What CMA do you Practice?

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
One other question Bowser...your teacher says he trained with Dr. Yang Jwing Ming for awhile in I guess chin na and Yang tai chi, seminars or formal study? I ask because one of my sifu, Sigung Jeff Bolt, is the senior student of Dr. Yang Jwing Ming and currently resides here in Houston. Would be interested in what he learned from Dr. Yang. Thanks.

Ah sorry to have left this post so long unanswered. Yes he learns Yang Family Tai Chi , as well as Baghuazhang, and Longfist. I do not know the frequency with which he travels to train with Dr. Yang in Boston but I know he does. They also work alot , and I do mean ALOT of Chin Na applications as well. I am sure when the two of them are together they go over alot of stuff. Dr. Yang alone is a virtual encyclopedia of knowledge. I have a few of his books and DVD's and they are the best I have ever bought.

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have several of his books as well and they are most excellent sources for chin na techniques. There are so many chin na techniques that its hard to learn all of them.

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have several of his books as well and they are most excellent sources for chin na techniques. There are so many chin na techniques that its hard to learn all of them.

Yeah , supposedly there are hundreds of them. Eventually I hope to learn alot of them. I think though that it will boil down to the 12 or so that are simplest and most effective. While it is nice to know hundreds, the ones that you train the most will become the instinctive response ones that will get you out of a jam. My Sifu is a Police Officer and he tells me that he uses his Chin Na often on the job. Its the safest way to submit a person in the street. The best non-lethal way perhaps. Short of stun guns and those types of defensive weapons.

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think if I stopped and thought about it I probably know about 20 chin na techniques by heart that I could apply easily. I wish I knew more but 20 is good enough.

I wish I had someone near me that I could study tai chi from. The only tai chi person around hear is Sin The' (Shaolin Do) and what they teach is a made of form that they call the yang short form. It looks nothing like the yang short form that everyone else does.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wish I had someone near me that I could study tai chi from. The only tai chi person around hear is Sin The' (Shaolin Do) and what they teach is a made of form that they call the yang short form. It looks nothing like the yang short form that everyone else does.

It's Chen Man Ching's 37 step form. It's his rendition of the Yang 108 since by his own admission (possibly joking) that he was too lazy to practice the full 108 so he cut it down, removed repetition from it & condensed it.

What "everybody" else does you're referring to is probably the PRC standard 24 step. It's not Yang at all. It may be based on Yang, but it's not Yang by definition.

Hagakure

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'll be restarting Wing Chun soon, after a break for studying/parenthood/redundancy/new job/daughter with health issues, so I'm itching to get back into it. :D

Jaspthecat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've been studying Xing Yi Quan for about a year.

Thoroughly enjoy it!

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been studying Xing Yi Quan for about a year.

Thoroughly enjoy it!

Can you tell us a little bit about Xing Yi (Hsing I)? I know very little about it. I know it's linear and that when attacking you don't stop until you have defeated your opponent. I've read where it is compared to a train speeding forward. What else can you tell us, I'd like to learn more about it.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm studying Bagua under Sifu Andy Dale. I'm looking to get into Chen Tai Chi as well, and though my sifu doesn't teach it currently, I'm hoping to learn Xingyi from him also. I have also studied Kyokushin karate, small circle jui-jitsu, and a smattering of arnis, capoeira, muy thai, and wing chun.

Jaspthecat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Can you tell us a little bit about Xing Yi (Hsing I)? I know very little about it. I know it's linear and that when attacking you don't stop until you have defeated your opponent. I've read where it is compared to a train speeding forward. What else can you tell us, I'd like to learn more about it.

It's just my opinion from the way I'm taught but I like the fact that it concentrates far more on the mechanics of the body to develop power and not the form of the move itself like in a TKD pattern or Karate Kata.

In my TKD years, I was always rigid in my technique and fighting, trying to use my muscles to generate power in a strike. Xing Yi teaches you to relax your muscles and strike as the whole body and not just a foot or fist.

