a sport. Might be different for Formula 1, but you have to really question the claims of required athleticism if 90 year olds are able to compete with - let alone defeat - men in their 20's. And we haven't even addressed the fact that women are now in NASCAR. Other sports require men and women to compete separately. The NASCAR allows them both to compete together. Which is a clear indicator that, unlike basketball and football, men do not have an inherent physical advantage over women in NASCAR. That alone calls into question the claimed required physical athleticism of NASCAR drivers.

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Again, I'm not saying it's not a sport. Might be different for Formula 1, but you have to really question the claims of required athleticism if 90 year olds are able to compete with - let alone defeat - men in their 20's. And we haven't even addressed the fact that women are now in NASCAR. Other sports require men and women to compete separately. The NASCAR allows them both to compete together. Which is a clear indicator that, unlike basketball and football, men do not have an inherent physical advantage over women in NASCAR. That alone calls into question the claimed required physical athleticism of NASCAR drivers.
yeah i understand to a point but i think i am more worried about Transgender athletes in sports :D

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Well I did say that if one were more of the following determines the outcome of the game, then it's a sport: speed of movement, accuracy of movement, timing of movement, and exertion of movement. Of course, no definition of "sport" is going to be perfect, because any possible definition that one can come up with will either include things that are generally not considered sports or exclude things that are. I'd rather err on the side of the former. So I'm fully aware that Twister is going to meet my definition of sport, and I'm okay with that.

What you're quoting isn't me trying to insinuate that auto racing is not a sport. I'm simply challenging the claim got auto racing is "physically demanding," as though it requires the same level as athleticism as as, say, basketball or hockey; despite the claims that NASCAR fans make.
No definition of anything is perfect, but if your definition of sport includes Twister, your definition is broken. :)

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
In your opinion what defines a sport? Is fishing a sport? How about video game tournaments?
Out of the many definitions given for the word "sport" in the Merriam Webster dictionary, I would say that both fishing and video game tournaments could be sports if you view them as forms of recreation, since recreation was one of the definitions given.

GrahamThomas

White Belt
Reaction score
A sport is a physical or mental activity that is competitive and requires training, and dedication. It’s performed often in a structured setting with rules and regulations.

GrahamThomas

White Belt
Reaction score
A sport is a physical or mental activity that is competitive and requires training, and dedication. It’s performed often in a structured setting with rules and regulations.
Fishing, for example, is considered a sport as it requires physical exertion, skill, and strategy, and is often competitive. Video game tournaments, while they may require skill and strategy, are not considered sports as they don't involve physical exertion. However, with the rise of IT Gadgets and platforms, esports has been gaining more recognition as a sport, with much information about tournaments and professional players.

Last edited by a moderator:

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I guess I consider something a sport when it's a competition. You going out on the lake to go relax and catch fish ain't a sport. But you joining a fishing competition kinda sounds like a sport? Or you could just call it a fishing tournament. Well whether you consider it a sport or not sounds subjective and can be applied to a lot of activities.

halie18

White Belt
Reaction score
For me, a sport is something that involves physical activity and competition. That being said, I also enjoy playing indoor games like ping-pong and chess, which may not be considered traditional sports by some. As for fishing, I think it can be a sport if it's done competitively, but if it's just for leisure, then it's more of a hobby.
Video game tournaments are an interesting case because they require mental dexterity and strategy, but not necessarily physical exertion. Personally, I enjoy watching and playing video games, but I wouldn't consider them sports in the traditional sense.

Speaking of ping-pong, have you ever tried playing it competitively? I recently read some interesting tricks here One moment, please...
It's a fun and challenging sport that requires quick reflexes and good hand-eye coordination.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Funny litte story: A friend of mine once said that he plays darts and bowls better when he's drunk. Basically, if a game can be safely played by people who are drunk, it's not a sport. Of course, this definition is too funny to be seriously adopted, although one can argue that it does make some logical sense.
Let's go with this.

