What condition do you carry your weapon?

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
I carry in condition 3 because that is how I was taught and I feel it is the safest.

condition 0 bullet in chamber, no safety or safety off example: glock

condition 1 bullet in chamber, safety on example: 1991

condition 2 bullet in chamber, safety on, decocked example: miltary started with beretta 92

condition 3 no bullet in chamber, no safety or safety off example: miltary 1911 before beretta 92

condition 4 magazine out of firearm example: any auto pistol

daviddz

White Belt
Reaction score
Typically, I carry a 1911 so I carry in condition 1. That's how I was trained.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

OP
B

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
Typically, I carry a 1911 so I carry in condition 1. That's how I was trained.

Most schools teach condition 1 because it .4 seconds faster.
What they don't tell you is how many people shoot themself pulling their gun from a holster.
Half of which are in law enforcment or so called experts.
One of the deputies in my county shoot himself practicing his quick draw.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The vast majority of the time I carry a Glock 19. Condition 0, by your criteria.
On the occasion that I carry a 1911, it's condition 1 on your scale.
Carrying a gun the way it was designed to be carried is perfectly safe.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you're afraid to carry a loaded gun, perhaps this would be your best bet...

OP
B

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
The vast majority of the time I carry a Glock 19. Condition 0, by your criteria.
On the occasion that I carry a 1911, it's condition 1 on your scale.
Carrying a gun the way it was designed to be carried is perfectly safe.

If you read manuals from miltary experts from ww1 and ww2, It says carry the 1911 in condition 3. Condition 1 is for after you are finished with condition 0.

OP
B

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
My father-in-law shoot expert and fought in ww2 and would never carry a 1911 in conditon 1.
When I was in the service I was taught to carry in condition 3.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you read manuals from miltary experts from ww1 and ww2, It says carry the 1911 in condition 3. Condition 1 is for after you are finished with condition 0.

You do know it’s not 1942, right? That tolerances and reliability and pretty much everything to do with engineering and fabrication and functionality and reliability have improved in the last 100 years?
Those military experts also specify hardball ammo. Which I’m also not going to use.
For that matter, in 1942 it actually mattered what caliber you carried. Just another thing that’s no longer true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
You do know it’s not 1942, right? That tolerances and reliability and pretty much everything to do with engineering and fabrication and functionality and reliability have improved in the last 100 years?
Those military experts also specify hardball ammo. Which I’m also not going to use.
For that matter, in 1942 it actually mattered what caliber you carried. Just another thing that’s no longer true.

If you don't want to pull the side because you need that .4 seconds, sell that piece of juck glock, get a beretta 92 and use condition 2.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you don't want to pull the side because you need that .4 seconds, sell that piece of juck glock, get a beretta 92 and use condition 2.

Applying your logic:
If you’re afraid to carry a loaded gun, reconsider if you should carry at all.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 39746

If i recall 1911 doctrine right, you are meant to carry it safety on with a round in the chamber and the hammer back. * Now you can see why somone may be hesitant to carry it like that, and you can also see why it can be policy for some places to carry with the chamber empty. (if its not legally required anyway)

The conditions are just ehh to me, why cant you just say how you carry it, i could get maybe maagzine out and cleared being shortened, and the polar opposite.

Also, i thought the general stance was, carrying is better than not, so anything you need to do to make yourself feel safer carrying the thing should be done. And the glaring issue with isralie carry isnt really deploy time, its if you get entangled so cant actually chamber a round.

*That is probbly post WW2, or in WW2/1 if you plan on using the thing shortly, and not just a officer who is going toc arry it more than shoot. I just thought back to it and the person i got that one from was post WW2, i will have a scrumamge for some manuals.

Oh, i carry my fists firmly locked in condition 0, all the time, every time.

OP
B

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
Applying your logic:
If you’re afraid to carry a loaded gun, reconsider if you should carry at all.

I work on guns. I got my CHL in 1995, because it made it easy to transport guns legally with a license. before that I had to put the gun unloaded in the truck of the car.
I love guns, their history, new innovations, how they are used in the past and present. I can do things like customize a trigger, blue guns, etc.
I used a custom shoulder holster for 20+ years, but now I love the vertx essential sling 2.0.
You should check it out. Best way to carry your gun, medical supplies, phone, light, etc.

OP
B

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
If i recall 1911 doctrine right, you are meant to carry it safety on with a round in the chamber and the hammer back. * Now you can see why somone may be hesitant to carry it like that, and you can also see why it can be policy for some places to carry with the chamber empty. (if its not legally required anyway)

The conditions are just ehh to me, why cant you just say how you carry it, i could get maybe maagzine out and cleared being shortened, and the polar opposite.

Also, i thought the general stance was, carrying is better than not, so anything you need to do to make yourself feel safer carrying the thing should be done. And the glaring issue with isralie carry isnt really deploy time, its if you get entangled so cant actually chamber a round.

*That is probbly post WW2, or in WW2/1 if you plan on using the thing shortly, and not just a officer who is going toc arry it more than shoot. I just thought back to it and the person i got that one from was post WW2, i will have a scrumamge for some manuals.

Oh, i carry my fists firmly locked in condition 0, all the time, every time.

Liked your post. The conditions came from .US miltary. It is the standard everyone uses for the pass 100 years.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I work on guns. I got my CHL in 1995, because it made it easy to transport guns legally with a license. before that I had to put the gun unloaded in the truck of the car.
I love guns, their history, new innovations, how they are used in the past and present. I can do things like customize a trigger, blue guns, etc.
I used a custom shoulder holster for 20+ years, but now I love the vertx essential sling 2.0.
You should check it out. Best way to carry your gun, medical supplies, phone, light, etc.

Never cared for shoulder holsters. Inside the waistband at 4 o’clock for me.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I like them too, except when I real need to go to the bathroom and it falls on the floor.

Never had that problem. I’d say adjust the retension on the holster so it holds a tiny bit better.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't carry anymore. Not for any political or philosophical reasons, just that I can't at either my day job or my night job...so why bother?

When I did carry, and if I carried again, it would always be Condition 0, either with double action or Glock-type of a pistol. I specifically choose those weapons for ease of draw.

If I were to carry a 1911, it would be Condition 1. If I carried a DA/SA, it would be Condition 2. Firing a DA trigger or undoing the safety is the least amount of action until I am ready to fire, and it's less likely I will have a mental error that causes me to be unable to fight.

daviddz

White Belt
Reaction score

But if you read the works of Jeff Cooper (founder of Gunsite), he claims the only way to carry a 1911 is in condition 1.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

What ammo I carry depends on my firearm.
  • My .380 LCP carries ball ammo (although some of that is because there's a little bit of lag in between shots with hollowpoints).
  • My .38 Special and 9mm carry premium SD ammo
  • My .40 and .357 carry bulk hollowpoints

Latest Discussions