I've recently started Krav Maga in which we do a lot of bag work and sparring, I've been absolutely amazed by how much power I've managed to put into strikes through the using the principals in Xing Yi.

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wudang/ Bagua Zhang- Fu Zhen Song lineage
Ip Man Wing Chun via- Moy Yat- Ip Ching lineage
TKD/ Hapkido- Chang Soo Lim (Chang Moo Kwan)
Judo/ Japanese Ju-jitsu- via Jigoro Kano lineage from USJA-USJF
BJJ- no idea (actually we never talked about lineage just submitted each other)
Wu Xing Tong Bei/ Yang Taiji Quan- Li Guo Cheng (Shandong)
Qi Xing Tong Long- Wong Han Fun/Chung Ho Yin/Henry Chung/(Me)
Shotokan Karate/ Cuong Nhu- Howard Hannon (Ngo Dong lineage)
Bei Shaolin- Sifu Zhang (China)

Trained in other arts: etc...

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's just my opinion from the way I'm taught but I like the fact that it concentrates far more on the mechanics of the body to develop power and not the form of the move itself like in a TKD pattern or Karate Kata.

In my TKD years, I was always rigid in my technique and fighting, trying to use my muscles to generate power in a strike. Xing Yi teaches you to relax your muscles and strike as the whole body and not just a foot or fist.

I've recently started Krav Maga in which we do a lot of bag work and sparring, I've been absolutely amazed by how much power I've managed to put into strikes through the using the principals in Xing Yi.

How long do you guys practice San Ti Shi? And what other postures would you use in practice with the foundation training?

Thanks a lot :)

sho'nuff

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
peace and blessings! brand spankin new to this site. lets see. currently i train in a mixed style. it contains tiger, snake, fma, jma, and african arts. the organization is called combative arts international. my instructor trains the police department and some times the air force reserve in hand to hand combat. my true formal and tradional training training through out the years has been many years of wing chun and hung gar, 7 star mantis, a little bit of clf, baqua and myzongyi. i have trained in jma early in my life but i am die heart kung fu. i am very serious about sparring and application of hand to hand combat and weapons application(dont find that much anymore) and i think to become a better martial artist sparring against different arts is very important.

i live in the buffalo area but i am relocating to atlanta and will be, well i hope to be training in clf with sifu stone or northern shaolin with paths atlanta, peace

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
peace and blessings! brand spankin new to this site. lets see. currently i train in a mixed style. it contains tiger, snake, fma, jma, and african arts. the organization is called combative arts international. my instructor trains the police department and some times the air force reserve in hand to hand combat. my true formal and tradional training training through out the years has been many years of wing chun and hung gar, 7 star mantis, a little bit of clf, baqua and myzongyi. i have trained in jma early in my life but i am die heart kung fu. i am very serious about sparring and application of hand to hand combat and weapons application(dont find that much anymore) and i think to become a better martial artist sparring against different arts is very important.

i live in the buffalo area but i am relocating to atlanta and will be, well i hope to be training in clf with sifu stone or northern shaolin with paths atlanta, peace

Awesome! Glad to have you here, also good luck on the relocating. I may be doing that pretty soon as well. But at least you have a few schools in mind to train at after you relocate.

All the best, good luck with the move.

Jaspthecat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
How long do you guys practice San Ti Shi? And what other postures would you use in practice with the foundation training?

Thanks a lot :)

I probably do about 10 mins San ti Shi and the Yi Quan variant in class.

I must admit I don't practice much outside class which is a great travesty as postures are absolutely essential in my experience for progressing in XYQ.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I probably do about 10 mins San ti Shi and the Yi Quan variant in class.

I must admit I don't practice much outside class which is a great travesty as postures are absolutely essential in my experience for progressing in XYQ.

As my Xingyiquan sigung said "if you can't stand in Santi shi for 20 minutes your not even a beginner". He was talking per side for a total of 40 minutes per day.

By that standard I never made it to beginner I only got to 15 minutes, per side, per day, in santi.

Latest Discussions