- Combat sports. Inherently dangerous. But if you're intoxicated, your slow responses will render you unable to protect yourself. And there have been many boxing matches over the years where exactly this has happened.
- Auto racing. Inherently dangerous. So is drunk driving. Put them together, and what have you got?
- Team sports. Imagine a bunch of intoxicated basketball players on the court, or hockey players on the ice. There's gonna be some broken bones.
- Board games. What's the worst that could happen? Some drunk guy knocks over the pieces and they fall on you?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
For me, a sport is something that involves physical activity and competition. That being said, I also enjoy playing indoor games like ping-pong and chess, which may not be considered traditional sports by some. As for fishing, I think it can be a sport if it's done competitively, but if it's just for leisure, then it's more of a hobby.
Video game tournaments are an interesting case because they require mental dexterity and strategy, but not necessarily physical exertion. Personally, I enjoy watching and playing video games, but I wouldn't consider them sports in the traditional sense.

Speaking of ping-pong, have you ever tried playing it competitively? I recently read some interesting tricks here One moment, please...
It's a fun and challenging sport that requires quick reflexes and good hand-eye coordination.
Can you tell us a bit more about yourself, and your experience in MA?

Fungus

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Not sure about the english/american term, but in my langauge we have two words... we have the same word sport and it means basicall "competitive game" so competitive fishing, motor racing, chess, competitive computer gaming, competeitive darts, are all "sports". It has nothing to do with physical activity

Then we have another word for "physical sports" where im unaware of an english match. To this category one would exclude non physical or non athletic "sport games"

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think, when you boil it down to the bare essentials, sports are activities that meet the following:
  1. Played competitively
  2. Organized into some kind of league
  3. Requires some kind of physical skill
So, chess is a game because there is no form of physical skill, and in fact, you can play entirely electronically of, if you're smart enough, without even a board.

Auto racing, golf, tennis, curling, bowling, etc are all sports.

eSports are also sport:

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think, when you boil it down to the bare essentials, sports are activities that meet the following:
  1. Played competitively
  2. Organized into some kind of league
  3. Requires some kind of physical skill
So, chess is a game because there is no form of physical skill, and in fact, you can play entirely electronically of, if you're smart enough, without even a board.

Auto racing, golf, tennis, curling, bowling, etc are all sports.

eSports are also sport:

Golf and bowling can be played solo. Do they cease to be a sport in that case?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Sport vs. Hobby. Too darn subjective for me to decide.
I don't think sport and hobby are more than superficially related. It seems a little like saying I could eat lunch or eat at a restaurant. They are kind of related... but not mutually exclusive or dependent
Golf and bowling can be played solo. Do they cease to be a sport in that case?
No, you don't have to participate in the league for the activity to be a sport. As long as you're playing according to the rules of the sport, it's sport.

To put a finer point on it, hitting balls at the driving range isn't sport. Playing a round of golf is sport. Same with bowling. If you're keeping score and playing according to the rules, it counts even if you aren't in a league or competing against someone else. The structure of the sport still exists, even if you aren't fully engaged in it.

In my opinion.

bluepanther

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I don't think sport and hobby are more than superficially related. It seems a little like saying I could eat lunch or eat at a restaurant. They are kind of related... but not mutually exclusive or dependent
No, you don't have to participate in the league for the activity to be a sport. As long as you're playing according to the rules of the sport, it's sport.

To put a finer point on it, hitting balls at the driving range isn't sport. Playing a round of golf is sport. Same with bowling. If you're keeping score and playing according to the rules, it counts even if you aren't in a league or competing against someone else. The structure of the sport still exists, even if you aren't fully engaged in it.

In my opinion.
Someone can play football with friends or do karate as a hobby. Maybe when they take it more seriously then it becomes a sport? I go to my local pool to swim a few laps for fun but I don't consider myself engaging in the sport of swimming.

Fungus

Blue Belt
Reaction score
do karate as a hobby. Maybe when they take it more seriously then it becomes a sport?
Whoa! Foul mouth.

One of our sensei thinks "sports karate" is foul language he prefers to not speak of. He seems to suggest it's the other way around, that real serious karate is an art, and not a sport.